• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

5.5 inch howitzer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Brenner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
During a recent conversation I had with some friends concerning loading, ramming, and swabbing ML cannon, we got on the subject of loading, ramming, and swabbing procedures for chambered pieces; specifically 5.5. inch howitzers and mortars. The question was whether or not #1 used his hand to place the charge in the chamber or used the rammer to insert the charge. It would seem safer to ram the charge as opposed to inserting it by hand, but, on some repro howitzers, the transition between the bore and the chamber is such that the charge will not slide into place.

So, with that as a preface, what's the accepted/best/recommended procedure for loading a blank round into a howitzer? We can talk about swabbing later.

Thanks.

A rammer with a cradle to hold loose or preload powder sized to match the powder chamber. Insert it in, rotate to leave the powder in the chamber.

I know a person who was inserting a blank charge into a Napoleon when it went off. I believe his hand was inside the muzzle. That was about 20 years back and to this day no one has seen his forearm or what remains of his hand as he keeps it wrapped with an Ace bandage.

He ought to do the Captain Hook routine. Knew a guy at NASA who'd lost his right hand in an accident and definitely got the most out of the artificial one he had. His favorite trick was to unhook it from his connection, pull the spring loaded cords to open the grip and wait for a secretary to pass by...reach out & touch skirt, release grip and 'snap', eek! Sometimes thought if I had half as much fun with something like that it'd be worth losing a hand...sort of!!

Latest posts

Back