• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coin man

32 Cal
Reaction score
This is a practice build for me. Learned a lot next build should be better.
20190418-193030.jpg

It looks nice from what we can see of the 1 picture. I'm not criticizing your work. You are the best person to do that. I would suggest taking particular note of the mistakes that you know of that you made (we all do) that either led you to make another (like taking too much wood off in areas as an example that became uncorrectable later on) and the mistakes that you didn't spot until it was too late (not modifying a part before inletting for instance). Take note of the remedies too.

Some people are very comfortable and go slowly enough that their first build is suitable for presentation at the Royal Court at Versailles, but most of us grow our skills more slowly, gun by gun; plain gun first, then adding features on subsequent ones as your confidence grows; inlays, scratch made muzzle caps, patch boxes, pipes, wedges, carving, engraving, sights etc. You get the picture.

It's a 50 cal. Twist is 1 in 66 for patch round ball. The barrel and lock was from a Traditions Pennsylvania long rifle. I bought the stock from track of the wolf. Pre carve John Armstrong no in letting. Started last April. All the furniture is German silver, butt plate and trigger guard where sand cast.
Biggest mistake was I didn't get the barrel tight at breech. Also didn't know maple would move that much, that's why I inletted the panels on side. Chipped wood out, now I know to slot my tenons.
Should have took more wood down on barrel flat. All in all had fun in this build and took my time, and learned by my mistakes. Next one I'll build is for my youngest son. Like I said this was a practice gun so I don't make as many mistakes on his.

Oh almost forgot. Couldn't get my wife to hold it so I could take the picture.

Back