• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal TC Hawken & 54 cal Lyman GPR Range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Back in the mid 70's I bought a 50 cal TC Hawken percussion rifle kit, until recently I only fired about 50 rnds through her. Then about 6-8 yrs ago I bought a Lyman GPR IN 54 cal also percussion, and only fired maybe 50 rnds through her as well. Lately after many yrs of shooting long range tactical, and F class, I've renewed my interest in black powder shooting. Last week I took the TC Hawken to the range, after I got her sighted in @ 100 yrds I was shooting at at Visi-Shot sight in target it's 12"x12" with a 4"x4" square in the center. I was shooting .495 Hornaday lead balls, 80 grns FFG powder, .018 pillow ticking patches, and useing Hoppes 9 plus black powder solvent and patch lube. I fired 10 shots at the target from a sand bag rest, 5 shots went into the 4"x4" square, 2 shots were on the square's line and three were a few inches away from the square.
Today I brought the GPR to the range, I was shooting .535 Hornaday lead balls, 85 grns of FFG, TC patches unknown thickness, and used Hoppes 9 plus I was shooting @ 100 yrds. At the same type of targets, and again with a sand bag rest, and I took 10 shots on target, this time I put 7 shots in the 4"x4" square, one shot touching the square's line and two shots about an inch outside the square. Now I know this results isn't going to win any medals, I'm not sure it's even good as I have nothing to judge it against, and very little knowledge of what these rifles are capable of. But I'm satisfied with my results as I haven't shot these rifle in a long time and when I did shoot them it was very limited, really aside from loading and shooting them I know very little about them or as I've said I don't know their capabilities. But that's it my range report, I'll be shooting them at least once a week from now on they're just wat too much fun to put back in the safe😀😀😀
Paul

It's less a question of balance and more a question of how well each gun fits you since you can easily find the point of balance on either the GPR or T/C. For ex., the GPR has more drop (and a longer bbl.) than the T/C, but it fits me perfectly whereas the T/C does not. I.e., I have to crane my neck a great deal to sight and fire the T/C, but not the GPR.

Latest posts

Back