• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024 cap update, bad and the bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reloading supplies, especially powder, are scarce in n my neck of the woods. But thankfully, like you, I over bought in the 80’s & 90’s and then again in 2010-2012. I’ve just started loading some centerfire again after a long hiatus and I have everything I need. But I’d sure hate to be someone trying to get started at this time unless they have a fat wallet.

I have to admit that I'm a collector and hoarder myself, as my Ex wife (a Psychiatrist of all things) said "geez you've got a lot of stuff darleeeng"

Maybe its an embedded part of our DNA and a primeval urge thing, makes sense to me considering as a baby boomer I was raised by great depression survivors who themselves were raised by well experienced Hard Times generations before them.

We are not being lead by "fools and quizlings", but by a well organized amd powerful conglomerate, who are executing their plans to perfection. We will soon be looking back to the Good Old Days of early 2024, when our biggest problem was finding caps and other bawbles for our hobbies. Not scared, I've read the end of the Book, and I know in whom I have believed. Might be time for some folks though to take an assessment of their "retirement plans". Meanwhile, I'll just keep doing what I do until the horse throws me off. Busted off some caps this afternoon on a glorious 60° day in NW Missouri. Treasure these times.

You sir are a realist, I too believe that we're in for a horror year and more.

I have to admit that I'm a collector and hoarder myself, as my Ex wife (a Psychiatrist of all things) said "geez you've got a lot of stuff darleeeng"

Maybe its an embedded part of our DNA and a primeval urge thing, makes sense to me considering as a baby boomer I was raised by great depression survivors who themselves were raised by well experienced Hard Times generations before them.
Agree, same here.

Seriously why should we apologise for it ?
All the waffle about getting rid of our hard earned possessions and artefacts that give meaning to our lives....to us as individuals at least; intrudes on one of our fundamental freedoms, and I for one refuse to change that.
Agree. No apologies coming from me.

Brother Steve and I drove to Back Creek Gun Shop at Winchester when things first started looking bad a few years ago and stocked up while stocks were still plentiful. I"m still using some centerfire primers and powders I squirreled away along with 1000 pounds of Linotype during the Clinton years :thumb: You're not a hoarder if you anticipate needs and possible changing conditions and purchase accordingly during times of plenty. To me a hoarder is the guy who buys up supplies way beyond his needs screwing people when supplies get short.:mad:

I watched that video, and i disagree with one thing he said. Ethan said if you were in Walmart and saw some caps, to just buy a few tins, and leave the rest for some other fellas. Well, that is a nice gesture, and it is exactly what I did last fall. I got plenty of caps, so I just got 3 tins for $5.62, leaving 17 on the hook. Not 30 secinds later, a low grade poltroon that I recognize from his table at the local gun shows, swoops in and takes all the remaining caps. Saw him in December selling those caps for $35 per 100. I should have bought them all and gave them away, and that is exactly what i will do next time. Buy caps when you can, and pass them out to your muzzleloading friends. If you don't, those scurvy buzzards are surely going to, and they will sell them for 700% mark-up.
Had the same problem at our Walmart. I'm friends with the girl that runs sporting goods there. One day I asked her when they were getting any. She said they filled two hooks with them the same morning and immediately two guys cleaned them all out. The same two guys that are always buying up the whole lot of different things gun related. Probably did the same thing with them. So now my attitude is, when I see them, go ahead and load up all I can afford. Otherwise those same two pricks are gonna get them all. That might make me a prick too. But I'm a well armed prick... I don't mark them up and try to bend people over with high prices though. I stock 'em and shoot 'em.

Splitting hairs, but CSG (Vista buyer) is a different company than Colt CZ Group, who's parent organization is Ceska Zbrojovka Partners SE; CZ bought Colt in 2021.
Yes. I should have been clearer, CZ and CSG are not the same, even though they are both Czech. My point was majority foreign control of the arms industry is a national security mistake. FN also owns Browning and Winchester (arms, not ammo).

Had the same problem at our Walmart. I'm friends with the girl that runs sporting goods there. One day I asked her when they were getting any. She said they filled two hooks with them the same morning and immediately two guys cleaned them all out. The same two guys that are always buying up the whole lot of different things gun related. Probably did the same thing with them. So now my attitude is, when I see them, go ahead and load up all I can afford. Otherwise those same two pricks are gonna get them all. That might make me a prick too. But I'm a well armed prick... I don't mark them up and try to bend people over with high prices though. I stock 'em and shoot 'em.
That’s the thing. I can understand some folks stocking up on caps. But the thought of folks buying up all they can get and then turn around and try to gouge others just to make a few dollars is unacceptable.

I asked a Walmart guy that works in the sporting good section of my local Walmart that question. He’s an older guy that I know is a hunter. Not some kid…
He said it’s Walmarts policy not to sell certain explosives like caps within a certain amount of miles from a major city. He was unsure if the miles but to put it in perspective… this store is in Canton, Ga. The city would be Atlanta. If I drove on a good day it would take about 45 minutes to get to Atlanta on the interstate.
That Walmart never has them. But another Walmart that’s about another 40 minutes away does have them once a year.
That’s strictly Walmarts policy.
I don't think he's accurate on that one. I've bought them several times at a Wal-Mart within the Charlotte city limits because they don't fly off the shelf there like they do in the rural areas.

I lucked out a couple months ago and found CCI caps at Cabela's Canada. There was a post on another forum they were in stock. I bought 500 at 11 at night online and they were all sold out by 06:00 the next morning. I'll be good for this year and next. Shooting the flinter a lot.

Yes. I should have been clearer, CZ and CSG are not the same, even though they are both Czech. My point was majority foreign control of the arms industry is a national security mistake. FN also owns Browning and Winchester (arms, not ammo).
I'm not seeing the national security angle. When the military selected the Berreta pistol they required manufacturing to be in the US. I expect it's now the same with Sig.

It is not just caps. All ammunition, reloading components, parts and guns are in extremely limited supply and have all become extremely expensive. I saw that some common smokeless powder is now over $60 / pound! Primers? Some CF ammo not allowed to be sold to civilians. Given the high demand there is no legitimate reason that caps are not being made to cash in.

The restrictions must be bureaucratic. I do not believe for a second it is due to the China Flu. To me it is obvious that we are looking at back door gun control in action. IF you want to shoot cap locks you better learn to make caps. Civilian shooting sports are fading away. If you were just starting out why would anyone put up with this. The future is bleak.
If I were someone looking to get into this sport I would look at doing something else because unless your established and have a good amount of what is crucial like a lot of us guys you are going to get really desponded very fast When you can’t find what you need. Because your exactly right the future is bleak…

I watched that video, and i disagree with one thing he said. Ethan said if you were in Walmart and saw some caps, to just buy a few tins, and leave the rest for some other fellas. Well, that is a nice gesture, and it is exactly what I did last fall. I got plenty of caps, so I just got 3 tins for $5.62, leaving 17 on the hook. Not 30 secinds later, a low grade poltroon that I recognize from his table at the local gun shows, swoops in and takes all the remaining caps. Saw him in December selling those caps for $35 per 100. I should have bought them all and gave them away, and that is exactly what i will do next time. Buy caps when you can, and pass them out to your muzzleloading friends. If you don't, those scurvy buzzards are surely going to, and they will sell them for 700% mark-up.
Pass along his name and location. That way we can pass him up. TDY

I don't think he's accurate on that one. I've bought them several times at a Wal-Mart within the Charlotte city limits because they don't fly off the shelf there like they do in the rural areas.
I’m sure you’re right. I’m not sure he was actually told that or he thought that was the way it was.

Being new to muzzleloading, I haven't had years when things where plentiful to accumulate a reserve of supplies, haven't been able to find #11 caps anywhere online, cleaned out a local gunshop who had enough to last me a couple months,

Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Dick's, the other 20+ gunshops in town had Nada! I bought 2 nipples to convert my T/C Hawken to use Musket caps, and have even considered buying a flintlock, in the event I run out completely before I can find anymore.

Wanted to ask if a nipple could be modified to use a standard rifle or shotgun primer?

Back