• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy wants me to show him how to run his Navy .36 Does anyone have a suggested load they like for a .36 using FFG? All of mine are .44 and I've never fired a .36 so I would like your opinions on what works best as a general load.

Thanks in advance.

I've gotten the best accuracy out of most of my revolvers using 2f. Anything between 12-18 has worked well for me with 36.

17 gr 3f

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20230604_180741.jpg
    TimePhoto_20230604_180741.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Uberti recommends 15gr for brass frame and 18gr for steel frames. FFFG is what I use.
I found that to be a little on the light side and I've adopted 20 gr. 3F for my 1851 Navy and 1862 Police. Uberti's black powder manual lists 25 gr. maximum for the .36 cal revolvers when using round balls.
Screenshot.png

clipped from:
Screenshot 1.png

I appreciate all of the answers from you guys. I know I can always look up the printed out tables from the various manufacturers but like wiscoster pointed out and I agree with him they tend to err greatly on the side of caution and tell you to use a much lower charge. I know all guns have their own personality in regards to what they like. I do really appreciate the posts about what your specific charge is and the results you get especially the pictures of the end results (AzMtnman!!).

For me I found in my Uberti or Pietta .36 caliber revolvers a charge between 15 and 18 grains of 3F Goex is a good load for round balls for target and plinking work. My Uberti uses a .380 RB and the Pietta's use a .375 RB for a good seal. Measure your cylinder chambers first before buying your RBs. Good luck - be safe and have fun.

It seems to me the standard load is between 18-20 gr of FFFG I think I should do some experimenting with the lower charges for accuracy and penetration. I'm primarily a flinter and really enjoy all of it but those pistols are a lot of fun especially with new shooters to BP.

Latest posts

Back