• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Round Ball Water Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
65gr 3Fg in my .45 flinter was my deer slayer. Your results were somewhat predictable but thanks for confirming it. Curious about the use of a wad for your load. Unnecessary, IMHO.
I had the wads on hand. I used them under a .50 PA conical in a lyman deerstalker. I had some older (10 year) .015 TC patches so I used them in case the patches were degraded. Probably don't need them but they don't seem to hurt either.

I'm well acquainted with your use of .45 for deer. Between you, Hanshi, Skychief, and others, I have seen very positive results with .45 PRB. If ...with a few deer or even Hogs under my belt, I might be persuaded to try it on an Arkansas black bear.

Blackpowder has been killing things on the game and battle fields for 700 years or so.
You're right about that! The 28th of this month, 521 years ago, the battle of Cerignola, Italy, was fought with the Spanish forces annihilating the opposing French. There were over 15,000 combatants on the field and at the end of the day Spain lost about 500, but for the French the number was 4,000. The victory was due in great part to the 1,000 Spanish arquebusers.

You're right about that! The 28th of this month, 521 years ago, the battle of Cerignola, Italy, was fought with the Spanish forces annihilating the opposing French. There were over 15,000 combatants on the field and at the end of the day Spain lost about 500, but for the French the number was 4,000. The victory was due in great part to the 1,000 Spanish arquebusers.
Interesting historical tidbit. Thanks.

Thanks for posting! I'm one of the "on the fence" shooters using a 45 T/C Cherokee. My only problem is 3 Fg is hard to find in my area without traveling 50 -60 miles for a can so I'm doing all my shooting with 2fg. Seriously thinking about switching to Pryodex that's equal to 3f in granulation and see if my groups tighten up.
Graf and Sons always have plenty.

Heck yeah buddy! If that don't boost your confidence, I don't know what will. And like you said, self imposed maximum range and shot placement, that's backstraps and tacos all day long. Don't forget to post a photo with your 45 caliber deer this season👍

Thanks! quite instructive and helpful. Have you tried similar tests with a flatnose conical at a greater distance? For my roundball gun, I can't take an accurate shot above 50 yards (maybe too much spin?). But I often have opportunities on deer at 50+. My longer range gun, similar to yours is .451, and my reach is much further using a "Volunteer" type conical.

Thanks! quite instructive and helpful. Have you tried similar tests with a flatnose conical at a greater distance? For my roundball gun, I can't take an accurate shot above 50 yards (maybe too much spin?). But I often have opportunities on deer at 50+. My longer range gun, similar to yours is .451, and my reach is much further using a "Volunteer" type conical.
I have not. That was my first water test. I've only shot balls out of this gun. Lands are .453 (11.5mm) and using a .30-06 case head I think the groove Dia. is close to .472/.473 (~12mm)... makes for .010 rifling depth... not sure I could get a good seal... even REAL would have a gap as it's top ring is .467... I have a Lyman Deerstalker in .50 and have shot 240gr PA conical and 385gr Great Plains bullets out of it... its rifling depth is .008 I believe. Ethan from the youtube channel "I love muzzleloading" shot all 3 (PRB, PA, and GP) into ballistics gel along with unmentionables but in .50. ALSO another YouTube channel Cumberland Outdoors shot the 385gr Great Plains bullet into gallon jugs, again a very interesting and educational test.

I wanted to test .45 PRB to see where it stacked up. Almost all .45 blackpowder tests on the internet are cap and ball revolvers.

Last edited:
You might want to start with four or five cases of water… unless it hits big bones a 520 grain .451 will blow through an elk like it’s a paper bag.

Also if you're having accuracy issues with PRB I'd recommend lower powder charges, especially if you think the twist is too fast.

Back