• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal cva double barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a 50cal cva kodiak express double barrel rifle for sale, what's the deal with these guns ? Any good ?

The guns themselves are usually well made and work well. They are now available from .50 to .72 caliber. The problem I've always found is that they fall in a price range that prevents the level of detail required to regulate both barrels to a common point of aim like expensive English rifles will be. In some cases, they will be close enough for hunting, in some you may have to load two different type loads to get their POA to a common spot. Some shooters will develop the best performance and set the sights to that load, then use a bit of Kentucky-windage to use the same sight for the other barrel. It's a little hard to give you a solid answer, but they are pretty good guns.

there was one for sale on another forum recently. the feller used one of the fold-down express sights for the left barrel & the other sight for the right barrel. don't know if this is common or not.

CVA is not a Kodiak. Those are made by Pedersoli. CVA made a side by side and over/under. The side by sides reportedly had problems getting the barrels regulated. I remember one Shot Show review wherin CVA claimed they had solved the problem by regulating with bore mounted lasers. If so, why did they finally go to an adjustable muzzle collar (barrels allowed to move VS bound by a solid rib)? Of course, the Kodiaks are not really regulated in that they rely on independent rear folding leaves. If I bought a CVA double, it would be the version with the shotgun style rib, just because they look neat. IIRC, these were offered in .50.

Don't know if you have the CVA or the Kodiak. I have had a 1978 vintage CVA with the fixed barrels for many years. Won't shoot anything but round balls with any kind of accuracy but shoots them very well. Keeps both barrels in an 8" or smaller circle at 75 yards with 90 grains of FF triple 7. Have killed a couple of deer with it at 80-100 yards but hardly ever take a shot over 75 yards. Illinois has no problem with the double in the muzzle loader season.

Personally, I keep HOPING that the Kodiak will "come back with" the 12x12 ML Cape-Gun with the left barrel rifled.
(They made a FEW of those 20+ years ago.)

A hunter so armed would be "in fine shape" most everywhere for ANY lawful game.= I wouldn't be afraid to hunt Cape Buffalo, BIG cats, grizzly or polar bears with that combination-gun!!!

yours, satx

Could you not send a set of double rifled barrels out to that oft recommending relining gent and havs one bored to 20 if not 12 guage?

I just got a CVA express double barrel .50 rifle from a pawn shop. Barrels were very clean and trigger assembly on both barrels worked fine. Took it out and first shot hit bullseye at 35 yards with 40 gr of FFFg triple 7. After three shots for each barrels, one trigger assembly would not catch at full cock. Half cock worked fine. I took it off and the spring was slipping so I pushed spring in place. But still could not get full cock position. Does anyone know if there is a gunsmith around Daytona Beach, Orlando, St. Augustine areas? Thanks.

The guns themselves are usually well made and work well. They are now available from .50 to .72 caliber. The problem I've always found is that they fall in a price range that prevents the level of detail required to regulate both barrels to a common point of aim like expensive English rifles will be. In some cases, they will be close enough for hunting, in some you may have to load two different type loads to get their POA to a common spot. Some shooters will develop the best performance and set the sights to that load, then use a bit of Kentucky-windage to use the same sight for the other barrel. It's a little hard to give you a solid answer, but they are pretty good guns.
I was not going to accept having to use two different loads in the barrels on my Kodiak twin .58 caliber.
I cut a .5 x .25 x 2" bar, double dovetailed it, and mounted 2 x Marbles type 69EW sights.
I adjusted them to meet at 75 yards using a single front sight.
Mine was made in 1968 and customized by Trail Guns Armory in Texas (now closed) with a rust brown finish, Mercury recoil dampener and a rubber buttpad.
It's a hoot to shoot - a double barrel is twice the fun to shoot, and not that much harder to clean.
20201024_145413.jpg

Latest posts

Back