• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anybody used a 40 cal for deer in there state were legal . I know we cant in ny but was wondering who has hunted deer with them and what was the tissue damage on the animal /

I have taken several deer with a .40 and seen little diference between it and a .45 and .50 as far as damage to the internal parts of an animal but placement is very critical when trying to compare this as the rb is much different than a modern bullet, sub 50 yd shots are a good rule as the smaller ball has a lot less energy for penetration, I think stretching the range is the biggest cause of bad results with the rb in any cal.

OGH,
I've taken a couple with my 40 and half a dozen with my 38 cal. You have to get within 30-40 yards, be accurate, and have the discipline to let deer walk. I let a big 8-9pt walk a couple years ago because it was 50 yards out.... wish I would have had my 54... Anyway, back to your question..... Shot placement is critical and I always aim a little below the ear. As far as tissue damage.. it makes a mess... a lot of hard stuff in that area of the body.

SP

For what it's worth....I hope this doesn't sound condescending but I never recommend that low of caliber to anyone... I just don't trust them.

I too have a .40 cal I've been toying with hunting deer with. The barrel is a GM 38" .40 cal with a 1/48" twist. I was concerned also about the penetration of the bullet. Is there a .40 cal. lead conical that will work with a 1/48" rifling that will at least give more mass to the projectile? This is all new to me, just wondering if that would work especially at the short range one would be taking the shot at.

Smokeydays

I have a few .40s and love them. I compete with them and hunt small game with them. My favorite caliber. However, I do not regard them as good for deer and do not use them for deer even though it is a legal caliber here. I use a .50, .54 or 20 gauge (with round ball) as fits my mood and the situation.

I understand the concept of shot placement, but I am also aware of the additional benefits of bigger bullets from being one of the young guys who tracked other guys' deer. I also skinned out a lot of them because I was a poor guy (moneywise) who was along to keep the MLs working and to help skin and quarter the kills. Sorry, but bigger really is better. ::

CS

CS,
Bigger is better, no doubt about it.. If I'm really after a big one I'll take my 54 with me every time....but you gotta understand that I shoot these 70 pound does in Lauren and Whitmire county and leave all those monster bucks to you guys down in the Florence and Pee Dee area.

SP

You're not fooling me -- I have seen bigger deer out there than that. Seen some puny ones over here too!

Besides, I am not a trophy hunter. I just like being in the woods and bringing home some meat. The best that I got was a 125# buck near Marion's old hide out in the swamps at the end of last season. Only a couple of miles from the Great PeeDee. In this case, the .40 would likely have worked as would my smoothbore. Easy shot. Biggest trick was getting him out of the creek after he stumbled into the rushing water.

Good luck in the coming season.

CS

Don't own a .40 but my favorite deer B/P rifle is my
.45 cal Hawken with a Green Mountan IBS barrel.
With PRB i am confident to 50 yards which where i hunt
is about max for a shot.
snake-eyes :results:

I to have been thinking about hunting deer with my 40 cal. flinter. To you who have been sucessful, what powder load would you recomend ?

I used 60 gr 3f in my 36" GM .40 barrel caplock.I only use 70-80 gr 3f in my .50 thru .62 guns

I have a 40 cal green mountain flint. I use 70grains of 3f for a 100 yard target load offhand. It also does a good job on a deer at 50yards. I still prefer my 62flint rifle.Because size realy does matter.
I have never tracked a deer I shot with my 62 more than about 30yards.

Back