• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Rifle selection question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess when I get started on this thing I’ll have to keep an eye out for these issues. Thanks for the feedback.
You will find out right away if the ramrod is like the one supplied with mine. I did not notice the leaking nipple for a while. The too small diameter of nipple is easily replaced for about $6.00 or so from TOTW nipple.

One major plus with my Crockett is I have shot and reloaded 10 times without having to run a cleaning patch down the barrel.

Good luck with your new Crockett. I like mine fairly well and have done well with mine squirrel hunting but I do wish we had more options for .32 muzzleloader rifles. Going off of mine, as well as what I have read and seen on video's, Crockett Squirrel Rifles will shoot about as accurate as you can from average squirrel hunting distances. I have no problems cleaning mine, especially the breech. A ball short starter is not needed with my Crockett Rifle, which suits me just fine. Patch and ball are easily started with fingers/thumb and then seated with the ramrod.

This is not to say that I have not experienced any issues with mine. The factory ramrod is total, undersized junk. Not only was it cut too short, but its too small diameter for the thimbles, which makes it a rattle trap even when walking through the woods. There is no excuse for producing such an inferior ramrod on a ML that cost so much. I finally got fed up with it and built up my own ramrod out of a hickory blank from TOTW.

The under barrel rib was cut too short, thus leaving a gap between the rib and the front of the stock. That is only cosmetic but it still incorrect and totally uncalled for.

Also, the nipple threads are too sloppy. That, in turn, results in leakage around the nipple. This one concerns me. TOTW sells a 7-1 metric nipple and thread repair kit as a replacement for the 6-1 metric nipple. Looks like I'll be needing to order one soon. For now, I've been using thread tape as a gasket but that too, is a royal pain.

The factory nipple is also too small diameter for #11 caps. TOTW 6-1 nipples rectifies that issue. I have no idea what percussion cap sizes they use in Europe but they must be smaller diameter than #11 caps.

My Crockett Rifle is fairly nice overall but it appears that quality control was on vacation when it was pushed out the door. As a result, I doubt I will ever purchase another ML from Traditions.

Indeed, it would be nice to have more .32 ML rifles to choose from.
Ed i just think you got mostly a Lemon cept the barrel. My Traditions was factory built .50 rock sparker n its been nothing but enjoyment since a got it. Wish my Pedersoli Scout was. Its more like your Crocket has been a royal pia since i got it last July. Slowly have been getting it to shoot better. Maybe by next Fall not this Fall but next i will have it ready to go tick toter hunting with. Or maybe take it on days i don't want to kill one as i doubt it will go off without a hangfire it has now !

I have a Crockett and a T/C cherokee.32 and a Kibler SMR.36. I love my Kibler best but prefer my Crockett over the cherokee. I have had no issues with the Crockett like Etip has. I’ve heard others that have issues with them too. I guess I got lucky.
I’m going to sell the cherokee I believe even though it’s a better quality gun. Just like the Crockett better. I like the longer barrel length.
I have no experience with Pedersoli rifles.

Ed i just think you got mostly a Lemon cept the barrel. My Traditions was factory built .50 rock sparker n its been nothing but enjoyment since a got it. Wish my Pedersoli Scout was. Its more like your Crocket has been a royal pia since i got it last July. Slowly have been getting it to shoot better. Maybe by next Fall not this Fall but next i will have it ready to go tick toter hunting with. Or maybe take it on days i don't want to kill one as i doubt it will go off without a hangfire it has now !

Could be, Mike. As I have said, I have no issues with the way my Traditions Crockett loads, shoots or functions. I've never had a hang fire or misfire with it either. Killed 26 squirrels with it so far this year. However, there is no excuse for any manufacturer to allow any ML to go out the door with some of the defects like this one has had, and still has. The shoddy ramrod issue has been rectified, the barrel rib being too short is only cosmetic, but the very loose nipple hole threads remains. I've been trying to nurse this through early squirrel season by using thread tape around the nipple threads. But there is still substantial leakage even by doing that. Not to mention it is a messy and less than desirable task every time. I reckon it be best if I order one of those 7-1 nipple and tap replacement/repair kits from TOTW and get after this one before it shoots the 6-1 nipple out and this unfortunate situation becomes worse. I just hope it works.

Could be, Mike. As I have said, I have no issues with the way my Traditions Crockett loads, shoots or functions. I've never had a hang fire or misfire with it either. Killed 26 squirrels with it so far this year. However, there is no excuse for any manufacturer to allow any ML to go out the door with some of the defects like this one has had, and still has. The shoddy ramrod issue has been rectified, the barrel rib being too short is only cosmetic, but the very loose nipple hole threads remains. I've been trying to nurse this through early squirrel season by using thread tape around the nipple threads. But there is still substantial leakage even by doing that. Not to mention it is a messy and less than desirable task every time. I reckon it be best if I order one of those 7-1 nipple and tap replacement/repair kits from TOTW and get after this one before it shoots the 6-1 nipple out and this unfortunate situation becomes worse. I just hope it works.
I really hate that your Crocket has/had all those issues. I personally will not buy a kit form Traditions. At this time i have not saw any Traditional model i would buy.

Is the nipple threading issue not a defect that Traditions should replace/make right?

I have a Crockett and a T/C cherokee.32 and a Kibler SMR.36. I love my Kibler best but prefer my Crockett over the cherokee. I have had no issues with the Crockett like Etip has. I’ve heard others that have issues with them too. I guess I got lucky.
I’m going to sell the cherokee I believe even though it’s a better quality gun. Just like the Crockett better. I like the longer barrel length.
I have no experience with Pedersoli rifles.
I have Crocketts and Cherokees as well and I too prefer the Crocketts, my biggest problem with Cherokees is that there isn’t enough drop in the stock making it near impossible for me to get my eye low enough for the sights.

I'm a big fan of the little Crockett and have had a lot of very fine experiences with mine. The accuracy of mine was unbelievable and could put 5 shots in a dime size hole at 44 yards. I killed squirrels with it but shot it more on paper just to see those tiny groups. I foolishly let it get taken away from me and deeply regret that decision. I have another .32, an SMR flintlock that is extremely accurate but just a bit picky.
I still have the original ramrod but made the longer one in the photo. Cleaning was no different from any other rifle I shoot, and I never experienced a problem with mine
PICT0433.jpg

I'm a big fan of the little Crockett and have had a lot of very fine experiences with mine. The accuracy of mine was unbelievable and could put 5 shots in a dime size hole at 44 yards. I killed squirrels with it but shot it more on paper just to see those tiny groups. I foolishly let it get taken away from me and deeply regret that decision. I have another .32, an SMR flintlock that is extremely accurate but just a bit picky.
I still have the original ramrod but made the longer one in the photo. Cleaning was no different from any other rifle I shoot, and I never experienced a problem with mine
PICT0433.jpg
That certainly looked like a nice one. I much prefer no brass hardware on my ml.

I love my crockett, , did work on hammer some. It shoots fine ,if i do my part. Not hard to clean, screw cleaning nipple on put in soap and pump away run dry patch down it a couple times, then oil and wipe down and ready to go. i did work on crown with Mr. Joe Wood crown tool, push ball in with fingers good to go when loading it.

A mate of mine has a Pedersoli scout flinter in .45.

The dealer told him that Pedersoli use the same dimension barrel for all calibers. He’s mostly wheelchair bound and needed something lightweight to handle. The .32 or .36 calibers were heavier than the .45 because so much more barrel mass remained in the small calibers.

That may be a mark in favour of the Traditions.

A mate of mine has a Pedersoli scout flinter in .45.

The dealer told him that Pedersoli use the same dimension barrel for all calibers. He’s mostly wheelchair bound and needed something lightweight to handle. The .32 or .36 calibers were heavier than the .45 because so much more barrel mass remained in the small calibers.

That may be a mark in favour of the Traditions.
That is probably true for a model that has different caliber options available, but not necessarily that ever Pedersoli has the same diameter barrel. I have a .54 caliber Blue Ridge rifle with a 15/16” across the flats barrel. The .45 and .50 caliber barrels are the same size, and thus, weigh more. I have a .45 caliber Pennsylvania Dixie rifle that has a 13/16” across the flats barrel.

I have never shot one of the pedersoli full stocks, but I am a little skeptical of their weight and balance. I might pay a few extra dollars and invest in a slimmer gun with a thinner stock, and a swamped barrel.

I have no such skepticism of half stock rifles however, as most balance manageably as built. So I would vote for the Crockett. I think you would be getting more of what you're paying for with the Crockett.

I have never shot one of the pedersoli full stocks, but I am a little skeptical of their weight and balance. I might pay a few extra dollars and invest in a slimmer gun with a thinner stock, and a swamped barrel.

I have no such skepticism of half stock rifles however, as most balance manageably as built. So I would vote for the Crockett. I think you would be getting more of what you're paying for with the Crockett.
Ok, I’ve have had the opportunity to shoot both the Crockett (mine and one owned by a buddy) and the Pedersoili Scout (that I own) in 32 caliber. Buddy who owns the Crockett I shot is now is the market for a Pedersoli Scout…. Guess he was sold on the Scout. And for giggles and kicks, here is a photograph of my Pedersoli Scout while on guard duty on the back porch waiting for any woodchucks trespassing into garden. And when the opportunity has presented itself, the Pedersoli Scout has not not embarrassed itself while removing numerous coyotes from gene pool. I have no real complaints against the Crockett, just prefer the full stock Pedersoli 32 caliber Scout based on shooting both. Oh, I have the locks for both the percussion and flint setup, but find myself shooting the flint exclusively.
1702958776802.jpeg

Last edited:
I really don't know for certain to be honest. But I worry a bit about the full sized pedersolis being a bit front heavy due to their lack of a swamped bore with and that long barrel. I have had full stocks in the past that are very difficult to shoot offhand due to that reason.

Obviously not a problem with your sweet little rifle, as short as it is, it ought to balance pretty good.

Good luck with your new Crockett. I like mine fairly well and have done well with mine squirrel hunting but I do wish we had more options for .32 muzzleloader rifles. Going off of mine, as well as what I have read and seen on video's, Crockett Squirrel Rifles will shoot about as accurate as you can from average squirrel hunting distances. I have no problems cleaning mine, especially the breech. A ball short starter is not needed with my Crockett Rifle, which suits me just fine. Patch and ball are easily started with fingers/thumb and then seated with the ramrod.

This is not to say that I have not experienced any issues with mine. The factory ramrod is total, undersized junk. Not only was it cut too short, but its too small diameter for the thimbles, which makes it a rattle trap even when walking through the woods. There is no excuse for producing such an inferior ramrod on a ML that cost so much. I finally got fed up with it and built up my own ramrod out of a hickory blank from TOTW.

The under barrel rib was cut too short, thus leaving a gap between the rib and the front of the stock. That is only cosmetic but it still incorrect and totally uncalled for.

Also, the nipple threads are too sloppy. That, in turn, results in leakage around the nipple. This one concerns me. TOTW sells a 7-1 metric nipple and thread repair kit as a replacement for the 6-1 metric nipple. Looks like I'll be needing to order one soon. For now, I've been using thread tape as a gasket but that too, is a royal pain.

The factory nipple is also too small diameter for #11 caps. TOTW 6-1 nipples rectifies that issue. I have no idea what percussion cap sizes they use in Europe but they must be smaller diameter than #11 caps.

My Crockett Rifle is fairly nice overall but it appears that quality control was on vacation when it was pushed out the door. As a result, I doubt I will ever purchase another ML from Traditions.

Indeed, it would be nice to have more .32 ML rifles to choose from.
Sounds similar to the one I owned. It was accurate though. I've been shooting T/C Cherokee and a custom .32 sporting a Montana Rifle Barrel Company barrel the past week. I'm still working with them both but my initial impression is my old Crockett might have been more accurate. I can't comment on Pedersoli except to say I have a Navy Arms Kentucky .45 caplock made by Pedersoli I bought in about 1977 and although I kind of like the look and feel the quality has never impressed me. It was an acquisition early in my muzzleloader experience. I doubt I'd have bought it had I more experience at the time.

Last edited:

But I worry a bit about the full sized pedersolis being a bit front heavy due to their lack of a swamped bore with and that long barrel.
So are you speculating about Pedersoli full stocks or full sized Pedersolis? My post was about a 32 caliber Pedersoli Scout (full stock) vs a 32 caliber Traditions Crockett (half stock), neither of which could be considered a full sized gun, say similar to something like a Bess. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back