• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 vs .40 cal rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With three forties in the house I guess I like .40 over .36. Why? Reckon I just haven't got another .36 yet! :)

Just a passing thought.
I shoot 250 and 330 grainers out of a fast twist .40.
If somebody wants to pack a wallop with a slow twist .36 or .40 then why not use two or three balls?
I want to try it to see if three will pattern as well as two.

You've got a great deer, elk, moose and black bear rifle in your .54 caliber rifle... so get a "squirrel rifle" in a .36 caliber rifle which is very popular.

With the resurgence of black powder shooting getting stronger every day, you should usually be able to find .36 caliber rifle balls at a local gun shop if you run outta your hand-caste rifle balls.

Most gun shops carry .36 caliber rifle balls, but only a few carry .40 caliber rifle balls... and I've noticed the gun shops I frequent carry ONLY 2 sizes... .36 and .50 caliber Hornady swagged rifle balls... and, occasionally, .54 caliber rifle balls, but I haven't seen either .32 or .40 caliber rifle balls on their shelves so far.

Then you'll have the "best-of-both-worlds", the excellent .54 caliber for big game and a .36 which is just right for smallish game up to fox, 'coon, squirrels and cotton-tails... or possibly even coyotes (at closer range).

That's a "win/win" situation and the powder and lead for a .36 is less costly than it is for a .40 caliber rifle.

In truth, the .40 caliber is what some call an "almost" caliber... "almost" too big for much of the small game and "almost" too little for most of the big game.

Jus' my 2¢... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have NO knowledge of guides or "guided hunts" in VA. = As many deer as there are running all over the state, I see NO good reason for a guide.

And YEP hunting is CHEAP in VA, when compared to other areas of the USA.
(I know several farmers "out in the Valley" that do "day/gun leases" REALLY cheap.)

Btw, the man that I bought "farm fresh vegetables" from when I lived in NOVA counted 91 deer one morning right outside his house off Franconia Rd. in Fairfax County. = Didn't take Bob long to call me & some of my "XB friends" to come "thin things out a bit", so that he would have something left uneaten to sell.
(I've wondered more than once why more of the NOVA landowners don't lease their land for deer hunting.)

yours, satx

New to the forum, late to comment, but I recently received a new 36 from Caywood guns to join my .32 flint. The .32 is a bit heavy to haul up and down the hills, but shoots very well. The new 36 is the most well balanced, easy pointing rifle I have ever come accross. A true joy during early squirrel season, when I start my scouting process for deer. I prefer a .50 for deer season, and to date I have always used a cap gun for deer, easier in the foul weather that accompanies our muzzleloader season. Although I have already reached out to Danny to commission a flint for next season.

The 36 is hard on meat if you miss the head. But with 20 grains of 2F I found the 32 Cherokee damage about the same as a 22 long rifle. With the 36 and any load I coulf get to shoot well and you had a 2 piece squirrel.

With the little cherokee, you may be able to go as low as 10 grains of FFFg and still stabilize the small patched balls. I say "may" because of the two rifles I've tried it in..one worked great and one wouldn't hit a flock of circus tents! Seemed odd then, seems odd now...but those small bores can be persnickity for some reason. The one that didn't like the small charged ball would put the little .32 maxis in the same hole...go figure.

I have never shot a .40, but I do have a .36. I have several calibers that I feel I can take a deer with: 75 cal Brown Bess, a couple .58 rifled muskets and a .577 rifled musket, and a few .50s. Small game and plinking is where my .36 shines. Stoke it up to 40 grains 3f, and I can feel confident on killing that coon or opossum bothering the chickens. Drop it down to 20 grains for plinking or 25 grains for squirrel. But that's just me. JA

IMHO the .32 and .36 are THE small game/squirrel calibers and I have both and use both. The .40, for me, is more an all purpose rifle that's perfect for varmints, okay for small game and okay for deer and perfect for targets. I'd never use a .40 for a dedicated squirrel rifle.

Makes me want a 36 as 45 is minimum in Idaho for deer and I have numerous 54 and 50 calibers already for large game. That 36 is a lot of fun to shoot for just fun stuff for sure and uses a lot less lead and powder.

Latest posts

Back