• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal rb size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot .433" balls that I make in my Colerain .45 barrel with great results. I prefer a thick patch that holds more lube and is less likely to burn through.

I copied and pasted this from their website for you. I talked to a guy named Doug there this past Fri afternoon. He told me that they had about 8 of these 40 cal barrels left. It's absolutely the best deal out there that I've been able to find. All the info is there for you, give him a call. He said once they were gone there would be no more.
BTW, it doesn't say so below, but Doug told me in our conversation on the phone that everything is already assembled and blued. He is going to install the extra lug needed for it to fit my GPR. Their gunsmithing rates are WAY far beyond reasonable.

These barrels are completely assembled with the breech plug, lug, rib, ramrod pipes and adjustable sights installed. Grooves are .010 to .012 deep. Barrels are bored and include a new ramrod and nipple or vent liner.

Green Mountain has stopped making these barrels, but we still have the following in stock.

Caliber Size Length Twist Ignition Price
.40 15/16" 38" 1-48 Percussion $260.00

.50 15/16" 32" 1-70 Flint $220.00
.32 1" 28" 1-48 Percussion $220.00
.45 1" 28" 1-30 Stainless $250.00
.50 1" 28" 1-28 Percussion $220.00
.50 1" 28" 1-28 Flint $220.00

1" Octagon barrels fit the T/C 1" Hawken
Big Bore Renegade and Renegade Hunter

15/16" Octagon barrels fit the T/C 15/16" Hawken Pennsylvania Hunter & Carbine, Cabela's Hawken, Investarms Hawken, Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Deerstalker & Carbine, by adding an extra barrel lug it will fit the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc.
P. O. Box 2791
Rockford, IL 61132 US
Phone (815) 968-1995
Fax (815) 968-1996
email: [email protected]

To All:

And here I thought this topic was about .45 caliber roundballs. :hmm:

What does a .40 caliber barrel have to do with .45 caliber roundballs?

Folks. Please stick to things that deal with the subject of the topic.
If another subject seems to be needed, start a different new topic about it.

Mine is on it's way, I ordered it this morning :grin:
To add the extra lug to fit my GPR + shipping it was $320 out the door ready to drop in the stock and blast away. Man, you just can't beat that with a stick!
Don't wait too long because they'll get gone pretty quick.

Sorry Zonie, you're right. This did veer off topic, but Longone asked the question and it just so happened that I had found, and was in the process of ordering the same thing he was looking for and asking about. I mean, it's just traditional MZ talk. How else should I go about getting around a situation like this in the future?

Oh yeah! Okay, I'm learning ......As usual, thanks again Zonie. :doh:

garra said:
I really don't believe there is a standard size you can count on based on the caliber. For example, I have a 45 caliber rifle, with a Green Mountain barrel, when I use a ball shaped hole gauge to check the bore I get a reading .446, which would not include the depth of the rifling. Sometimes I feel it is best to measure the bore to get an idea of what you really have. I figure on this particular rifle I will try a .430 ball.

Interesting observation...I just finihsed a rifle with a GM 45 cal barrel. It seems too tight with a .440 ball and a normal thickness patch. If I go to a .010 patch then it gets better. Those thin patches tend to burn through. I am ordering some .433 balls to try out. I want to see if the thick patches work out better.

Back