• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal rb size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a rifle I only know of 2 dias....440 and .445.....if there's another dia., don't know about it.....Fred

There are a lot of variables at work here. As an example, I have two 50 cal rifles. They shoot the .490 and .495 RB's One is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle which I've had now for about 15 yrs or so and I have it dialed in good enough to hit squirrels in the head. It'll shoot one hole groups at 35 yds from a bench rest. The other is a CVA Mountain rifle that I just acquired not long ago so I'm not completely finished dialing it in yet. My GPR best likes a .495 ball with a .015 spit patch (one hole groups at 35 yds). Although it will still shoot a .490 with a .020 or .022 spit patch really well, plenty good enough for deer hunting, that load still doesn't come close to one hole grps at 35 yrds that it's favorite load the .495/.015 spit patch will produce. On the other hand, the CVA won't even load a .495/.015. I haven't tested that ball size in it with a thinner patch yet, but it does pretty well with the .490/.017. With that load at 25 yds it'll print a 1 1/2" 5 shot grp, but like I said, I'm not finished testing it yet, either. Every rifle has a particular ball/patch/powder/load combo that it prefers best over everything else, you just have to wring it out real good with all of the various combinations to find that load. You'll find it sooner, if you're lucky enough LOL, or later, just keep testing till you do. If you buy pre cut/pre lubed patches from the many different retailers they are pretty much only available in certain thicknesses for example .010, .015, .018, and sometimes .020. Some retailers offer more than others, but odd numbered thicknesses, not so much, you just simply have to find them. For example, to get the .017 that I needed for that CVA MR I took my dial caliper to the local fabric shop with me and measured the thicknesses of their different varieties of 100% tight woven cotton fabrics, because although it would load easy enough and felt right, resistance wise while loading that is, with a .015 patch, it still wouldn't shoot worth a manure with it. I hope all of this doesn't sound too daunting to you, but it's the best detailed example I can give you so as to help you understand what you need to do in order to help you find the very best most accurate load for your particular rifle. Always test by changing only ONE variable at a time and fire at least a three shot, but more preferably, a 5 shot group, from a bench rest, with each and every change in variables, and that includes changes in powder charges as well. Test test test! And you will find that perfect load combination :wink:

As sort of a general rule of thumb, your ball size will be .010 smaller than the stated caliber of the gun. For a .45 caliber rifle, generally you will find that a .440 ball in a patch that measures about .015 will work quite well. There are exceptions to this rule of thumb and some folks will want to use a tight fitting ball/patch combination such as a .445 ball with a .015 to .018 patch. Some guns will just prefer something that tight but most will gain no benefit from such a tight fitting ball/patch combination and the shooter will just unnecessarily suffer the difficulties of stuffing such a tight fitting load into the bore of their rifle. If it were my rifle, I'd try a .440 ball with a .015 patch with the lube of your choosing. Again, if it were me, I'd start out with a commercial lube such as Bore Butter. There are at least a million different lubes and lube recipes but for starters, stick with something simple such as a commercial lube or just plain old spit.

I really don't believe there is a standard size you can count on based on the caliber. For example, I have a 45 caliber rifle, with a Green Mountain barrel, when I use a ball shaped hole gauge to check the bore I get a reading .446, which would not include the depth of the rifling. Sometimes I feel it is best to measure the bore to get an idea of what you really have. I figure on this particular rifle I will try a .430 ball.

Yeah, like I said, that was only a general rule of thumb and there are some exceptions. But, in most instances the .010 under caliber will work quite well.

The guys are right,, 440-445
Longone said:
Midsouth lists Hornady balls that are .440", .445", and .457".
The 457 are for cap-n-ball revolvers,, big so they shave a ring off while loading the cylinder.

Some.45 shooters use a .450 ball, just as some .50 shooters use a .500.

There seems to be some consensus among those shooters that there bore size balls are more accurate. From my POV, the challenge would be in starting the ball. Maybe they are shooting coned muzzles, or maybe have oversize bores?

One thing is certain in my mind. The caliber stamped on the barrel is not a sure indicator of actual bore size. That comes from my ".45" pistol that is very tight with a .433 ball.

marmotslayer said:
Some.45 shooters use a .450 ball, just as some .50 shooters use a .500.
Yes, we can always debate the proper size for each individual rifle and/or revolver to gain the absolute best accuracy along with patch and lube ad nuasia,,
But just sometimes,, it's nice to help a new shooter with a basic question.

I mean com`on man,, really? The poor guy lists three options for a 45 cal rifle and folks gotta rip into the high tech stuff from the get go?
Why not let'im just shoot for awhile first?

Longone said:
I see that there are three sizes of 45 cal round balls, how do you know which size to order?

Longone

Saying "45 caliber" is only a generality. As yo see in other responses, they can run from .430" to .457" or more. Tell us which rifle or barrel you have and suggestions will be made. But, really, the only way to determine is with trial and error. Ball/patch combos can vary greatly depending on the rifle and your needs. I have one rifle, depending on use may use a .440" ball with ticking to a .457" ball with denim.

Nothin' "high tech" about it, it's all two hundred yr old technology :blah:

I guess I'll have to let you know after I get the barrel made up. I'm looking to rebarrel the GPR to either a 40 or 45, still up in the air.

Longone

I'm ordering a 40 cal Green Mountain Barrel for my GPR tomorrow as well. Good luck to ya and let's keep each other posted on the progress.

I'm looking to rebarrel the GPR to either a 40 or 45, still up in the air.

Which barrel are you going to order? That would tell us a lot about which ball to start with. Your two most likely choices are the .440 and .445.

I shoot the .445 balls in my GM barreld gun and TC factory barreled gun. If you decide to suit up in a Colerain or Rice barrel you will have deeper grooves and maybe will want to use a thicker patch and the smaller ball.

Either way, a .45 or .40 cal is going to be pretty heavy in a 15/16th barrel! My GPR is .54 cal and I don't think I would want a hole much smaller than .50 for weight considerations. Just depends on how you plan to use it, how big a boy you are, etc.

Seeing I have no inclination to cast "odd ball" sized RBs, I just walk into a store and buy or order the .45 "standards" for a rifle.....440 or .445.
Not complicated at all and have been satisfied using them for years. Both sizes shoot accurately w/ the same patch thickness...can't get any simpler than that.....Fred

As you can see from the many posts, there are many opinions on just what ball size you should use. When you go into your average gun/sporting goods store looking for .45 caliber balls, my experience has been that what you will find is that most who carry .45 caliber balls will most likely have .440 balls. Some will also carry .445 balls but very seldom will you find any other rifle sizes on the shelf. If they have larger size .45 caliber balls, such as a .457, they are for revolvers and will be too tight in your bore. You would need a mallet to start them. Not a good idea in my opinion. If you want another size, you will most likely have to buy a mold and cast your own. So, if you want to buy off the shelf, you will need to try very hard to find a patch and lube combination that will work with a .440 ball. In reality, the .440 with the right patch should shoot quite well in your rifle.

Back