• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45.cal pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a 45 t/c cherokee and would like a pistol to carry along with it ,does any one make a good one or even a good kit gun. that want break me .i want to keep it 45 so i ccan shoot the same patch and round ball.thanks

If you can find a good used Thompson Patriot pistol in .45 cal, that might be the ticket. Take a look at the lock on your rifle and on a Patriot. I think they are the same. But that is just my take on it.

Patriot pistols are a little pricey in my opinion but would be a nice match with your rifle. If you don't want to spend that much the the auction sites often have CVA Kentucky or Colonial pistols on sale for reasonable money. I have 2 Kentucky pistols in .45 and they both are very good shooters.

Don

If you arn"t looking to spend a lot of money . Try cainsoutdoors The have .45s in both flint and percussion for about $150.00 new :hmm: :thumbsup:

thanks all for th much needed help.just seems it would be cool to have a matching pistol to tag along next fall .thats allowed here in tennessee.

you all know any thing about the dixie gun works pedersoli 45. kentucky ? looks about like what i want but never heard of that brand...

I have the .50 cal Kentucky Pedersoli flintlock,from Dixie and its a good shooter and well made.

I have a .54 Pedersoli percussion and I love it. Really a straight shooter. There are a couple .45's on Gunbroker for about $275. Good deal.

Cheers, DonK

Pedersoli is one of the three biggest Italian companies that make reproduction firearms.

Uberti is perhaps the best but they pretty much limit their guns to pistols.

Pedersoli makes both pistols and long arms.
Here's a link to their Italian catalog.
By the way, they do not import many of the pistols you will see in this link http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns-rifles.asp/l_en/partenza_14/idl_1/pistols/pistols.html

Pedersoli's quality is usually very good although the Kentucky Pistol you mention does have a heavy trigger pull.
It's also best not to shoot heavy powder charges (over 30 grains IMO) from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonie,
If you think Uberti is pretty much just pistols, you need to check out all the rifles on their website. I personally own and shoot one of their steel frame color case hardened 1860 Henry rifles in .44-40.
http://www.uberti.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know that Uberti makes a number of Cartridge rifles. I own a Uberti Hi-Wall but this is a Muzzleloading Forum and although they have made some muzzleloading rifles in the past I don't know of any that are currently in production.

Sorry Zonie. I didn't realize you were only referring to muzzleloading rifles. :surrender:

Cain's Outdoorslist olny one .45 Kentucky. It's a flinter from Traditions, but has been out of stock for over a year. Check out Auction Arms or Gun Broker for a used .45 CVA or Jukar Kentucky. They are about the same. I've used a CVA in pistol matches for years.

On a dollar value basis, the CVA Kentucky is hard to beat. Mine has an trigger adjusment screw that allows for a low poundage letoff.

I bought it used and it has adjustable sights on it and I've been surprised how well it shoots. It's .45 caliber, I shoot a .440 round ball, 20 grains of FFF and 0.015 lubed patch.

It would be a great companion to your Cherokee until you can find a reasonably priced Patriot. They are out there, I finally found one in January of this year.

My .45 T/C Patriot's lock is an exact duplicate of the ones in my .45 Seneca & Cherokee - and the barrel is the same 13/16" across-the-flats, just shorter.

DSCN0379.JPG

looking at buying a 1858 remington 44 .can i use the small balls in a 45 cherokee. thanks

No.

A Cap & Ball Revolver must use balls that are larger in diameter than the chambers in the cylinder.

The larger balls are pressed into the chamber over the powder charge and because they are larger a ring of lead is sheared off of them as they enter the chamber mouth. This both seals the chamber to prevent cross-fires and holds the balls in place when the gun recoils as it's fired.

Back