• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F in Remington new army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone use 2F in a .44 cap and ball revolver? I know 3F is the recommended load, but I have a LOT of 2F powder and was wondering if anyone had found a useful load using 2F.

Based on the experience of a poster here (don't remember who) about using 2F in his pistols, I gave it a shot. Accuracy and function have been stellar. Its all I use now.

+1 on what Cowboy2 said. All I use in any C&B revolvers 36 or 44. It makes for a softer shooting load and if you experiment with a little more powder you will get the same velocity and still retain the softer recoil impulse. I found my best results were achieved by compressing the load a little more than with 3Fg.

I have tried 2f in my Remmy and it actualy worked just as well as the 3f I usually use. I would use what I have a lot of. :applause:

Of all my guns, only 1 or 2 like 3f more than 2f, and those shoot great with 2f. I much prefer it for open top guns just because it is putting up only 2/3 to 3/4 the pressure that 3f does. According to Keith, 3F was used for .31 and smaller revolvers.

Personally, even though the repro's are made of much better steel, I would feel a little queezy shooting 3f in Walkers and Dragoons. I have done so in the past, but I know more now than I did then. I have never heard of a new one being damaged by regular BP, but that is an awful lot of powder to be pounding on those barrel wedges. I don't have a Walker any more, but I do have a pair of Uberti 2nd Model Dragoons. They shoot well with a full service charge of 2F, a felt wad, and a .457" ball.

As mentioned above, you will also want to play with ramming pressure. 3F seems to shoot best right after you feel the "crunch" of the ball seating on the powder. 2F seems to like a good bit more, tho not as much as you are supposed to use for Pyro. Pyro likes all you can do short of bending the rammer. I have not fired one grain of Pyro in 30 years, and have no intention of ever doing so again. I would rather climb the learning curve of making my own BP than deal with that stuff.

Back