• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28ga Early Virginia spoke at 6:40am today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job! Thanks for posting, I really enjoy reading about your adventures. Also, I can appreciate the satisfaction that you get when sharing your bounty with the needy family.

Way to go man! I'm hoping I get a opportunity to take one with my 10 gauge this year.

im impressed! ive tried calling turkeys in ...and Ive gone with people who said they were practically pros at it...I ahve yet to see a turkey in the woods while hunting ..:( drive to NY show me how its done

Bryon said:
im impressed! ive tried calling turkeys in ...and Ive gone with people who said they were practically pros at it...I ahve yet to see a turkey in the woods while hunting ..:( drive to NY show me how its done
Well, you have to remember, you only see / hear about the successful trips like this one was...we usually don't post about all the times we come home empty handed, LOL.
Like today...from first light to right now typing this post, I haven't heard a single gobble.
Also remember, your odds improve if you hunt "where they area" so there's a big premium on preseason scouting / locating them.
And be patient...it'll happen...if it was easy there would be no appeal to it

roundball said:
Just so it's clear, I don't care one bit about how you choose to hunt or what you do with your game...not one bit.
:thumbsup:

It's an honorable tradition up here for folks to provide for those in need. In the villages without grocery stores, no one talks about "my" game and takes it all home for themselves. It's "our" game, and the poor and elderly always get the first cuts.

You'd make a dandy Alaskan with your insights on how the world works. :applause:

way to go dude, killed one a couple years ago with my smoothbore [which i sold like a jack wagon]but in the works to build another.Trying with a longbow right now with no luck yet.

Took the 28ga EVA out to try and duplicate it this morning, had a gobbler respond to the call a couple times around 8:30 - 9:00, 75-100yds away, then went quiet and never showed...suspect he had some hens already.

But usually nature provides us with memorable events on otherwise unsuccessful days...got a close-up video of a Hen Turkey. Hen surprised me coming along right in front of me”¦pecking and clucking along.

NOTE: I used the new “Stealth Cluck-Suppression Wireless Audio”

(a.k.a ”“ some idiot had not plugged in the MIC cable when setting up in the dark this morning !!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5LwY2wEEU

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundball, did you use your 100gr powder charge out of this smoothie that you developed last year. I have to admit, I winced at a .530 ball over 100gr for turkey. How did the body/meat damage turn out?

No, I decided last year to just stay with the 90grn charge of Goex 3F. (my deer load)
The way I ended hp taking this shot was from rear to front, straight through the vitals that are in an unusual location compared to a lot of game we go after...so there really wasn't any major meat damage at all...just the little exit area at the beard root, size of a quarter.

roundball said:
Took the 28ga EVA out to try and duplicate it this morning, had a gobbler respond to the call a couple times around 8:30 - 9:00, 75-100yds away, then went quiet and never showed...suspect he had some hens already.

But usually nature provides us with memorable events on otherwise unsuccessful days...got a close-up video of a Hen Turkey. Hen surprised me coming along right in front of me”¦pecking and clucking along.

NOTE: I used the new “Stealth Cluck-Suppression Wireless Audio”

(a.k.a ”“ some idiot had not plugged in the MIC cable when setting up in the dark this morning !!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5LwY2wEEU

Well...I'm embarrassed...I had the MIC cable plugged it after all...I just had the volume on my PC turned down !!
The clucks are there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep at it! When it happens it may convert you to a "turkey hunting" as a favorite like me! When it works it works well, when it don't ya wont get a turkey PERIOD!

Over calling is a big mistake and remember them big birds will see you BLINK and take off, absolute stillness is the key to closing the deal!

And now I really MUST get a smoothbore! Nice hunt and bird and God bless ya for helping out folks!

Latest posts

Back