• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

36 ,40 which I ne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If I go ahead with a ohio Vincent build which cal? I don't shoot competition.I do like punching paper. I also want to squirrel hunt and maybe an occasional coyote.mainly rabbit and squirrels,,head shots.Everyone says 36 well I got one. I figure 40 is less fouling and probably a bit more accurate far as groups go. Had 32, and 36 guns but never a 40

I was in the same situation when I started my Early Lancaster build. Having plenty of big bores I wanted a "squirrel rifle" caliber. I thought 36, those 310 balls are teeny to handle.
My mentor suggested a 40. Small enough for little critters, but still legal and capable in many locales for deer.

I went with the 40, and love it. 15grs fffg gives me about 1200fps, perfect for small game, 60 grs gives me around 2000fps, it should ruin a deer or yote.

Btw, David Crockett killed 100s of black bears with a 41 caliber. I often wonder if he double balled.

Yup, I have often pondered the same thing. My thoughts always go back to a .40 caliber for a do-all round. In fact, I have pretty much settled my mind on IF I am ever to get a KY long style rifle it will most likely be in .40 caliber. Heck, haven't even shot my new Traditions .32 Crocket Squirrel Rifle yet and I'm already considering making the upgrade.

Oh no, here we go again. That broom is going to hurt.

Last edited:
I like the 40. Easier handling when loading, accurate enough for head shots on squirrels, and better energy/range for coyote(which I also hunt when out for squirrel)…
264B25A6-8822-4609-AB58-A6BDD7F31D2D.jpeg0F9F6A27-1F57-44BA-8611-C65905CFA0AE.jpeg

I love my .40. Since I have a LH flintlock laying around, I've been considering building a .36. Most likely will do another .40, it makes more sense.

Of course, a .40 ..It can be loaded down , so it can be used on small game , and doesn't vaporize too much edible tissue, or loaded strong for coyotes and ground hogs. .40's are not troublesome as to what is put down the muzzle.

Of course, a .40 ..It can be loaded down , so it can be used on small game , and doesn't vaporize too much edible tissue, or loaded strong for coyotes and ground hogs. .40's are not troublesome as to what is put down the muzzle.
I actually shot a gray squirrel one day with a .54 caliber Renegade shooting a RB. It was a full charge deer load. The squirrel was fairly close and I was pretty sure it was going to be blown to pieces. To my amazement there was just a .54 caliber hole on both sides. My guess is the squirrel was thin enough that the ball never had a chance to expand. I still have a picture of myself holding that squirrel.

Perhaps a .40 would have expanded on that shot due to the ball being much smaller.

I actually shot a gray squirrel one day with a .54 caliber Renegade shooting a RB. It was a full charge deer load. The squirrel was fairly close and I was pretty sure it was going to be blown to pieces. To my amazement there was just a .54 caliber hole on both sides. My guess is the squirrel was thin enough that the ball never had a chance to expand. I still have a picture of myself holding that squirrel.

Perhaps a .40 would have expanded on that shot due to the ball being much smaller.
I mix ww and pure lead to get more penetration. Works with my 45 also. Not with minies or cnb revolvers

I did the same thing with a full power .58 prb. I aimed for the neck and there was only a tiny slit going i and going out. It certainly does depend on where you hit them.

Why limit yourself. I had a .32(recently gave it to a friend),a .36 and am in the process of putting together a Kibler SMR in .40 Even my .45 flintlock does well on small game if you do your part.

Back