• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 Cal Percussion VS .40 Cal??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of a very nice custom made Kentucky rifle in .32 cal with Davis triggers, Green Mountain barrel and siler cap lock. I have never owned any M/L smaller than a .50cal. Can anyone tell me why I WOULD NOT want a .32 cal? I was wanting a .40cal, but saw this beautiful .32 and am "toying" with the idea of the .32 instead of the .40. I do not hunt, just shoot paper with my M/L club.Need your expert guidance. Thoughts?

The .32 is a greatly misunderstood caliber. It is neither prone to fouling anymore than your .50; and it can be loaded to duplicate the .22LR or loaded up way beyond the .22 WMR. It is about the cheapest caliber to shoot; which is important considering the cost of powder and lead. Before buying a mold get a few balls in .311", .315" and even .32" and try them to see what loads easiest and shoots best. I've owned two .32 rifles and shoot a .311" ball and .020" mattress ticking patch lubed with Hoppes BP lube. I never have to wipe the bore while shooting, and loading is easy through the 40th shot.

The biggest difference I could see for a paper shooter would be weight and balance. If the barrels of both are the same diameter across the flats, the 32 is going to be considerably heavier out front. That might be a plus for a dedicated paper shooter.

Like Hanshi I've never had an issue with fouling in my 32 (or my 30 or my 36!).

What is the longest distance you shoot at? If it's 100y or more a heavier caliber would carry better and not be effected in the wind as much otherwise I see no reason not to go with the 32.

I've considered adding a .32 to my collection as well. Currently 90% of my non-hunting shooting is done with a 40. Over time, I've read a lot of reports from .32 shooters, paying attention to their "pet loads". One of the odd things I've noticed about the .32 is the WIDE variety of ball sizes folks have found to work best in their particular rifle. Hanshi's recommendation is worth re-reading. If you acquire a .32, pick up a bag of every possible ball size before settling in and stocking up.
Other than that...I don't know any real reason to stay away from the little .32. Some of my "ham-handed" friends say the tiny balls are too hard to handle but I'm not sure if that's based on experience or just opinion. I've chatted with a lady .32 shooter at Friendship who does quite well with hers, even out to 100 yds which a lot of folks will tell you can't be done. Of course, she's VERY good, watches the wind and shoots something like a 70 gn powder charge for the longer ranges.
If you like the rifle, if it FITS you, and the money is in you price range...WHY NOT..??? :thumbsup:

What's the barrel? Bigger bores weigh less and balance better.

I've seen a few small bores made with real think barrels.

If your plinking and doing it just for fun, think the gun first.

Some serious squirrel woodwalk shooters like as much caliber as allowed to clearly mark a hit. Atleast it's the convention by me.

If the gun fits and balances, it's well built, the price is it, and I hot the excuse and money..... it comes home with me

I seem to have more fouling with my 32's. It would seem it's a 50/50 on that issue. Either you have problems or you don't. It is not a big deal to me, just more inconvenient than anything. With the amount of people that either don't have this problem or do there must be something to it but I think it must be due to combination of caliber and loading technique rather than just the caliber itself. Less room for leeway in a smaller caliber. Next time out I have to experiment a little and see if I can find a better way than what I am doing. I might add than the issue is small enough it would not detour me from picking one I liked, that is if I didn't own 3 already.

I have a Dixie Mountain rifle in 32 and it is very nice, that's why I picked it up. Well balanced, slim and light with a thin barrel plus I always wanted a Dixie rifle anyway so just fit the bill.

Bravo 4-4 said:
I am contemplating the purchase of a very nice custom made Kentucky rifle in .32 cal with Davis triggers, Green Mountain barrel and siler cap lock. I have never owned any M/L smaller than a .50cal. Can anyone tell me why I WOULD NOT want a .32 cal? I was wanting a .40cal, but saw this beautiful .32 and am "toying" with the idea of the .32 instead of the .40. I do not hunt, just shoot paper with my M/L club.Need your expert guidance. Thoughts?

I have owned a couple of .32 rifles. They are fun to shoot and cheap as well. Unlike others, I did have more fouling with them than with the larger calibers but it was a minor problem. I always swab my bore between shots so the fouling was kept to a minimum anyway. But those wiping patches always had a lot of gunk on them when they came out of my bore. To me, it seems that the smaller the caliber, the more fouling I seem to get. I shoot 3f in all of my guns so, at least, that part is consistent. I found that I could shoot buck shot in my rifle and it likked it pretty well. Hornady buckshot is a good bit cheaper per round than buying .32 caliber balls. The .32 is also a great squirrel and rabbit caliber as well small varmints. My advice is that if it is a very nice gun at a good price and you like it, go for it. I think you will enjoy it.

I would be concerned about the safety aspect of using a wood ramrod in a teensy .32. Delrin, stainless steel or brass would be good choices. Even a piece of brazing rod would work and not add much weight.

Like some of the others, I don't have to swab my 32 caliber more often. I use a .310 ball with .015 patch lubed with Hoppe's BP liquid. I haven't shot it beyond 50 yards but it has been as accurate as my 40 caliber out to that distance. If the 32 barrel balances well for you I would go for it. The only downside to the 32 is having a strong enough ramrod in that small caliber. I don't hunt anymore so I use an old steel range rod with a muzzle guide.

Not connected to muzzleloading, but a side benefit to the caliber is I use the same .310 balls to make gallery loads in my 30-06, 308, and 30-30 rifles.

Rifleman1776 said:
I would be concerned about the safety aspect of using a wood ramrod in a teensy .32. Delrin, stainless steel or brass would be good choices. Even a piece of brazing rod would work and not add much weight.

:metoo: I'll second what Rifleman said. Those tiny wooden rods are fragile and if broken can result in a very serious wound. I didn't like the Delrin rod in my .32 because it was too flexable, it was like trying to use a piece of wet spaghetti. I have a brass rod, an aluminum rod as well as that Delrin rod left from my .32 days. I may want to get another .32 someday.

The .32 caliber is fine for squirrels, SMALL varmints and targets up to 50 yds (my opinion) :v . For me I use a metal ramrod and have to swab between shots so I can load another round easely :thumbsup: . If I want to shoot targets or big varmints past 50 yds I go with a .40 or most likely a .45 caliber (I LIKE the .45 calibers :wink: ). Your mileage may vary and as others have said - some like the .32 -- some do not :hatsoff: .

I too have a 32 and use .311 rb with about 12 grains for close work or 25 yard shots. That is with a pillow ticking patch. I usually swab the bore after 5-6 shots when using a spit patch. I love the caliber.

My current .32, though a flintlock and not percussion, is a light rifle with a Rice, "A" weight 38" "Transitional" swamped rb barrel. With a rb groove bore we're talking up to about .016" deep grooves. This takes a fairly thick patch to reach the groove bottoms. I have used .025" denim and it's pretty darn tight. At the range I normally use a ss range rod with a muzzle protector. But I will not use any load that cannot be safely seated with the wood underbarrel rod. So in this case I'll seat some of the loads with the standard underbarrel rod at the range; then I know it will work in the bush.

I mostly use mink oil lube for hunting and the first load of the day, at least, is lubed with it. Mink oil happens to make seating a little tougher than Hoppes; but still within the capabilities of the skinny wood rod. Just choke up on the rod and go a few inches at a time and the rod is unlikely to break.

I've got a .32 and a .40. The .32 is just right for squirrels and will do the job with 20 grains of FFFG. It's very accurate and I wipe between shots so fouling isn't a problem. The .40 is a bit much for small game and a bit less for large game. It's a target rifle and too heavy to lug through the woods anyways.

When I bought mine from Cabela's, a Blue Ridge rifle a buddy of mine got a .36 at the same time and has told me he wish he'd gotten a .32.

Well one is a pea, and the other is a bigger pea...
:haha:

All seriousness now:

I'd pick a .40 but because I always think in terms of 'what if I have to make do'.
Both would be great for small game. The .32 of course would be better for the smallest of game one might shoot. But the .40 is legal for deer in some places and it can take a small deer with a good shot in under 35 yards from all I have read. Now with that all said I wouldn't hunt deer with such a small gun (I hunt deer with .50-.56 rifles. Smacks them good, lays them down half the time on the spot.) unless the lord put me in a situation where I didn't have much choice. Smallest I would go out for an average deer with is a .45, but I could see myself shooting a fawn or yearling with a .40 at close range.

Now that .32 is shooting less lead. But there ain't much of a difference. You will get more roundballs from your lead when casting with the .32 than the .40
But #1 buckshot is cheap enough by the bag that I would just use them instead if I was plinking with a .32 those .30 ball will do great.

My experience has been more to hunting which I see you don't do, but I have found my .32 :hmm: I guess you could say is flat shooting, though I'm not sure that is true. What it does seem to do is with a light load (20 grains) shoots minute of rabbit head at 20, 30, even 45 yards without me thinking about drop.

I'm not sure how that will equate to " just shoot paper" but that little rifle makes me :grin:

Just a suggestion.
More fouling, tell us what your lube is.
Less fouling, tell us what your lube is.

Billnpatti said:
Rifleman1776 said:

:metoo: I'll second what Rifleman said. Those tiny wooden rods are fragile and if broken can result in a very serious wound. I didn't like the Delrin rod in my .32 because it was too flexable, it was like trying to use a piece of wet spaghetti. I have a brass rod, an aluminum rod as well as that Delrin rod left from my .32 days. I may want to get another .32 someday.

I make a habit of 5" strokes when I load my .32 no bendy rods or wood sticking out of my hand. But the fog in my old head cleared a might and I seem to remember being told that the fiberglass rod used to mount a flag on the back of a bike
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMiyrv-6wdUCFRJiAQodHLoGFQ

makes a good rod for a .32

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back