• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in the Pan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - I load and prime with FFFg (There is no need for FFFFg to use as prime). Just prime and load from the same horn for speed and convenience. Works with FFg as well....

In tests I have ignited Goex Cannon grade in a Siler. It was slower but would work - far better than sub powder,
Regards,
Pletch

I really cant tell any difference in 3 an 4f in speed. I have used 2f a time or two an have even tried 1fg in the pan. All went off but could tell a small difference in the 1f compared to 4f

It will work fine. Some prefer 4f for prime, others like me, chose the simplicity of using one powder (3f) for prime and main charge.

As Pletch has said many times, Null-B is the fastest, followed by 4Fg, 3Fg etc. Your human senses can't detect much of a difference, (we're only talking a few thousandths of a second here) but his high speed photography can. Just be aware, what ever you use is going to yield a much slower total ignition / discharge time than even the crummiest cap locks in terms of speed though.

An old friend taught me a trick years ago you pour your powder over a very small gage wire or fabric screen with a sheet of bond white paper below to catch what falls through. Know a fines, them mix the fines with your 2-FF or 3-FFF and you have something in a seperate container that will give faster ignition than straight 3-FFF.

Absolutely does. I can't tell the difference and also use the main horn to prime. 2F works, too. (Don't know others experience, but I prefer 3F in the rifle and pan because it seems to burn cleaner)

Ames said:
I'll prime and load from the same FFF, but not from the horn. It only takes one ember to ruin your life. I'll put the FFF into a priming horn for the pan. Keep that big ole main horn separate.
Do as you wish.
I've never seen an ember in a pan. While it may be possible, it isn't probable.

6 Shot said:
Will the flint ignite Goex 3F?
Yes, Black Hand is quite right.
3f will ignite just as well in the pan as 4f. Though many shooters use 4f on the competition line most hunters will use 3f to prime in the field as this eliminates the need to carry two different horns into the woods. I, as have many, find there is no difference in ignition between the two and have taken to using 3f both in the woods and on the line.

The main difference between the two is the slightly larger granuals of the 3f will not draw moisture as quickly as the 4f if the weather is not particularly cooperative.

Ames said:
I'll prime and load from the same FFF, but not from the horn. It only takes one ember to ruin your life. I'll put the FFF into a priming horn for the pan. Keep that big ole main horn separate.
The only time you will encounter a hot ember is when reloading a "hot barrel" immediately after firing. this is ,of course, inside the barrel and not in the pan. And since you NEVER load directly from the horn but always use a separate measure to charge your rifle this is a non-issue.

Black Hand said:
Ames said:
Do as you wish.
I've never seen an ember in a pan. While it may be possible, it isn't probable.

Especially after you have gone through the entire loading process.....

Me to, especially for competition.
Actually though, in any can of 1 through 4F powder(especially Goex) if you will sieve it and save the fines, you will have all the pan powder you ever need.

One of the things I question in my own mind is what granulation is actually easier to light.
I know the finer granulation burns quicker when ignited but am not absolutely convinced that fine powder ignites easier as the larger the granulation the more irregular surface there is for a spark to hit a grain and start the chemical reaction.
Kind of like when making a camp fire the Teepee of sticks starts much easier than does a flat wide, closely bundled, surface of sticks.

Back