• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like my 40 caliber Kibler SMR. I found it for sale here on this site within driving distance for the cost of a kit. I wouldn't discount it for being a flintlock. Plenty fast enough for squirrels.

Then again, I'm 0 for 0 with it. Not the gun's fault. I can't go to the woods without my dog. He absolutely loves squirrel hunting, but the squirrels hide out when he's with me. He's 11 years old and we've only managed to kill about a dozen squirrels. That's been with unmentionables.
Thanks for the information. I just posted a thread inquiring about using a .40 caliber for squirrel hunting. I have zero experience with a .40 caliber ML. If anyone in this thread has actual experience killing squirrels with a .40 calibiber, please post up.

Definitely not interested in a flintlock.

Like all muzzleloaders, the 40 can be loaded mild or wild. Anything between 20 and 60 grains will work. After looking at ballistic tables, I'm not going to try killing a deer with it, I have a 50 for that. That said, using light loads for close range (20-25 yards) should work perfectly.

Like all muzzleloaders, the 40 can be loaded mild or wild. Anything between 20 and 60 grains will work. After looking at ballistic tables, I'm not going to try killing a deer with it, I have a 50 for that. That said, using light loads for close range (20-25 yards) should work perfectly.
Thanks. That's my thinking as well.

I really like my 40 caliber Kibler SMR. I found it for sale here on this site within driving distance for the cost of a kit. I wouldn't discount it for being a flintlock. Plenty fast enough for squirrels.

Then again, I'm 0 for 0 with it. Not the gun's fault. I can't go to the woods without my dog. He absolutely loves squirrel hunting, but the squirrels hide out when he's with me. He's 11 years old and we've only managed to kill about a dozen squirrels. That's been with unmentionables.
A dog can be a real help or not so much. Sometimes, depending on several factors, we do better without him/her. But I know how it is: they seem to know when we are going hunting, and then we have to decide how firm we can be and live with ourselves. It's a matter of the heart - yours and the dog's. Most often for me, my precious dog wins.

Thanks for the information. I just posted a thread inquiring about using a .40 caliber for squirrel hunting. I have zero experience with a .40 caliber ML...

ETipp, Interesting thread in here from 12 years ago on similar question about .45's: LINK

Example quotes:

Rifleman1776: "I'll betcha ye could fill the Grand Canyon with all the squirrels that have been killed with a .45 cal. ml rifle."

Flash Pan Dan: "I have used a 45 for small game. Worked just as well as a 36. It didn't ruin any more or any less meat than the 36. I also found using the 45 much easier to load and clean than the 36. If I had a choice for small game only caliber; it would a 40 or a 45. One reason is that you can use a 3/8 ramrod with both."

I'm sorta leaning back towards a .45.

ETipp, Interesting thread in here from 12 years ago on similar question about .45's: LINK

Example quotes:

Rifleman1776: "I'll betcha ye could fill the Grand Canyon with all the squirrels that have been killed with a .45 cal. ml rifle."

Flash Pan Dan: "I have used a 45 for small game. Worked just as well as a 36. It didn't ruin any more or any less meat than the 36. I also found using the 45 much easier to load and clean than the 36. If I had a choice for small game only caliber; it would a 40 or a 45. One reason is that you can use a 3/8 ramrod with both."

I'm sorta leaning back towards a .45.
Well now, that is some good information.

Thanks for posting it.

As much as I love to squirrel hunt with a .32, and considering a .40 is supposed to be very accurate, I’m still kicking around the idea of one. I have enough big bores for big game.

A .45 would be a good do-all caliber for both IF one uses good shot placement on larger game.

Last edited:
Years ago I bought the parts to make a 45 cal. long rifle. You could hunt deer and squirrels at the same time. Then the blame commission changed the rules. Has to be 40 cal. or smaller for small game. When I called and asked why the change, the person on the other end kept saying that people were shooting small game with 50 caliber rifles! I guess he equated a 50 cal. flintlock with a 50 BMG! Why do stupid p[eople get put in places of responsibility on things that they know nothing about?

The first game animal I shot with a muzzleloader was a squirrel with a .45 over 35 years ago. I tucked the rifle between my coat and back, zipped the garment up tight, climbed a small diameter tree to ascend to a large horizonal sycamore branch about 12' off the ground to wait for a whitetail to saunter by. As the shadows lengthen that first deer season afternoon my patience was tested and found wanting. Didn't help that ol boar fox squirrel didn't approve of my presence up in his realm and commenced to barking, scolding, tail flipping all while giving me the evil eye on eye level with my improvised perch. Convinced that all deer in the parcel were never to slip through the trail toward the adjoining corn field while this little tree rat was alerting every being of the lump of an intruder sitting on the sycamore limb was only there with nefarious intent, the plan was to pop a #11 cap to unleash fire and lead at said squirrel's cocked head. At least I would walk back to the house with something to show for the effort.
The boom was immediate. The lifeless carcass of squirrel was tossed from his position instantaneously. My satisfaction was complete. I would slither down said climbing tree to claim the prize of headless fur ball, tote him home by the tail and show my prowess as a great white hunter with the abundance of organic meat that the mighty weapon carried in the other hand, as well as my rock steady aim, provided for a grateful and adoring family. Consider the crestfallen look upon my mug when hefting the mangled critter from the leaf litter of that small spot on this great globe. The projectile veered slightly left, missing the noggin but careening into the neck, down the length of the body and out the spuge hole, causing everything in between to sully what little edible muscle left on the frame that could be found. Hoss Dog ate well that evening. Me? Nothing. Nothing to show for time spent on that hard slick branch but memories and experience. But what a memory and experience it was.

I didn't shoot at another squirrel with the .45 after that. The next Spring I purchased a TC Cherokee kit in .32 and made even more memories, and edible meat for the pot.

Keep the recap of your hunts coming, Ed. Don't think I'll make it down to the Dan'l Boone this Spring season, as I have the last two. The mating season started on our last day two years ago. That was a wild and exciting morning of hunting along the South Fork. You have much more to look forward to if it is anything like that day was in June. 2023 we went in May and it was a dead forest by comparison. June was better by far.
We'll be here with popcorn and sody pop for the next installment you'll be typing.

Guys, ever since the storms came through last Friday, we are still experiencing internet and cell reception issues. It’s pretty much off and on with cell phones and totally out for desktop’s. I have no idea how much longer this will persist.

If anyone is wanting to order a book from me and cannot get in contact, please send Gum Slough Muzzleloader a message.

Thank you

The first game animal I shot with a muzzleloader was a squirrel with a .45 over 35 years ago. I tucked the rifle between my coat and back, zipped the garment up tight, climbed a small diameter tree to ascend to a large horizonal sycamore branch about 12' off the ground to wait for a whitetail to saunter by. As the shadows lengthen that first deer season afternoon my patience was tested and found wanting. Didn't help that ol boar fox squirrel didn't approve of my presence up in his realm and commenced to barking, scolding, tail flipping all while giving me the evil eye on eye level with my improvised perch. Convinced that all deer in the parcel were never to slip through the trail toward the adjoining corn field while this little tree rat was alerting every being of the lump of an intruder sitting on the sycamore limb was only there with nefarious intent, the plan was to pop a #11 cap to unleash fire and lead at said squirrel's cocked head. At least I would walk back to the house with something to show for the effort.
The boom was immediate. The lifeless carcass of squirrel was tossed from his position instantaneously. My satisfaction was complete. I would slither down said climbing tree to claim the prize of headless fur ball, tote him home by the tail and show my prowess as a great white hunter with the abundance of organic meat that the mighty weapon carried in the other hand, as well as my rock steady aim, provided for a grateful and adoring family. Consider the crestfallen look upon my mug when hefting the mangled critter from the leaf litter of that small spot on this great globe. The projectile veered slightly left, missing the noggin but careening into the neck, down the length of the body and out the spuge hole, causing everything in between to sully what little edible muscle left on the frame that could be found. Hoss Dog ate well that evening. Me? Nothing. Nothing to show for time spent on that hard slick branch but memories and experience. But what a memory and experience it was.

I didn't shoot at another squirrel with the .45 after that. The next Spring I purchased a TC Cherokee kit in .32 and made even more memories, and edible meat for the pot.

Keep the recap of your hunts coming, Ed. Don't think I'll make it down to the Dan'l Boone this Spring season, as I have the last two. The mating season started on our last day two years ago. That was a wild and exciting morning of hunting along the South Fork. You have much more to look forward to if it is anything like that day was in June. 2023 we went in May and it was a dead forest by comparison. June was better by far.
We'll be here with popcorn and sody pop for the next installment you'll be typing.
Thanks for the great write up.

So far, spring season is much different here than anticipated. Much, much, rain, we are about 2-4 weeks ahead of time on seasonal conditions, and lots of wind. The woods are thicker than I can remember seeing in the past already. It has been tough so far with only 8 squirrels killed. Things have been so difficult with the storms and wind, as well as such an early season in the woods, I haven’t been out but a few times.

With the seasonal conditions being so early, I’m guessing that spring mating/chasing is not far away. It could happen at any time.

The advantage of a muzzleloader is that I can use less powder for small game. Before the change in the law i took squirrels with my 50 cal. loaded with less powder. Good accuracy and less meat destruction.

This pic is for our good friend Cruiser.

When you get real good at catching squirrels, you can do this.😁

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
This pic is for our good friend Cruiser.

When you get real good at catching squirrels, you can do this.😁
Whoa! A double. Very impressive, however I must remind you that I'm currently working on #13 🤣

I have two youths of the year exploring new territory (mine!) But so far they don't seem to comprehend that bait is good to eat. Once I get them to The Colony I'm sure their elders will educate them as well as instill the deep respect owed to their Messiah.

Whoa! A double. Very impressive, however I must remind you that I'm currently working on #13 🤣

I have two youths of the year exploring new territory (mine!) But so far they don't seem to comprehend that bait is good to eat. Once I get them to The Colony I'm sure their elders will educate them as well as instill the deep respect owed to their Messiah.
Well to be fair, I've only set out squirrel traps two times, but I'll let you enjoy your numbers thing. You have definitely earned it.

Lucky for you, pal. Catching squirrels in traps is not my thing. Just helping out a friend. :)

Back