• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

220 Grit Better?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I use Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution- which is pretty easy to use no matter what you do BUT. My first few guns I took down to 600 grit paper. The rust "took" in spots but after a few coats the spots all blended together. Some one told me to only go to #320, which I did on maybe the next two guns. Better, faster. This time I only went to #220. I could see the lines of the paper but I waited about 8 hours between coats which built up a heavy coat and darn if I can see any lines. Rather than "old penny" smooth it is a little rougher but I think it looks pretty good and it sure was quick and easy. In any event, IMHO if you are getting spots or streaks when you brown, think about preparing the barrel with a slightly rougher sand paper- I think it encourages faster, more even browning. I may settle on #320 but as I said even the #220 looks good.

After draw filing, a light rub w/ 220 grit paper, a hot wash w/ "Dawn", a hot rinse and dry and LMF is applied. Because of the "etch", a matte finish actually does away w/ any imperfections, so why go further than 220? My first coat of LMF is left in the "sweat box" for 12 hrs which yields a heavy rust which is carded w/ green "Scotchbrite" and the next coat is left for another 12 hrs and again the "Scotchbrite" rub. The matte finish is already there and the next 3 coats are for color and are 3-4 hrs each in the sweat box w/ a denim card between coats. Browning time...36-40 hrs for a durable, nicely colored brown....Fred

and when your all done with the browning warm up the barrel good and apply paste wax, let it cool on then buff off. makes a nice smooth even look.

I'm still undecided between 320 and 220 but 320 is definately the finest one should go IMHO. I use the terry cloth to card but on heavy rust I have also used a scotchbrite just to insure any possible loose rust is removed. I have always used a sweat box before but this time I forgot it and got just as good a result however I live in a humid climate.

Back