• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.498 ball in a .54cal rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted W. Coombs

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Was diggen in a box of molds I have and came up with a .498 round ball mold. What's the chance of this size ball working ina .54 cal. rifle? Am I wasting my time or has anyone got this undersize ball to work with fairly good accuracy. Thanks for your input. Teton Ted

If you double your patches, you can usually get fair accuracy, but you will generally lose velocity, and the POI will be lower than if you used a larger diameter ball.

Teton Ted said:
Was diggen in a box of molds I have and came up with a .498 round ball mold. What's the chance of this size ball working ina .54 cal. rifle? Am I wasting my time or has anyone got this undersize ball to work with fairly good accuracy. Thanks for your input. Teton Ted
Can't hurt to try with some .022-.025" patches...if not competition bullseye accuracy, still might be fine for steel targets, coke cans, etc

Why even ask, try it out and then you can tell us. I've never tried balls much more than .010" under bore size except in smoothbores. I do recall reading in "Born Out of Season" by Marshal Ralph Hooker that he mentioned carrying a .44 caliber rifle and shooting .375" balls. He made no comment on accuracy except to say "most people will tell you that can't work, but they've never tried it".

You may get it to perform ok with the right patch.

You might not be able to hunt with it, however. For instance, Idaho has a rule saying a projectile has to be within .01 the bore size to be legal for big game. Hence, in a .54 it has to be a .53 projectile or it ain't legal. Course, if you are not hunting in Idaho you're fine.

Latest posts

Back