• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder for Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was watching a youtube video of a guy shooting a Kibler Colonial. He loaded powder from his powder horn and then added patch and ball. Then he primed the pan with the powder from the same powder horn. I watched it several times to be sure I was seeing it right. I’m fairly new to muzzleloading and am under the impression that 3F powder is used for load and 4F for primer. Does anyone have an explanation???
Thanks!

My bad! He was pouring from the horn to a powder measure. He did pour directly to the pan.
Think about this and decide for yourself. If he charged the barrel from a measure, why? Because it is better to have 50 or 60 grains go off in your hand then the whole powder horn. If you are shooting a flintlock, and should experience preignition due to embers or whatever, is pouring directly from the horn into the pan OK? The barrel may be pointed in a safe direction, but what will occur at the touch hole?
I know my answer.
Larry

I used 2f or 3F to prime for years with no issue. About a year ago a friend was getting out of shooting and I bought the powder he had. There was a pound of 4F as well…. First time I used 4F…. I have to say I really don’t see a difference. Maybe there is and I just can’t tell…
i think back in the colonial times…. Those guys didn’t have the luxury of having different grades of powder… so it was one and done.

Think about this and decide for yourself. If he charged the barrel from a measure, why? Because it is better to have 50 or 60 grains go off in your hand then the whole powder horn. If you are shooting a flintlock, and should experience preignition due to embers or whatever, is pouring directly from the horn into the pan OK? The barrel may be pointed in a safe direction, but what will occur at the touch hole?
I know my answer.
Larry
Yes but....

Would not the powder you poured down the barrel have already been set off by the ember?

When shooting at a match with a bench etc. I find it is easiest to leave the powder horn on the bench and our club does not allow you to prime the gun until you are at the line, gun pointed down range. Woods walk is different and if someone wishes to prime with their main horn that works just as well.

I have several 4F priming tools but the vents on my flintlocks have opened up to the point that my flintlocks are self priming if I keep the frizzed closed. Bill

I use 3fg as the charge, and in the pan of my .32 caliber rifle, and it ignites fast. I've found 2fg in the pan to not be as reliable in igniting the main charge, so in my 2fg guns, I still use 4fg as the primer.

Yes but....

Would not the powder you poured down the barrel have already been set off by the ember?

When shooting at a match with a bench etc. I find it is easiest to leave the powder horn on the bench and our club does not allow you to prime the gun until you are at the line, gun pointed down range. Woods walk is different and if someone wishes to prime with their main horn that works just as well.
A good point to ponder, which I alread have done. It comes down to just how much risk a person wants to take. My thoughts may not agree with others, but to me it is so simple to just use a small push snout primer flask kept in the back pocket. Don't forget about Murphy's law too. ( "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".)
Larry

Honestly I think that burning ember line is a myth. I've never seen it happen, nor have I had it happen to me. I do not blow down the barrel either. That said, I'm still not going to pour powder directly from a horn into the barrel. Moreso because how can you gauge how much you're putting in versus using a measure, than the next to nil chance of an ember setting it off.

Honestly I think that burning ember line is a myth. I've never seen it happen, nor have I had it happen to me. I do not blow down the barrel either. That said, I'm still not going to pour powder directly from a horn into the barrel. Moreso because how can you gauge how much you're putting in versus using a measure, than the next to nil chance of an ember setting it off.
Totally your right to believe what you want!
Why do cannon shooters swab with a wet sponge between shots, then wait 1/2 hour before placing another charge? A rifle may be on a lower scale, but the same principle of chemistry is going on.

I personally have not had it happen to me. I don't hurry my powder charge after a shot, leaving ample time for embers to extinguish. I have heard testimony from other shooters who have had cook off occur to them, or seen it occur, so I am a believer.
Larry

I was watching a youtube video of a guy shooting a Kibler Colonial. He loaded powder from his powder horn and then added patch and ball. Then he primed the pan with the powder from the same powder horn. I watched it several times to be sure I was seeing it right. I’m fairly new to muzzleloading and am under the impression that 3F powder is used for load and 4F for primer. Does anyone have an explanation???
Thanks!
Back in the olden times, they used the same powder for everything. It's only in our modern times with easy available choices of powders that people decided to use a finer grain for priming. To each his own, but I bet the ignition times for the powders are only detectible by the most sophisticated modern electronic instruments. If someone wants to use 3 or 4F for priming, great! But is it really any faster than using 2F for load AND prime?

I use 3f for charge and prime, I suppose it may be slightly slower but not enough for me to tell. I know not everyone agrees with this, but I also feel 3f doesn't get damp as quickly in the pan. I used to have the occasional failure to fire due to damp prime but haven't had it happen once since switching to 3f.

Thanks!
I didn't read all the reply's, however NEVER load from your horn, powder can or any other container. ALWAYS use a measure. Also, I never use 4F. I always use the same powder in the pan as in the charge. Always have, always will. Semper Fi.

Latest posts

Back