• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.225-32 tap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festus

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I am sure this may have come up before but here goes. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything. I am trying to find a .225-32 tap for old colt nipples. I am in the process of trying to loosen up the nipples in an original 1849 Colt Pocket and would like to find a tap in case I need to clean up the threads. I have searched the internet with no luck. I was told Lodgewood carried them at one time and am still waiting to hear back from them. I have a lathe and may end up making one. Anyone have any ideas?

No luck. They didn't have one.
Looks like a 4 week lead time. Maybe.
1712345423222.png

Are you sure it isn't #12 - 32? That's real close to .225 (.218 I think) and the same number of threads per inch. 12 - 32 taps are fairly common, but not as common as 8s and 10s.

Are you sure it isn't #12 - 32? That's real close to .225 (.218 I think) and the same number of threads per inch. 12 - 32 taps are fairly common, but not as common as 8s and 10s.

A 12-32 is 2.16” . Colt revolvers are.225-32. It might work for cleaning threads though. I would like to find the right one, but this might work, thanks.

Close but no cigar. Info I have seen shows 225-32 threads for original Colts and Remingtons. Not the time or place for a pretty much ok tap in my opinion.

For cleaning the rust out of old parts, without removing original metal, having a tap that's a little smaller in diameter would be safer.

If you are wanting to clean up the threads - not tapping a hole - and have a lathe then I would do as some here have suggested and make a "tap" that would clean up the existing hole. A tool steel tap even if it is not heat treated would work well for this type of use. It would not last but for 5 or 6 uses it would work. Just use plenty of tapping fluid and go slow backing up often ;) .

If you are wanting to clean up the threads - not tapping a hole - and have a lathe then I would do as some here have suggested and make a "tap" that would clean up the existing hole. A tool steel tap even if it is not heat treated would work well for this type of use. It would not last but for 5 or 6 uses it would work. Just use plenty of tapping fluid and go slow backing up often ;) .
That’s probably the route I will have to go.

Well, looks like I won’t need a tap after all. I have been soaking the cylinder for a week in Liquid Wrench and alternating between warming with a heat gun and freezing by setting it outside. The threads look great. When I got the nipples out, I screwed a .22 caliber cleaning brush through the holes and they look great. Thanks for the info.
IMG_6237.jpeg
IMG_6236.jpeg

To get the last two out, I clamped 2 drill bits that fit tight in cylinder into vise as seen in picture. I placed my nipple wrench on the nipple and applied light pressure, while tapping downward on top of wrench with a small hammer. They popped loose immediately. I feel like I won the lottery! New nipples should be here tomorrow.
IMG_6239.jpeg

I have an update from the email I sent to Lodgewood. They said they don’t carry them anymore because they lost their supplier. Hopefully this will help some one else.

Back