• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal drop-in barrel for T/C Hawkin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jäger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone heard of a .36 caliber drop in barrel for the T/C Hawkin rifles, like the Green Mountain barrels? I see Green Mountain jumps directly from the .32 to the .40 caliber.

I guess you could try handlapping a .32 barrel out to .36, but I have never lapped a barrel out anywhere near that much. Have to go consult with my favorite gunsmith before seriously thinking of doing that.

Other than just to have a .36, why wouldn't you just get the .40? I don't really understand the desire to own these small calibers in barrels that are way to big for their bores. Other than having a light handy rifle in say a 13/16" barrel, I don't understand the desire to own a rifle smaller than a .50. :confused:

Green Mountain seems to be phasing out .36 caliber but if you try a few different suppliers you may find they still have one in stock. You might lap a .32 out to .36 in about 10 years of steady work.
If you can't find a "drop-in" any gunsmith could make one up for you, and if you're half way handy and have few tools you could do it yourself.
I think Track of the Wolf would make one up for you. They are good folks to deal with, I'd give um a call. :grin:

One of my TC Hawken's wears a Green Mountain 36 cal barrel with a Navy Arms 32.5" brass scope. I use my two 32's and two 36's for predator and varmint hunting mostly. This one is great for longer shots at small varmints with the scope, but I also carry it to predator stands too where shots could be longer sometimes.

Not so good photo of it on another palaver here at MLF...

See it here

Swampman said:
Other than just to have a .36, why wouldn't you just get the .40? I don't really understand the desire to own these small calibers in barrels that are way to big for their bores. Other than having a light handy rifle in say a 13/16" barrel, I don't understand the desire to own a rifle smaller than a .50. :confused:

I see no need to have anything under a .54 cal.
wink.gif

Swampman said:
Ah... well, fair enough questions there, Swampy.

The main reason is I just discovered one of the guys I work with has a ton of .36 caliber moulds and other related stuff. Which instantly solves the issue of moulds if I were to stick to the original .32 plan. And the small caliber is because it really is too much to be shooting gophers and tin cans with the .54 caliber barrel as I have been doing so far.

As for the weight, well... the offhand Schuetzen rifles weigh a LOT more than this rifle would. There's a definite advantage to having all that weight out there. I like muzzleheavy rifles for shooting - not for carrying.

If this were really serious, then I'd probably do what you're thinking of and buy an elegent little rifle. But this is just for fun - my main shooting interests aren't muzzleloaders, but I do have a lot of fun with the one I have. When I do go afield with a muzzleloader and murder in my heart, the hunt is usually for the local elk and moose, and that means the .54 barrel will be back on it...

CoyoteJoe said:
Green Mountain seems to be phasing out .36 caliber but if you try a few different suppliers you may find they still have one in stock. You might lap a .32 out to .36 in about 10 years of steady work.
Thanks for the tip on the barrel situation and where to look, Joe, I will look into that.

Have you actually tried a major lapping job like that or are you just guessing?

It takes me a couple of hours to lap a rifle barrel out, but that is a different process, for a different reason, and uses pretty fine grits. I have no idea how fast it would go if you started out with coarse grits like 80 or something like that.

I have an old .303 British barrel around here somewhere, taken off a bubba'd Lee Enfield. I could always use that as an experiment and see how long it takes and what the results are like.

I don't even know if it would work, Joe. Lapping would remove metal from ALL surfaces, including the sides of the lands. I'd want to look at what happened to that .303 barrel before starting on a newly purchased barrel.

If you can't find a "drop-in" any gunsmith could make one up for you, and if you're half way handy and have few tools you could do it yourself.
I think Track of the Wolf would make one up for you. They are good folks to deal with, I'd give um a call. :grin:
I do have access to a milling machine and lathe. But while I have an experimental bent, I also know when to have somebody else do the work to guarantee the quality of the results.

If something easier doesn't present itself, I'll talk to the folks at wolf scat. Thanks!

Walks Alone said:
One of my TC Hawken's wears a Green Mountain 36 cal barrel with a Navy Arms 32.5" brass scope. I use my two 32's and two 36's for predator and varmint hunting mostly. This one is great for longer shots at small varmints with the scope, but I also carry it to predator stands too where shots could be longer sometimes.
Oh, VERY NICE, walkman.

See Swampy, isn't that rifle a thing of beauty for bumping off unsuspecting sod poodles, starlings, etc?

I never even thought of a scope on it. hmmmmm... nah... make it too much like my centerfire rifles. I'll stick with the peek 'n squint method.

The whole idea is to give the gophers a bit of a chance they wouldn't have if I was using the Anschutz and a 6x24 scope.

How far away can you whack gopher size critters with that .36?

Yes, of course I'm just guessing, I've never actually spent ten years on ANY job! I did once lap out a Sharon .50 cal that had a loose spot in the middle. I put in three or four long evenings of very hard dirty work before I got it even, at which time I had enlarged the bore about .002"!
Ten years may be an exageration but it would be a hell of a project and, as you said, it progably wouldn't much resemble a rifled bore by the time you had enlarged it even half enough. :grin:

Back