• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have good luck with 32 flintlock and do you hunt with it? I want to build one but don't want to put my time and money into a problem child.

I don't hunt but i do shoot my 32 cal rifles the most. cheap and fun. takes a little work to get a good shooting load and small calibers tend to play by different rules than larger ones. I have not had one yet that was a problem child.

I hunt with my .32 flinter during the early squirrel season here in CT. It is a very accurate gun and I have no problems with fouling like some others seem to have. I swab the bore after every 5-6 shots just out of habit, it really isn't necessary. The small balls are sometimes difficult to handle, but I have made a ball block so I don't have to fiddle with balls and patches in the field.

I hunted with a flint .32 for many years. It was very accurate. I also hunted with a .29 for a while too, another accurate rifle
Many people say these small bores foul out quickly, bu I never had any problem. They would load and shoot all day.

I’ve had two .32 rifles. One flint and one percussion. Got rid of both of them due to some of the reason’s mentioned above. The balls are hard to handle but to me it was the cleaning that I didn’t like. It takes tiny shooting and cleaning patches. Using a muzzle protector on a range rod is impossible. I bought custom brass ramrods for both of mine which helped. I’m gonna stick with a 45 cal or my smooth bores with shot if I want to shoot small game. I thought about a 36 or 40 but other than spending money they don’t offer much more than what I can do with a 45.

I own several nice muzzleloaders in various calibers. My favorite is a custom .32 caplock. It is extremely accurate with 25 gr. 3f. I cast .319 RB. I also use Hornady #O buckshot which works very well. A 5lb. Box which may have been discontinued will last many years. I’m in my 60’s and have not found handling the .32 rb or cleaning to be a problem. I think you will be very happy owning a .32.

I had a 32 just sent it off to make a 40 smoothie. Liked hunting squirrels with it but could only get 3 shots and the third one was hard alway thought I was going to break my rod. Don’t know it I should have went to smaller ball or what. First ball loaded easy and never had a problem with the small balls with the loading block. I know the 40 I can use for more and I have a 36 I used to use. I get 6 or 7 shots out of it.

I stayed away from .32 for most my life because of what I “read about it “.

Got my first.32 two years ago. All the stuff I read wasn’t true in my experience. I’ve since bought a SECOND .32 caliber flintlock.

Easy as any to clean, no issues reloading and I can shoot 40 shots and not have to swab barrel (I haven’t shot more than 40 yet at one time, high tech “spit” lube)), the ramrod diameter is no more of an issue than any other ramrod (quick 6” strokes near muzzle), the balls are no big deal to hold (if that cold I use a loading block). 1/2 steel plates “ting” and “move” at 50 yards, but much less authority than a .40 cal obviously.

I wish I had bought one earlier. Absolutely you will be shooting “on the cheap”, lead lasts forever, seems to want 35 grains FFF for optimal accuracy though.

It still is best to head-shoot squirrels, it can tear one up at times. I enjoy target shooting and don’t feel I’m sacrificing anything inside 50 yards.

My experience and opinion. I have several flintlocks in many calibers. Get whatever you want obviously, but don’t discount it either.

I have both a percussion and a flintlock. I solved the fouling problem by keeping the powder charge under 20 grains, using swiss 3f and polishing the bore with either 3m red scouring pad or oooo steel wool. I polish all my barrels. Makes a world of difference. The flintlock is also conned. Makes it a lot easier to load but does not seem to affect accuracy one way or the other. Mike Beliview has a video on polishing bores.

Ferret Master

I recently acquired a .32 caliber flintlock rifle and I'm at the getting to know phase of it. You know, working up a load and getting use to those Itty bitty lead balls. Loading block helps. At this point I don't see any real issues other than not being able to go to the range every day. 😒

Latest posts

Back