• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Smoothy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my wife a .56 SB by TC, which bears an eerie resemblance to her two Renegades (cue “Twilight Zone” theme). First three roundball shots at 25 yards grouped abt 2.5”.

I got all this written down somewhere but loading a 70 grain powder measure of #4 shot over 60 grains of FFF provided adequate groups on a turkey head target at 25 yards. This needs work - i was using shredded vegetable matting from a flower planter thingy soaked in mink oil boot waterproofing stuff as an overpowder wad. It worked but i think i was getting some serious gas blow-by.

Properly loaded, i think that .56 smoothy will probably prove a potential one gun for everything out to 50 yards.

don

Well, excuse me for asking a question and having an opinion.
See, if somebody has their mind made up, it confuses me if they ask the question, “what do you think of this?” I make the assumption that they want to hear different opinions, both pros and cons.

Yes, I seem to have run into that very same thing! How ironic!!!!
Robby

I think sometimes people forget that nobody is trying to impose their will on another. Questions are asked, various responses are given based on different folks’ experiences and preferences, and then people make up their minds on what they are going to do or if they are going to adjust their thinking. What works for one may seem useless to another, and vice versa. That’s not a problem at all.

There are two types of gun license in the UK. A shotgun and a firearm licence.
Anyone ( within limits) is entitled to a shotgun licence. For a firearm licence....read rifle...the applicant has to give a good reason to acquire a rifle. For example, vermin shooting, deer shooting or target shooting.
So once you put in your application the local police check on a list to see if the type of rifle you have requested falls inside the "guidelines" of use etc. For some bizarre and obscure reason the guidelines to the police of firearms licencing supplied by government strongly deterred the use of muzzleloading rifles for any hunting applicants!
So after many attempts I gave up trying and stuck to my smoothbores. Shotguns in muzzleloading form can be used to hunt with so that is what I use.
Back to the thread....when I saw this smoothrifle I was a little concerned. I wanted a .50 originally but the price was so good I could not resist it. It was in good shape inside and out so I chanced it. I got the nipple bolster and lock plate separated for eternity and supported the breach of the barrel with canvass, greased.
My little .45 handles well as a shotgun and has downed many birds off the wing. It is better than a 410 3" and I shoot a lot of 410 3"! I have a huge respect of 410!

My theory, I say theory because I have no proof nor do I seek any proof but have enough experience to feel it is a valid theory, is that while many for some obscure reason think a column of shot if taller than it is wide think it is bad, I don't! Is not a conventional shotgun choked barrel elongating a shot column?
So in my view any shall we say small bore muzzleloading shotgun with a tall column of shot is going to work and so far I have found that to be true.

The reason no black powder gun is considered fit for shooting large game in the UK is some idiot ' Beer Talker' ' Expert' ? was asked what he considerered suitable. & their all fixated with 270 & 243 . So based on foot pounds or muzzle velocity not common sense or centuries of practice the lower velosities of black power didn't meet the critieria ( Nor would 600 Nitro ) and of course any bow .But this tripe was just what Govt wanted to hear so happily adopted it . A wonderfull own goal.' So the Robin Hoods bow so useful at Agincourt & the Snider or Brown Bess each renown for effectivness could never by this idiot' Experts' formulee kill Deer ?.
No doubt leaving the field open for Gentlemen 'Beer talkers "& artfully dismissing the hoypoloy who might want to hunt but where not members . I went to a meeting once their President was a gun shop owner who's actual qualification for trade lay between his legs as he married the daughter of the previous owner and was the biggest snob you've ever want to find but had shot just one pathetic Roe in his life . With friends like him you don't need enemies .
Well out of it Rudyard

I had a civilian version of a Pat 42/F Model percussion smooth bore musket as a young teenager. I was given an antique pistol ball mould at about the same time and found much to my surprise that when loaded with a greased denim patch I could shoot rabbits regularly out to forty odd yards. I would either head or chest shoot them, so as not to spoil most of the meat. I discovered this quite by accident as I had limited knowledge and resources as a kid the a patched ball shot from a smoothbore was in fact quite accurate. I would have had that particular gun with me when we met that time in the mid 70's Rudyard.
It was much to my surprise to find many years later smooth rifles being purpose built. We are not allowed to hunt with muzzle loading arms here in Western Australia because of the same rubbish attitude of the beaurocrats in the fire arm registry. I do have one muzzle loading rifle on open license for hunting before this all changed a few years ago. All I can say is there are is a lot of dead game at my hands with a muzzle loader from a life time of hunting, and mostly clean kills.

I can remember when the first smooth bores were in 56 CAL. for the new black powder / primitive / hunting season. now the old 56'ers, are in high demand. if you can find one? thank GOD that THOMPSON CENTER stepped in way back when!

Centurion has a point , But Mr Robert Hoyt is well renowned for doing all such work. He can be found if you troll through the posts related to barrel work
.Rudyard

Back