• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Inlet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working on my first build from a plank. It is a nice piece of Walnut my father cut 40 years ago. Looking at inletting the barrel and realize I am going to need someone to do it if I want it right.

Need a suggestion on who to contact about inletting the barrel and drilling a ram rod.

Thanks, Don

I am working on my first build from a plank. It is a nice piece of Walnut my father cut 40 years ago. Looking at inletting the barrel and realize I am going to need someone to do it if I want it right.

Need a suggestion on who to contact about inletting the barrel and drilling a ram rod.

Thanks, Don
Is it that you don't possess the skills to do it or you're terrified to try?

If it's just fear, jump in and get it done.

My antique 20ga plank build is named Timidity for a reason. I stared at her more than I worked on her. I was so afraid of that barrel channel that I scooped out the entire thing with a 6mm radius gouge.

If you have good eye hand coordination you can pull it off.

Good luck. Which ever way you go.

Yep, give it a try. It is a lot of work, but not the most difficult part of the build. Now the ramrod, that’s a little more difficult, but again fairly easy (compared to lock internals and butt plate).

If you’re inletting a straight octagon barrel, you can do most of it on your table saw. If you have you have ever heard “ measure twice, cut once” it definitely applies here. Just try it on a piece of a 2x4 cut to the same width as the thickness of your plank. Make a test cut on the 2x4 each time before cutting the blank. I’ve done this on a few scratch builds and it works. I cut the exposed portion of the ramrod channel with a router then drilled the rest
with drill bit that had a 4 ft. extension attached. Lubricate the shaft with a bar of soap and turn the bit by hand.
That’s just one way but it works. If you don’t have access to some pretty good tools I’d find someone to do the work for you. Building from scratch is more challenging but in the end it’s all yours which is gratifying. Good luck!

Depends on what type barrel you have. I have a jig I made to use with a router to do a straight barrel.

Back