• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal not hitting broadside of barn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good reply. For sighting purposes a 6-bull target posted vertically can be of value. Aim at the center bull. If you hit the top one you know front sight is too low. Bottom reverse situation. But you will, at least, know.

Danny Ross said:
..........My buddy's boy tried 3f in his TC Renegade and he couldn't get it to group for love nor money at 50yds and he tried different loads. Yeah he was really frustrated :cursing: . I handed him some 2f to try and he had a tight group with the next 3 shots, tried one more round of 3f no where close, next round 2f in the group. I traded him a can of 2f for the can of 3f he had and he has never looked back :grin: . That gun diffidently told him what powder it wanted and what load, which he got correct right off the bat with the 2f. He killed his first deer with a sidelock muzzleloader that year, off hand, at 70-75yds, and center punched the chest of that deer. I stood there and watched him do it......DANNY

I picked up some 3f to see if it would group better than 2f in my T/C Renegade. You just saved me a whole bunch of hair pulling. I would like to hang on to what hair I have left. :)

Thank you.

Having shot and worked up loads for TC sidelocks I have never ran into one that grouped better with 3f than 2f. I have seen GM barrels that don't like 2f and prefer 3f though.

The Lyman hunter model would probably be served best with the plastic things we are not allowed to discuss here. As far as lead conical I would go directly to the Great Plains bullet and work up a load with it.

If it were my barrel it would be on it's way to Bob Hyot to be recut to .54 roundball twist.

IMO I would continue to BUY your bullets or sabots, rather than attempt to mold your own at this point, no need to put another variable in the mix. Another thing i would for sure be shooting off a solid rest, as to also take another " human" variable away.... A rock solid rest will tell you exactly what the rifle is doing.

I'd sell the gun and buy one with more predictable and desired results.

Unless you enjoy the endless tinkering, I'd say, 'know when to let go'...It's like trying to grow tomatoes upside down....Sounds neat, but doesn't work well and ends up teaching people to hate gardening.

Generally I would disagree as Dutch always said every rifle has its load. However I am one range trip away from having my .36 Hoytized into a .38 or .40.

So Clyde's right, again, kinda :blah:

Colorado Clyde said:
I'd sell the gun and buy one with more predictable and desired results.

Unless you enjoy the endless tinkering, I'd say, 'know when to let go'...It's like trying to grow tomatoes upside down....Sounds neat, but doesn't work well and ends up teaching people to hate gardening.

I had a very desirable OT rifle I let go.....but after I exhausted all effort in trying to make it shoot. It just shot to the left now matter what.

With that said, the factory adjustable GPR sight was horrible. My GPR had a wandering zero.
I put "primitive" non adjustable sights and now it's a good rifle.

No amount of shooting....tinkering or what have you will help if the rear sight does not stay set. You can't shoot out of sight related wandering zero problems.

A loose breech and barrel keys can cause a wandering zero as well but that is relatively rare.

Have you ever checked the Bobcat to see if there is a bulge in the barrel .

You short start and forget to seat the ball. Bingo! a Bulged barrel and a ruined barrel.

It's easy to do right in the middle of a nice conversation and you didn't notice doing it at the time.

If you find no bulge it must be something else.

Dutch

Leatherbark said:
Sounds like the filing might have been slightly too much the bullet is exiting and climbing up to hit the target at 25 and is still climbing and is shooting over the target at 50.

Bob

Funny thing , I thought that's what I said in the post above yours.LOL

I had a GPR that I did the exact same thing with.

It wasn't the Hunter,it was the round ball gun.

Took to much off the front sight and was good at 25 and high at 50.

No bulged barrel Dutch. Have no clue. :idunno: I will put on a different rear site to make sure thats not the issue and try 6-1, 7-1 and 8-1 as well as spit. If its still erratic it's getting shipped to Mr Hoyt for a rebore to .38 or .40.

Try 7 to 1 mix But more importantly try a thicker (compressed measurement) shooting patch.
I'm not trying to prevent business for Mr Hoyt. but I think you are giving up without trying everything,

I went to Fairfield, PS, within shouting distance of Gettysberg, to give Mr Hoyt a .36 caliber rifle that needed conversion to something larger and he showed me that he had develop a method to induce progressive twist rifling. A method that have the projectile begin with a slower twist and increase the rate of twist as it proceeded down the barrel.
I thought it had great promise but never heard anything further..

Mr Hoyt is a good man who does good work and can be trusted with your damaged barrel.

I left Fairfield after sundown and within minutes saw signs pointing to Little RoundTop so I knew where I was. I took a grand tour of the famous battlefield in complete dark.. I didn't see any of the hundreds of ghosts said to be in the area.

Dutch Schoultz.

I'm not trying to prevent business for Mr Hoyt. but I think you are giving up without trying everything,

Forgot to mention I have been screwing around with this .36 for about 15 years :idunno: Have tried everything but a new rear site and your system :( Realy wanted a .36 too

There is nothing wrong with conicals excrpt, to my mindm they were a rather late development coming into use after 1830 and they either work in your rifle or they don't. I am aware of no adjustments you can make touring them in line (Ecuse the expression) I believe your only hope is to seek out a different source of your conicals to find one that makes a more perfect fit, creating that seal I talk about.

I wittnessed a young man firing conicals , maybe Maxie balls out of a T/C Renegade getting amazingly tight groups.
The Minie ball has an expanding skirt that spreads and creates that seal on its way out..

The round ball which was used since the beginning of gunpowder can be adjusted in a variety of to produce amazing accuracy in an equally amazing variety of rifles I worked with at the range

Fiddling with the variables, bringing the rifle in lin e(sorry) has been great fun for me.

Ditch

The target is a 4 foot by 3 foot piece of card board. I have 2 targets attached the bottom is a paper plate about the height of a deers kill zone and the second is a cross of white tape. On bench I am actually shooting a little down. Biel I've when I say this is why I am on here to begin with. How is it possible that I am not hitting anything when I aim all over the target. But get groups at 25 consistent.

Back