• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

5.5 inch Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
OK gents I just got an 1858 Remington with a 5.5 inch barrel and I have one question. Do I have to file the bejeppers out of the front sight like I've had to do with my 8 inch Remingtons? My other Remingtons shot low until I filed the sights but I'm wondering if the shorter barrel will need the same work on the front sight.

Don

Don said:
I have to file the bejeppers out of the front sight like I've had to do with my 8 inch Remingtons? My other Remingtons shot low until I filed the sights but I'm wondering if the shorter barrel will need the same work on the front sight.
Have you fired it yet?

Not yet, Just got it today. Just wondering about others experience with the Remington shorty.

Don

I haven't thoroughly tested mine, but it seemed to shoot a bit low with RB's, which is good since I intend to mostly shoot conicals. I'm hoping they be closer to POA at 15 yds.

Don said:
Do I have to file the bejeppers out of the front sight like I've had to do with my 8 inch Remingtons? My other Remingtons shot low until I filed the sights but I'm wondering if the shorter barrel will need the same work on the front sight.

Don

What range do you want it sighted in for? My 5.5" shoots POA at 25 feet with round ball and 30 grains of BP. It's bone stock.

I even have a 1849 that shoots just about perfect at 15 yds (I thought they were way less accurate).

I would sure shoot it several times (at least) before messing with the sites. Things change after several rounds (or 100 rounds) then if taken too low ya gotta add some which isnt easy

Swathdiver,

Not lookin to shoot beyond 15 yards. Your reply was very helpful.

Don

Glad you guys were talking about this.....I just picked one up today at Cabela's. We went in to pick up the 1862 Police .36 that my wife wanted and found that this model was on sale so I had to have one. Not even clean yet but I will let you know how it goes for me. Hope I don't need a lot of modifications.

Anyway I know it will be fun to shoot.

I really enjoy my Cimmeron/Uberti stainless Remington 5.5"
As is with 30 grs. of 3f it does shoot 8" low at 25 yds.
The trigger is extremely fine ( not overly light ) but crisp.
It has to be one of the finest hand guns I have ever owned ( and I have had very many! )
So all I can suggest is to shoot several cylinders of your favourite combination.
I prefer 3f black and .454 rb
I have tried conical bullet, but they were too much trouble, for my fat fingers.
The conical bullets do make a difference on silhouette steel targets.
Keep at it, and tell us how it all worked out.
Fred

At about 20 feet the gun shot a couple of inches low. Did a little filing and I was on target. I am very pleased with the gun and plan to carry it in the field and on woods walks. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Don

Latest posts

Back