• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My war on squirrels is going well. #3

20240311_084230_copy_600x800.jpg

Interesting read: LINK

RE: my earlier post, #470. I witnessed it with my own eyes. Could my partner have shot them off? I don't see how. Still, biologists say we are delusional and it's just lore.

Last edited:
Interesting read: LINK

RE: my earlier post, #470. I witnessed it with my own eyes. Could my partner have shot them off? I don't see how. Still, biologists say we are delusional and it's just lore.
I agree with you Hammer. October tree stands let you take in a lot of "data". You can tell by the sounds those little suckers make when it goes from trying to chase each other off, to mortal combat.

I agree with you Hammer. October tree stands let you take in a lot of "data". You can tell by the sounds those little suckers make when it goes from trying to chase each other off, to mortal combat.
I believe you, Yellowhammer. My Grandpa witnessed a chased squirrel nuter a Tom cat. The squirrel made for the offside of a tree whilst the Tom cat ran up the front side of the trunk. Squirrel reached the "Y" first and severed the nuts right out of the sac of ol Tom. Grandpa said he squealed, too, dragging what was left of his Tomhood behind him.
Nature knows how to win a fight anyway it needs to.

I believe you, Yellowhammer. My Grandpa witnessed a chased squirrel nuter a Tom cat. The squirrel made for the offside of a tree whilst the Tom cat ran up the front side of the trunk. Squirrel reached the "Y" first and severed the nuts right out of the sac of ol Tom. Grandpa said he squealed, too, dragging what was left of his Tomhood behind him.
Nature knows how to win a fight anyway it needs to.
Squirrels do like nuts 🤣

Back on the subject of squirrel rifles, LG Outdoors / Wholesale Hunter has a stock (site says 15) of .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlocks on hand: FRONTIER

Pedersoli does not list .32 as an option on the Italian web site; may have been a special run? These are Covid era guns, which I have heard might have quality issues since a lot of the factory craftsmen were hammered by the pandemic in Italy and less skilled people stepped in. Sorta high $$$. Has anyone seen or handled one of these?

LG/Wholesale doesn't have the best reputation around here. No showroom, you have to order sight unseen, and they don't accept returns; i.e. customer satisfaction is NOT guaranteed.

Thoughts?

I looked pretty hard at them. The barrel length I like. But that price is to close to Kiblers smr. I don’t think they’re in the same league. I don’t hear a lot of good about pedersoli. If you have a problem with Kiblers, which I highly doubt you would, they stand behind their products 100%. And American made!! Just my .02.

I looked pretty hard at them. The barrel length I like. But that price is to close to Kiblers smr. I don’t think they’re in the same league. I don’t hear a lot of good about pedersoli. If you have a problem with Kiblers, which I highly doubt you would, they stand behind their products 100%. And American made!! Just my .02.
Yep, understand; already have a .54 Woodsrunner. Just the thought instant gratification; picking one up and shooting that day, you know. Maybe a little kit fatigue on my part, that's all I've been doing lately. Also always thought the "Hatfield" style was sorta cool and unique. Admit I'm spooked on the Ped quality issues...

Agree completely with you on this. And, the Kibler barrel is probably not a weight issue being swamped. It's probably lighter and better balanced than the Ped.

Just me on the aesthetics, but the stock style on the Ped just isn't appealing. Too Lehigh for me and that's something I personally am not a fan of.

...barrel is probably not a weight issue being swamped. It's probably lighter and better balanced ..

I just can't bring myself to risk buying swamped again. I know, I know, people will reply their swamped barrel is the most accurate gun they've owned, it's your fault, etc. But I can't keep pouring $ into searching for a swamped gun with the accuracy I am happy with... I don't really want to go into it, but promise you, it's the barrel on this latest one...

I think I'll take ETipp's advice and just get the Crockett.

I just can't bring myself to risk buying swamped again. I know, I know, people will reply their swamped barrel is the most accurate gun they've owned, it's your fault, etc. But I can't keep pouring $ into searching for a swamped gun with the accuracy I am happy with... I don't really want to go into it, but promise you, it's the barrel on this latest one...

I think I'll take ETipp's advice and just get the Crockett.
You won't regret the Crockett I'll bet. She'll shoot as good as you do. And keep some money in your pocket. I'll have a Kibler someday. My daughter is starting graduate school next fall, so I have to squeeze my nickels for now.

Back