• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 smooth bore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not much of a posting but just a note on shooting a single pattern from my 45 smooth rifle.
I've not been to happy with it lately so I reduced the charge and load to 45 gn equal volumes. Three os cards for a wad.
Turned out well all be it one shot. Still plenty of power too. 25yds.
IMG_20220908_123013.jpg

I wouldn't like to fly through it put it that way!

Yeah not bad have you tried a skychief load yet? I still need to pattern my new Kibler 58 smoothbore, I have only played some with paper shot cartridges with three thin cardboard over powder cards I punched out and placed them in the bottom of the cartridge put shot over them tear the tall off at the bore and put a 1/2" felt wad on top. Killed all the pop cans I aimed at up to 20 yards lol. Used 60 grains of equal #7.5 shot and powder.

i have reached the point of build on my fowler that i could shoot it. just need to drill a flash hole. seeing this Britt, is almost more than i can resist! it is grouse and turkey season and my neighbors wheat has been harvested. the doves are thicker than i have ever seen them here in the last 30 years. Oh my! i do have the itch!
may i ask what size shot you are using? looks like maybe #6?

i have reached the point of build on my fowler that i could shoot it. just need to drill a flash hole. seeing this Britt, is almost more than i can resist! it is grouse and turkey season and my neighbors wheat has been harvested. the doves are thicker than i have ever seen them here in the last 30 years. Oh my! i do have the itch!
may i ask what size shot you are using? looks like maybe #6?
It was #7.5.

Yeah not bad have you tried a skychief load yet? I still need to pattern my new Kibler 58 smoothbore, I have only played some with paper shot cartridges with three thin cardboard over powder cards I punched out and placed them in the bottom of the cartridge put shot over them tear the tall off at the bore and put a 1/2" felt wad on top. Killed all the pop cans I aimed at up to 20 yards lol. Used 60 grains of equal #7.5 shot and powder.
I have not tried sky's load in this gun. I don't have the wads for it.
It is good enough for what I use it for.
It's taken plenty nuff.

Back down in Georgia we bought and moved into a house with plenty of acreage around. The previous owner left behind a bag of #4, #7-1/2, #8 and a can or two of Red Dot powder. I already had a bag of #9 and some #6 I swapped for. 90% of it is still left, I just need to find a way to get it up here to me in NE.

Not much of a posting but just a note on shooting a single pattern from my 45 smooth rifle.
I've not been to happy with it lately so I reduced the charge and load to 45 gn equal volumes. Three os cards for a wad.
Turned out well all be it one shot. Still plenty of power too. 25yds.
View attachment 161264
I wouldn't like to fly through it put it that way!
How long is the barrel on you 45.thanks

Latest posts

Back