• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or .36, maybe a short Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43911

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just about to pick up a small caliber flintlock, I've had a .32 Crockett (now gone) before, what would you pick .32 or .36 and why.
Also thinking of a short Brown Bess, any thoughts on this gun.

Last edited:
I've got a BB carbine due in today.
With it I'm going a little bit further back in history than my other guns, and I've got the versatility of a smoothbore. Ball, shot, buck and ball, I can hunt with it, shorter than my current ML's... it checks a lot of boxes.

Been thinking myself lately of going down to a smaller caliber. From what I’ve dug up so far for me, I would probably go with the 36, the 32 is a bit small for these old hands to handle. Awhile back I inherited a Shenandoah 36 and before I had to pass it on I shot it next to a compatible Pedersoli 32. What Uncle M says is very true (at least for me). It’s easier to clean and steadier in the wind. I was also looking at 40 caliber, but it appears I would need to buy a custom built for that caliber. As far as the Bess goes it is totally different from the 32 and 36, but boy it’s a hoot. I had a reproduction full length many, many, moons ago and loved it. It is all that Pacanis says. If I was going to get another today, I would get the carbine. What till you see what 75 caliber buck and ball do to a watermelon at 50 yards!

Last edited:
I'm now leaning the smooth bore route again if I get another long gun, have to sell stuff first as the BB carbine carries a hefty price tag (over $1,600) for no rifling.

I'm now leaning the smooth bore route again if I get another long gun, have to sell stuff first as the BB carbine carries a hefty price tag (over $1,600) for no rifling.
Well, the 32/36 squirrel rifles and large smooth bores are 2 different animals, but they’re both muzzle stuffers and great fun in their own ways. You might find the 32/36 less expensive. You could obtain one of those and keep your eye out down the line for a nice used BB. I guess I would choose the one that I would use the most. As I said, for the last 6 months I’ve been looking to move down to the smaller calibers. However, all this talk of BB carbines is starting to give me a case of the “Have to haves” for a smooth bore. I need to stay focused, or I’ll have the smooth bore monkey on my back.
R

Yes the monkey, it's his fault. I've had .32, .45 flint and cap, .54, .58 cap and a Pedersoli .62 Indian Trade Gun (I never shot). I should probably quit thinking about the big smoothbore and stick with bow and working out my dry patch lube project.

I was thinking the same thing as you. Wanted some sort of muzzloader smoothbore and a flintlock longarm. I found a good deal on a Pedersoli BB carbine at the local gun store which filled both bills. Still have a bit of a hankering for a tack driving small bore flintlock rifle. With the uncertainty in the black powder supply, especially here in Alaska, it might be nice to have something with a light appetite for powder.

Went through my box of gun stuff, I have flints 1/2"-3/4" and 1", brush, pick etc. on a chain that fits on a button, a few 610RB, a few .735RB , 3 x .310RB, 75 grain horn powder measure, 500 over powder fiber wads for .75 caliber, 500 over shot cards for .75 caliber, 100 20 gauge fiber wads, it's like the world is telling me something. I can always down load a .75 for squirrel .
If anyone has a short Brown Bess please chime in with your thoughts on it and pictures would be fine also.

My neighbor gave me a BB carbine so far I’ve shot a turkey and an 8 point buck with it. Still play with the little 32 for squirrels. That BB seems to always go off for me. So reliable.

Well the decision is made, .62/20gauge it is. I had a Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun a few years ago and never shot it, wished I never sold it. I just purchased a .62/20gauge from Rick here on the forum, in the pictures it looks better in many ways than the Pedersoli I had, my mind is now calm again.

Well, you've finally chose one so I'll just go with this. I have a .32 and a .36 and either will do very well; but I personally would lean toward the .36. Even the .40 makes sense.

Back