• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndavisusa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at the range today shooting my 50 cal and a young man came up with a 45 cal long rifle and was wanting some information on how much black powder to use with round ball. He wants to deer hunt with it and had shot a few with 60 gr of the old Dupont black powder and wondered if that was enough to hunt with. I told him I would ask on a forum about safe loads for his rifle. Any help would be appreciated.

I am shooting a .45 right now and I have settled on a load of 65 grs 3F Goex. I havent killed a deer yet but I wouldnt hesitate to use it. As long as shot placement is accurate I would think it would bring a deer down.

I gotta .45 and use 70 grains. Part of that is that I could only get "Elephant" powder. Now the store carries Shuetzen, I believe. Either way, whatever load the rifle likes and puts the ball in the zone is what to go for.

Good job on helping a newbie. That's how it's done!

When you see him again, tell him to use the most accurate load he finds between 65 and 90 grains of powder and to try to limit his range to 75-80 yards when shooting deer.

I shot a deer 2 years ago with a .45 and 60 grains of powder, no problem. Deer was down within 40 yards of the shot.

tndavisusa said:
I was at the range today shooting my 50 cal and a young man came up with a 45 cal long rifle and was wanting some information on how much black powder to use with round ball. He wants to deer hunt with it and had shot a few with 60 gr of the old Dupont black powder and wondered if that was enough to hunt with. I told him I would ask on a forum about safe loads for his rifle. Any help would be appreciated.

When I started hunting with my .45 Rev. style transitional long rifle my charge was way up there, near 100 gr. Way too-too much. Over time I dropped it and settled on 65 gr. for all my deer hunting. A pure lead round ball with expand to more than quarter size and kill quickly and humanely. One poorly placed shot hit bone and took the deer off his feet.

Haven't come across any FFFG Goex to try yet but 65 grains of Triple7 is a tack-driving load in my old CVA Kentucky. And Lord help the deer that walks out inside of 75 yards if I got her on the sticks...

.45 is my favorite caliber. I`m going to agree with the rest of the gang and recomend 60 to 65 grains. My deer load is 65grs 3f Goex. I keep my shots under 100yds, and never shoot if I`m not positive I can make a hit in the heart/lung area. The deer never go far after they`re hit.

I'm meeting him next Wen at the range and will pass on all this good information. Thanks. :grin:

Yup, 65 grains of FFF Triple7 works fine for me. Taken a couple of boar with that load as well.

Back