• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in the Pan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackpowder62 said:
GST said:
I three blow down the barrel, its a personal thing. Burnt pider is delicious.

same here!!!!!!!!

It's the only way we can worm GST!!! Don't let him fool you!!

(Btw the two of us have been compadres since the 8th grade!)

Addendum. The two of us was shooting today. I primed with both FFFG and FFFFG!! Same rifle!!!

Zonie said:
We both know there are no recorded incidents of a latent spark in a flintlocks pan accidentally igniting fresh powder as it is poured into the pan.

Even if it has happened, it is very unlikely that anything would have been written about it.

That does not prove it could not happen.

Different folks have different ideas about how much they want to tempt fate.
Many people have a "It can't happen to me" attitude and others have a, "With my luck I'll be the first person some disaster will strike" attitude.

Generally speaking I say, "Whatever floats your boat as long as it doesn't endanger someone else."

With something as simple as priming the pan from a small container to minimize anything that may happen rather than priming directly from a horn, I say, why not do it?

I got in on this late. I know of an example. A vendor at Friendship damaged his hand priming a lock with a small brass priming tool. As I understand it, he was testing a lock out of the gun. The brass primer exploded messing up his right hand. I don't have permission to give his name. This happened a couple of years ago.

I use a small priming horn, but not because of this example. I dislike having to handle a main horn and stopper twice because of a bad hand. It's easier for me to pull a small priming horn from a side pocket.

Regards,
Pletch

Pletch said:
A vendor at Friendship damaged his hand priming a lock with a small brass priming tool. As I understand it, he was testing a lock out of the gun. The brass primer exploded messing up his right hand. This happened a couple of years ago.
I'd have questions...

The vendor damaged his hand by test firing the primed lock (out of the stock) while holding one of those primers at the same time. The primer basically became a grenade upon ignition from the lock's sparks.

Capt. Jas. said:
The vendor damaged his hand by test firing the primed lock (out of the stock) while holding one of those primers at the same time. The primer basically became a grenade upon ignition from the lock's sparks.
I understand - he did something STUPID.

Was out shooting my 50cal SMR today and got to thinking about this thread. Now I have a lot of 1F on hand because I shoot a lot of it in my 45-110 BPCR.So of course I had a can with me to try out :thumbsup: So I measured up what would be my normal load of 3f or 2f but with 1F of 70 grains and dumped it in with my normal .495 RB and .018 patch. Here's the fun part I also used it for priming. I tried this 1F load several times and gotta say the 1F prime seemed as fast as my normal 4F prime. Point of impact was different but not quite what I was expecting. It actually was shooting consistently left. Elevation may have been just a smidge lower but not hugely. Maybe the ignition was slow enough to cause me to consistently pull left (it is a left hand rifle) but not sure about that either. All told I guess you can use 1F not only for the main charge but also for prime if you had to for some reason. BTW this was just plain Goex that I was using.

Back