• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F Black Powder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe a little earlier than that.

THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE
September 25, 1736
Charleston, South Carolina
JUST imported in the King George, Jacob Ayres from London, white and colour'd plains, strip'd duffils, bullets, shot, F FF FFF gunpowder, Saxe Gotha hoop-petticoats,

Spence
In 1736, black powder was a mite different than todays powder.

I'm curious. Way back on page #6, post #106 of this marathon thread, I posted details of serious attempts by Sam Fadala to blow up normal barrels with all sorts of drastic overloads and obstructions. He failed with all, even ridiculous overloads which were loaded in a normal way, bullet on the powder. No amount of powder could do it.

Someone else mentioned the video showing a barrel filled completely with BP which was fired without damage.

Is there nothing to be learned from such tests? Can anyone read such reports and still be afraid their gun is going to blow up if they accidentally load a double charge? Any size charge? Is there anything which can cause us to reconsider such ingrained dogma?

Spence

I have been asked to photograph my powder by someone in this debate.
I have also measured it in metric mm.
There are no warnings or recommendations on the bottle.
IMG_20200624_164430513.jpg

I'm curious. Way back on page #6, post #106 of this marathon thread, I posted details of serious attempts by Sam Fadala to blow up normal barrels with all sorts of drastic overloads and obstructions. He failed with all, even ridiculous overloads which were loaded in a normal way, bullet on the powder. No amount of powder could do it.

Someone else mentioned the video showing a barrel filled completely with BP which was fired without damage.

Is there nothing to be learned from such tests? Can anyone read such reports and still be afraid their gun is going to blow up if they accidentally load a double charge? Any size charge? Is there anything which can cause us to reconsider such ingrained dogma?

Spence
Friend I remember some of your tests with your smoothbore. Some of your loads would cause some to faint.
I recommend some smelling salts close at hand before some read said accounts 👍

Spence

I'm not afraid. Although I still wouldn't recommend it on a public forum.

My gripe with 4F is the moisture it sucks in and I don't think it would be the most accurate load.

The following is a reply I just received from GOEX about 4F.

Hello , Very good thing you contacted us.

Ffffg or 4fg should never ever be used as a main charge.

This powder is for flash pans on flintlocks only.

Use fffg for the main charge in pistols

Use ffg for rifle up to 54 caliber

Use fg for rifle larger than 54

Thank you

Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218

High humidity? Sure when it's getting ready to rain or snow. Which is quite often in the fall.

That would be in the mountains. Which is the only place I hunt.

Moderation in all things, powder charges included.
I figger fine grain powder is about like what the radiation education officer told us.

"It's just like Jack Daniels. A little bit won't hurt you. A lot spread out over a long length of time probably won't hurt you. But a lot at one time and you're gonna hurt."

I'm not afraid. Although I still wouldn't recommend it on a public forum.

My gripe with 4F is the moisture it sucks in and I don't think it would be the most accurate load.
Sure, sure, so why then do you want others to be afraid?
The issue we have been discussing for the last 25 pages is not the hydroscopic property of 4f, it is the false assertion by some that it is "unsafe" to use as a main charge.

You don't "THINK" it would be accurate? Upon what experience or testing do you base that?

The issue we have been discussing for the last 25 pages is not the hydroscopic property of 4f, it is the false assertion by some that it is "unsafe" to use as a main charge.

You don't "THINK" it would be accurate? Upon what experience or testing do you base that?

You forget what I was talking about earlier in the thread. It was all about moisture.

What experience? 40 years of hunting with sidelocks. I started late in life with muzzleloaders but did my fair share of experimenting and testing. At the time I had no reason to save the results. I was doing it for myself. Pretty much like I do everything.

Maybe you have some proof that 4F is the most accurate load in your gun?

The following is a reply I just received from GOEX about 4F.

Hello , Very good thing you contacted us.

Ffffg or 4fg should never ever be used as a main charge.

This powder is for flash pans on flintlocks only.

Use fffg for the main charge in pistols

Use ffg for rifle up to 54 caliber

Use fg for rifle larger than 54

Thank you

Technical support
6430 vista dr.
Shawnee, Ks 66218

If you go the the web site of Swiss Powder, the front page notes 4f .
https://schuetzenpowder.com/swiss-black-powder/

Nobody needs to listen to me or you.

Listen to Goex and read the above post from them. If someone isn't sure they should at least listen to the company who makes the powder and not some forum expert.

I have been asked to photograph my powder by someone in this debate.
I have also measured it in metric mm.
There are no warnings or recommendations on the bottle.
View attachment 34992
Is that not 3F (.66mm), the chart shown on Schuetzen/Swiss powder manufacturer indicates
3F = 0.50 through 0.80mm and 4F = 0.25 through 0.50mm.

Last edited:
Its from Britain............LOL............perhaps Britain BP grades are a bit "off"?........LOL I hope so, be great fun to find out now. I will still use what ever I want. I shoot alone most the time anyway and those that dare shoot with me know me and have accepted the risk

Not sure why I am even reading this thread, but I did and I offer the following.

All powder is swiss. My measurements of 3F is about the same size as the Brits powder that he is using.

I did not even try to measure the null B powder.

The swiss powder also in my mind looks very consistent grain to grain.

Fleener

Attachments

• powder.jpg
    powder.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 64
Not sure why I am even reading this thread, but I did and I offer the following.

All powder is swiss. My measurements of 3F is about the same size as the Brits powder that he is using.

I did not even try to measure the null B powder.

The swiss powder also in my mind looks very consistent grain to grain.

Fleener

I just posted information shown on the web site below, click link and go to bottom of page.
https://schuetzenpowder.com/swiss-black-powder/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back