Quantcast

.45 Smoothy?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Would a .45 smooth rifle be useful at all with shot? I'd mostly be using round ball but am curious if it could be used for small game?

-Smokey

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I think Britsmoothie shoots a .45 smoothie. Historically cr.45 smooth rifles and fowling pieces were known

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Would a .45 smooth rifle be useful at all with shot? I'd mostly be using round ball but am curious if it could be used for small game?

-Smokey
Ever hunt with a .410?
about the same or a little better.
Brittsmothy has killed half the game in the UK with his.

Reaction score
Sure am. It's taken plenty with 5/8-3/4 Oz loads.
View attachment 43081
View attachment 43084
Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly. I've also heard with round ball they can make tight groups out to 50 yards or so, plenty for whitetails in the Eastern American forests.

I'm wanting to find or have made a Schimmel or barn gun/poor boy smoothy. Would be super versatile not to mention bloody cool!

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly.
My ‘smallest’ smoothbore muzzleloader is a 56 caliber. At 25 yards and the correct load it will put down any small game. Killed plenty of game with a 410 as kid. Squirrels, rabbits, pheasants. If I had a 45 muzzleloader smoothbore I would have complete confidence in it for small game.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly. I've also heard with round ball they can make tight groups out to 50 yards or so, plenty for whitetails in the Eastern American forests.

I'm wanting to find or have made a Schimmel or barn gun/poor boy smoothy. Would be super versatile not to mention bloody cool!
IMG_20200104_154030231.jpg
DSC09440.JPG

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For those who don't know, Britsmoothy hunted in England for years using his .45 caliber smoothbore rifle using a patched roundball. He had excellent results with it slaying small game animals.

Then, one day, he received notification from the officials that using a single projectile in his smoothbore to hunt with was illegal in that country.
Since then, he has switched to using shot in his .45 smoothbore.

From what I've seen in the Muzzleloading Hunting section of the forum, going to shot hasn't hurt his success ratio but the experience has made him a bit disgruntled about the situation.

Sam squanch

40 Cal
Reaction score
I can envision britsmoothy loading a round ball, while “ breaking the law” by Iron Maiden plays in the background........

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
I can envision britsmoothy loading a round ball, while “ breaking the law” by Iron Maiden plays in the background........
It was Judas Priest that sang the song "breaking the law" not Iron Maiden.

I envision the song "I just gotta be me" by Sammy Davis Jr. playing instead.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
By law in England I can (apparently) load no less than five .36" balls into a "shotgun" ( don't ask me to explain, I don't try and understand idiots be them in government, law makers or whomever) and for the purpose of this thread and all things .45" smoothrifle I've done it with success.
Ok, only on small game still but heck, I would not like to be a small deer to 30 yards no siree!
Now as much as I like all my muzzleloaders, the Bess could go, the 12gauges could go but the .45" and the .63" ( Pedersoli trade gun) stay put!

Latest posts