• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .40???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, (ladies, tip of the hat), I have recently completed my first build of a .54 with straight rifleing and I love it... Pie plate at 75 yds on first day out shooting. It's better than I thought it would be... Turkeys, with shot out of this same barrel, will hopefully fall in April here in Tennessee!
My question is about a .36 vs .40 that I am wanting to build. Wanting a 42" barrel. Looking for that slider long profile. This will be used for fun, squirrels, rabbits. I am not interested in a .32... Thanks for your input.

You do seem to be able to make selections on yer own. e.g. straight rifling?
I know it exists, buy why want it?
Enneyhow, .36/.40 choice is yers. I can't see much difference in use except being able to find ramrods.

The barrel was so if I only built one gun I could use it for both ball or shot while obtaining further distance. The straight rifle gives about 25% farther shot with ball and allowing you to shoot shot thru the same barrel. That was the first rifleing used prior to a twist. Just fun tho do both with a bit further ball accuracy.

I converted a Bob Watts rifle I had from .45 to .40...I prefer .40 simply because you can use a 3/8 ramrod...No problem with it breaking because it can't bend in the barrel... :)

With 25grs FFF she is deadly on squirrels...

My barrel is 13/16th and 42 inches long...The balance is just right to me...

Great thought using the larger ramrod. That just might have made my mind up for me! Makes since to me...

Having both a .36 and a .40 I feel I have a good perspective on both. First, I don't worry about the ramrod and they have never been a problem for me. Second, the .40 is fine for small game and can work okay for game up to deer where legal. Still, I have to say the little .36 is my go-to rifle when squirrel and similar critters are on the menu.

PICT0560.jpg

Lancaster .40.

PICT0550.jpg

.36 SMR.

.40 has always intrigued me..., in fact this morning I was sighting in my new .40. It is legal for deer here in Maryland, but my regular hunting rifle is a .54.

I got it as I wanted a fun target rifle, that I could go for small game, with a little bit more umph than a .36 for longer range targets.

And, OK I like "oddness" in firearms, as well as living history. That's why I do American Loyalist and hence the screen name..., when I started "loyalists" were pretty rare..,

So..., since you went for the grooved barrel, I think you should go for a .40.

Audeat ad esse diversis

Dare to be different.

:hatsoff:

LD

Have had them both, like them both. For what you are hunting I would go with the .36. My choice for squirrel&rabbits is .32. Dilly

A lot of folks have .40's and there is no reason not to own one. However, my choice is the .36 because I can use 000 buckshot which makes it a little more economical. The ramrod is 5/16" and I have not had problems with it bending.

The ramrod is 5/16" and I have not had problems with it bending.

Bending was not the ram rod issue I had in mind. Simply finding a quality hickory ramrod smaller than 3/8" could be problematic. I know, make yer own. But, realistically, how many people do that? Not very many.

Bending was not the ram rod issue I had in mind. Simply finding a quality hickory ramrod smaller than 3/8" could be problematic. I know, make yer own. But, realistically, how many people do that? Not very many.

LOT'S of people make them.. Finding a 5/16" quality hickory RR is not an issue. Those that don't make them choose not to, simply because they don't want to bother with it. A 6 yr old can make a good RR, so there is no legitimate reason an adult can't.

As for the .36 vs the .40 cal ? My vote goes to the .40 hands down.

Shoots further, flatter, more wind resistance, easier to handle, large enough for varmints, knock down 100 yd silhouette plates, basically same target charge as .36, it's just the all around Top Dog in a small bore. IMHO

Keith Lisle

Rifleman1776 said:
The ramrod is 5/16" and I have not had problems with it bending.

I buy them by the dozen and usually find several where the grain runs straight and true. So, no problemo.
:thumbsup:

I had formulated an answer to your question in which I was going to extole the virtues of the .40. Then I read what Keith Lisle had said and figured that all I needed to say is Amen to what Keith had to say. When it comes to Muzzleloading, Keith is a man of great knowlege and wisdom. We could all sit at his feet and learn. :thumbsup:

40!!! I've got a 32 cherokee,36 Seneca and a 40 SMTN by TVM,Killed a large doe a couple of years ago with the 40 here in Tn,'course the 40 is a flinter and I've fallen in love with rock bangers :thumbsup: But like Mr lisle said it is kind a do all for me around here. where 'bouts in Tn are ya???

I have both a .36 and a .40, though neither are in a flinter . . . yet. I really like the .36 and shot it a lot, then I got the .40 and like it equally as well, if not better. BUT, I have big fingers and the .40 is a bit easier for me to load. I would give the nod, from where I stand and live, to the .40 as here, it is the smallest you can legally use on big game (deer) and the largest you can legally use on small game (squirrels and bunnies) so it will cover for all, even if you are hunting for the other.

Both are great calibers for targets . . . assuming the wind ain't blowing to hard. If a bit of weight is a concern at 42", the .40 would be a touch lighter. Flip a coin man, and keep us posted.

:idunno: Here's my 2 cents. Missouri also allows the use of a .40 for deer. Up close (we call it stalking) thats fine with me for a head shot, or a good quartering shot into the heart. As stated its overkill for squirrels and bunnies, but not really that much. If bobcats or coyotes are on the menu its the perfect combination of speed and weight of ball to get the job done without too much hide destruction. Plus a wise man once said "beware the man with just one gun, he probably knows how to use it". It's economical and the choice calibre of a lot of very good competitors. In the end the choice is yours, but i would not be embarrased to say my only rifle was a .40. :hmm: :wink:

I buy them by the dozen and usually find several where the grain runs straight and true. So, no problemo.
:thumbsup:

If you by them from Steve Bailey, they will ALL have good straight grain thru them. And this is not a guess, I have bought well over 12 dozen from him, and they are the best and most consistent you will find...... Steve's ad is in the Classifieds of Muzzleblast. I just got in 40 from him, and they are just Awesome.....

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back