• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate this, Ed.
Take Care Stay Safe
Sounds like a good time anyway. You'll get it done. Thanks for telling us about it. I wanted to go this weekend too but it was way too windy. Gonna be 58 here for a high the next couple days so I'm hoping to go for at least a few minutes. That is if the hurricane clears out. Best of luck on your next hunt.

Good evening, To All.
First I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, truly appreciate it.
Second I would like to thank everyone on the forum for encouraging the shooting of Patched Round Balls, and Flintlocks.
Right off the bat, NO KILLS.
Weather was great both days, Sunday winder than Saturday. Not a reason or excuse for no kills.
This the first time Hunting with a .32 PRB, or any caliber PRB. I did practice with my rifle and felt confident on how well it shot, put a lot or Balls in a 2" red dot, from bench postion, and off shoulder while sitting.
I will humble myself after shooting it straight up, low light conditions.
I was about to break out my Double Barrel Percussion Shotgun.....
I've been waiting for this season to use the PRB, I'm not hungry or starving so the Shotgun is staying put till Turkey Season Next spring.
I'm 58 plus and still learning and loving it. I'll get some, season runs till March 3rd.
Henry and I seen alot, Henry treed about 10 squirrels, maybe more. I had shots at about half of them, although there was one in every tree he sat, scratched at and barked not all was shootable. Alot of leaves still on the trees, and they were way up to the tops.Them Hickory and Oaks sure seemed tall past 2 days.
3 shots and I missed, not sure elevation or windage. Muzzleloading Season opens the 21st so it will be Deer and Hog time. I will try some squirrel hunting when I get home, hunting at WMA not far away. I will be use PRB in a Lyman GPR.
Maybe it was because they didn't have Red Spots on them, yeah that's why I missed.
Again Henry did his part, I failed to make a kill. I did enjoy the ti.e in the woods with my dog, I know he did also.
Hopefully next post will have Photos of some nice little grays.
Sorry so long, again thanks for the good reading and the knowledge past on...

Gum Slough and Henry.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Thanks for the honest report, Fred. I have confidence that you and ole Henry will get it done in due time. At least the both of you had a good time.

As I have said a few times now, this style of hunting is a true test of patience, hunting skills, marksmanship, with some luck thrown in on top. Definitely not as easy as many think it is. And indeed, a squirrel way up in the tops of those big ole, tall, hickory and oak trees are a small target for sure, especially with less than favorable light conditions.

Stick with it and you will score. When you do, you will be hooked for life. IMO, it really is that rewarding.

FWIW, until the leaf's have all fallen from the trees, it may be best to leave Henry at home and focus on sneaking around very slowly through the woods. I would reckon a high percentage of my squirrel kills with my Crockett rifle was done in such a fashion. If they don't know you're there, your success rate increases big time and your shot distances are often much less.

Last edited:
Hello from central Virginia. We're having a very poor acorn crop this year. But I do have a few hardwoods with Hickory trees with lots of activity. Got out Thursday morning for 2 hours. With one of my SxS I just finished putting together. I'll be waiting on muzzleloader deer season now.

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_112146075_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_112146075_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Hello from central Virginia. We're having a very poor acorn crop this year. But I do have a few hardwoods with Hickory trees with lots of activity. Got out Thursday morning for 2 hours. With one of my SxS I just finished putting together. I'll be waiting on muzzleloader deer season now.
Nice Brother, Real nice.
That's what I was hope to post, and eat.
Looks like your SxS is in good shape.
Works just fine.
Best to you on your Muzzleloader Deer hunt.

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred.

Thanks for the honest report, Fred. I have confidence that you and ole Henry will get it done in due time. At least the both of you had a good time.

As I have said a few times now, this style of hunting is a true test of patience, hunting skills, marksmanship, with some luck thrown in on top. Definitely not as easy as many think it is. And indeed, a squirrel way up in the tops of those big ole, tall, hickory and oak trees are a small target for sure, especially with less than favorable light conditions.

Stick with it and you will score. When you do, you will be hooked for life. IMO, it really is that rewarding.

FWIW, until the leaf's have all fallen from the trees, it may be best to leave Henry at home and focus on sneaking around very slowly through the woods. I would reckon a high percentage of my squirrel kills with my Crockett rifle was done in such a fashion. If they don't know you're there, your success rate increases big time and your shot distances are often much less.
Yes Ed, I will get this whole PRB hunting, it's new to me, I love it. The challenge, the discipline, the marksmanship, and patience. I want to make good clean ethical kills on anything I hunt, if I don't get anything I still the well spent in the woods.
I will leave Henry home next time. Here in Florida the Hickory trees lose their leaves quickly, Oaks tend drop all winter plus. Wife and use to go out with my shot gun on the Management Areas after general gun just walk slow, stop and sit, we always got a good mess.
This coming weekend I'll be using my .50 caliber GPR with PRBs.
Try sneak some more Squirrel Hunting with the Crockett Rifle also.
Again thanks to all.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Fred

Yes Ed, I will get this whole PRB hunting, it's new to me, I love it. The challenge, the discipline, the marksmanship, and patience. I want to make good clean ethical kills on anything I hunt, if I don't get anything I still the well spent in the woods.
I will leave Henry home next time. Here in Florida the Hickory trees lose their leaves quickly, Oaks tend drop all winter plus. Wife and use to go out with my shot gun on the Management Areas after general gun just walk slow, stop and sit, we always got a good mess.
This coming weekend I'll be using my .50 caliber GPR with PRBs.
Try sneak some more Squirrel Hunting with the Crockett Rifle also.
Again thanks to all.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Fred
So is this weekend deer season there, hogs?

Whatever it is, best of luck to you my friend. Hope you get whatever it is you're after.

I plan on being out in the woods this weekend with my .54 GPR as well. Our two day season will be here. I hope to stay out in the woods all day, both days, until I score.

Two days ago I saw a coyote. Yesterday morning I saw a big bobcat. Today I saw another coyote, but no deer. It rained most of time this morning. Still stayed up in my tree stand. Got pretty wet.

Last edited:
Gave up hunting squirrels and quail many years ago cause my girlfriend (now wifey) found some bird shot in a quail breast. She refused to eat squirrel. And to think her family is from WV and VA!!
My wife won’t eat them anymore. I make pulled squirrel and eat them for lunch. No way I’m gonna stop hunting them.

Updated squirrel report:

Stupid season for squirrels has definitely arrived. Yesterday morning I was up in my tree stand while bow hunting. As with everywhere I go in these parts, I was watching a few squirrels that were out and about doing their fall squirrel thing. I noticed more squirrel activity on the ground than what has been. Saw one squirrel climb a fairly small hickory that was in close proximity to my stand tree, grab a hickory nut and come down rather quickly. Rather than eat it while up in the tree, he grabbed the nut, came down the tree, went a few yards, then proceeded to bury it in the leaves.

That's the first sign of squirrel stupid season.

Second sign.

A mature doe came close to my stand so I let loose. Deer ran off, as most always, except this time it ran up hill (if you can fathom that one) and out of sight due to the tick brush of a big ole blown down tree about 60-70 yards away. Ironically, that was the same downed tree that I had to maneuver around while shooting a few squirrels a couple months ago up in large hickory. I've posted about that hunt in this thread.

I was sure I heard the deer do its death crash. Squirrels all around me went bonkers, as usual, and scattered. Waited a little while (as always) then descended the tree as quietly as possible and proceeded looking for the downed deer. Hobbled a short ways until I lost the track and actually hobbled very close to where the deer was lying. It was hidden by a chunk of that downed tree. In the process I walked up on one squirrel that was on the ground no more than 10 yards in front of me. That squirrel just looked at me and went right back to his business until I got closer. It hopped to the closest tree but was in no hurry whatsoever. Then it momentarily just hung on the side of the tree until I walked up closer. Even then it was in no rush climbing higher. That squirrel simply did not care I was there as long as I didn't get too close.

Hobbled and circled back up hill a bit and located deer. Easy drag out down the mountain but while doing so, and after seeing that squirrel stupid season has arrived, my "want bumps" got to itching to go out next week with my Crockett squirrel rifle. Deer ML season is this weekend so I'll have to see how things goes. Could still use one more deer in the freezer, for now. However, either way I hope to get back out with my Crockett and do some squirrel hunting at least one day next week before I get back to filling the freezer. However, it will need to be in an area where I won't be deer hunting.

So indeed, for this neck of the woods, squirrel stupid season has no doubt arrived. And with that, this is where I most likely would have benefitted had I practiced my offhand shooting with that Crockett rifle, which I'm not very good at.

Last edited:
Updated squirrel report:

Stupid season for squirrels has definitely arrived. Yesterday morning I was up in my tree stand while bow hunting. As with everywhere I go in these parts, I was watching a few squirrels that were out and about doing their fall squirrel thing. I noticed more squirrel activity on the ground than what has been. Saw one squirrel climb a fairly small hickory that was in close proximity to my stand tree, grab a hickory nut and come down rather quickly. Rather than eat it while up in the tree, he grabbed the nut, came down the tree, went a few yards, then proceeded to bury it in the leaves.

That's the first sign of squirrel stupid season.

Second sign.

A mature doe came close to my stand so I let loose. Deer ran off, as most always, except this time it ran up hill (if you can fathom that one) and out of sight due to the tick brush of a big ole blown down tree about 60-70 yards away. Ironically, that was the same downed tree that I had to maneuver around while shooting a few squirrels a couple months ago up in large hickory. I've posted about that hunt in this thread.

I was sure I heard the deer do its death crash. Squirrels all around me went bonkers, as usual, and scattered. Waited a little while (as always) then descended the tree as quietly as possible and proceeded looking for the downed deer. Hobbled a short ways until I lost the track and actually hobbled very close to where the deer was lying. It was hidden by a chunk of that downed tree. In the process I walked up on one squirrel that was on the ground no more than 10 yards in front of me. That squirrel just looked at me and went right back to his business until I got closer. It hopped to the closest tree but was in no hurry whatsoever. Then it momentarily just hung on the side of the tree until I walked up closer. Even then it was in no rush climbing higher. That squirrel simply did not care I was there as long as I didn't get too close.

Hobbled and circled back up hill a bit and located deer. Easy drag out down the mountain but while doing so, and after seeing that squirrel stupid season has arrived, my "want bumps" got to itching to go out next week with my Crockett squirrel rifle. Deer ML season is this weekend so I'll have to see how things goes. Could still use one more deer in the freezer, for now. However, either way I hope to get back out with my Crockett and do some squirrel hunting at least one day next week before I get back to filling the freezer. However, it will need to be in an area where I won't be deer hunting.

So indeed, for this neck of the woods, squirrel stupid season has no doubt arrived. And with that, this is where I most likely would have benefitted had I practiced my offhand shooting with that Crockett rifle, which I'm not very good at.
That’s a good day Ed. I’m not seeing many on the ground yet. I wish these leaves would get down.
I’ve hunted the last three mornings and it’s hard to get a shot even though I’m seeing a lot.

Rainy next two days so I’ll be a taxidermist again. Next Tuesday is going to be a perfect weather day. I’m going to take the whole day off and enjoy a whole day in the squirrel woods.

Made some pulled squirrel last night. 15 minutes in the pressure cooker, take meat off bones and add bbq sauce. My favorite way to eat them.

And congrats on getting the freezer filled!

That’s a good day Ed. I’m not seeing many on the ground yet. I wish these leaves would get down.
I’ve hunted the last three mornings and it’s hard to get a shot even though I’m seeing a lot.

Rainy next two days so I’ll be a taxidermist again. Next Tuesday is going to be a perfect weather day. I’m going to take the whole day off and enjoy a whole day in the squirrel woods.

Made some pulled squirrel last night. 15 minutes in the pressure cooker, take meat off bones and add bbq sauce. My favorite way to eat them.

And congrats on getting the freezer filled!
Hopefully you will score next week. Let us know.

I actually used to do real well squirrel hunting during the winter time when there was a light rain. Haven't done that in many years now. Not sure if I want to try it with my Crockett rifle but I might do so just to see. Last week when it was raining I did see a few squirrels out and about but nothing like during the winter months.

The key is light rain and/or misty conditions, not hard rain.

This has really been an odd season for me so far. Just been way too warm and had been waiting for a part for my lock which got lost in the mail. Finally got it together and it's been cooling off this week. Got out Thursday evening for a bit. Wasn't much activity at all. Saw one squirrel about dusk and missed it at about 30 yards. Got home Friday evening and the sky was getting real dark. Rained a bit but I decided to go out anyway. The rain held off with maybe a slight shower here and there. Went into the same woods as the evening before and immediately heard chatter and activity in the tree tops. Alot of good oak and hickory where I hunt. Tried stalking a couple but just couldn't find them. Leaves are still thick and the lighting was poor. Anyway, I caught one on the ground around 5:30. She was down the side of the ridge so I took a kneeling shot at 30 long paces. The lock was fast and I connected. One is enough for me with some gravy and biscuits which I made up last night.
20231020_175933.jpg

Well guys, I just had to do it. Seeing all those squirrels everywhere in the woods while I’ve been bow hunting finally got the best of me. And like ole Popeye the sailor man use to say “I took all I can stands and I can’t stands no more”.

So, this evening I decided to get out my Crockett squirrel rifle and go out back and down the hill for a short squirrel hunt. Wowser, was it nice to get back out there hunting bushy tails Again.

Only got three before it was about dark. Well, actually I shot another one out of the top of a big hickory, it hung there momentarily, then fell about 40 feet with a "thud". Continued hunting and when I went back there to retrieve it, I couldn't find it. I'm sure it was laying there somewhere.

Now that I got my fix, tomorrow it’s back to bow hunting deer to finish filling the freezers.

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A little more on this hunt.

The first squirrel I got off the ground. I had no idea a squirrel was in that area, but it looked good. So I walked over there and sat down next to a tree. I reckon I had been sitting there about 10 minutes before I got that first squirrel.

Trying to get the second one was interesting. I saw 4 total over a bit farther. It was apparent right away that they were young squirrels. Often times it can be difficult deciphering how big a squirrel is (at least for me it can be) but the dead give away was how they were acting. I've found that young squirrels will like to stay close by whatever tree(s) they were either raised in, or close to it and run around like crazy, back and forth.

With that, I counted 4 total, mostly playing on the ground and/or near some old logs with holes in them. The problem was, the woods was pretty open in that location. Being smaller targets as young squirrels are, that meant I needed to close the distance even more between us. There were very few trees between me and them, and what few there was, was small diameter. There was some brush, but not much. But it didn't matter. It had to be if I wanted a chance at those young squirrels. Thus, I decided to try something I have never done before.

So the very slow motion stalk was on. Knowing there was, most of the time, at least 3 sets of eyeballs on the lookout called for paying attention. For the longest time I would wait until most of them were busy on the ground digging around in the leaves for whatever they were after, then I would make my very slow motion move. The real issue was, however, the fresh leaves that have been falling are very dry right now, thus very noisy. Also, as much as those little fellas blended in, it was difficult to keep track of all 4 of them to ascertain they were amused by whatever they were after. Sometimes, a couple of them would chase each other around and around, up and down a tree. That's another good time to make a move but only when they are on the opposite side of a tree, or way up yonder.

Finally, and after being able to make it to a couple of smaller diameter trees to take a rest off of, I thought I had a shot about 4-7 times. But, as luck would have it, the squirrels would move before I could get it done. Then, lo and behold, one finally went part way up the side of a tree and stopped. Getting a rest and in a fairly quick fashion, I let er fly. I looked at my watch and I had been on that sneak attack for 1 1/2 hours for that one young squirrel. The others scattered so I slowly walked over and tied my second squirrel on my stringer.

After reloading, I stood still for a few minutes and I heard a squirrel barking up the hill. I honed in on the approximate tree and slowly worked my way up to that one. However, by the time I got up there, I had been spotted. Things got real quiet after that for a while so I simply parked my skinny behind next to a tree in that area and waited. After about 30 minutes or so I noticed a squirrel (most likely the one that was doing the barking) move way up in a hickory. I was fortunate that this time I was uphill from the tree. So I waited for the right shot until I "thought" I had it. About the time I got my Crockett up against a small cherry tree for a rest, the squirrel moved up higher, grabbed a hickory nut, then came back down a ways and parked on a limb as he chewed on the hickory nut. I could see some of the squirrel but not sure what part it was due to the leaves. Knowing I had a good, steady rest, on about the proper upwards angle, I centered the peep and front bead on where I thought most of the squirrels body was, then fired. Down he came and hit with a "thud". I reloaded again and waited for about 15 minutes until I was running out of daylight. Walked over and found my squirrel. Of all things, I had hit that squirrel in the head. I seldom hit a squirrel in the head even when I try. With my old eyes, its all I can do anymore just to see the darn things good enough to aim for the biggest part of the body I can see.

So, yeah, kind of a neat short squirrel evening hunt. One thing is for sure. That was, without doubt, the longest and most challenging, out in the open, stalk I have ever attempted on 4 squirrels at the same time.

Also, its simply so darn rewarding to put the sneak on a squirrel and drop with a single RB and black powder, out of the top of a big ole tree, and seeing it fall like it should. Nothing like it IMO.

Last edited:
A little more on this hunt.

The first squirrel I got off the ground. I had no idea a squirrel was in that area, but it looked good. So I walked over there and sat down next to a tree. I reckon I had been sitting there about 10 minutes before I got that first squirrel.

Trying to get the second one was interesting. I saw 4 total over a bit farther. It was apparent right away that they were young squirrels. Often times it can be difficult deciphering how big a squirrel is (at least for me it can be) but the dead give away was how they were acting. I've found that young squirrels will like to stay close by whatever tree(s) they were either raised in, or close to it and run around like crazy, back and forth.

With that, I counted 4 total, mostly playing on the ground and/or near some old logs with holes in them. The problem was, the woods was pretty open in that location. Being smaller targets as young squirrels are, that meant I needed to close the distance even more between us. There were very few trees between me and them, and what few there was, was small diameter. There was some brush, but not much. But it didn't matter. It had to be if I wanted a chance at those young squirrels. Thus, I decided to try something I have never done before.

So the very slow motion stalk was on. Knowing there was, most of the time, at least 3 sets of eyeballs on the lookout called for paying attention. For the longest time I would wait until most of them were busy on the ground digging around in the leaves for whatever they were after, then I would make my very slow motion move. The real issue was, however, the fresh leaves that have been falling are very dry right now, thus very noisy. Also, as much as those little fellas blended in, it was difficult to keep track of all 4 of them to ascertain they were amused by whatever they were after. Sometimes, a couple of them would chase each other around and around, up and down a tree. That's another good time to make a move but only when they are on the opposite side of a tree, or way up yonder.

Finally, and after being able to make it to a couple of smaller diameter trees to take a rest off of, I thought I had a shot about 4-7 times. But, as luck would have it, the squirrels would move before I could get it done. Then, lo and behold, one finally went part way up the side of a tree and stopped. Getting a rest and in a fairly quick fashion, I let er fly. I looked at my watch and I had been on that sneak attack for 1 1/2 hours for that one young squirrel. The others scattered so I slowly walked over and tied my second squirrel on my stringer.

After reloading, I stood still for a few minutes and I heard a squirrel barking up the hill. I honed in on the approximate tree and slowly worked my way up to that one. However, by the time I got up there, I had been spotted. Things got real quiet after that for a while so I simply parked my skinny behind next to a tree in that area and waited. After about 30 minutes or so I noticed a squirrel (most likely the one that was doing the barking) move way up in a hickory. I was fortunate that this time I was uphill from the tree. So I waited for the right shot until I "thought" I had it. About the time I got my Crockett up against a small cherry tree for a rest, the squirrel moved up higher, grabbed a hickory nut, then came back down a ways and parked on a limb as he chewed on the hickory nut. I could see some of the squirrel but not sure what part it was due to the leaves. Knowing I had a good, steady rest, on about the proper upwards angle, I centered the peep and front bead on where I thought most of the squirrels body was, then fired. Down he came and hit with a "thud". I reloaded again and waited for about 15 minutes until I was running out of daylight. Walked over and found my squirrel. Of all things, I had hit that squirrel in the head. I seldom hit a squirrel in the head even when I try. With my old eyes, its all I can do anymore just to see the darn things good enough to aim for the biggest part of the body I can see.

So, yeah, kind of a neat short squirrel evening squirrel hunt. One thing is for sure. That was, without doubt, the longest and most challenging, out in the open, stalk I have ever attempted on 4 squirrels at the same time.

Also, its simply so darn rewarding to put the sneak on a squirrel and drop with a single RB and black powder, out of the top of a big ole tree, and seeing it fall like it should. Nothing like it IMO.
Good report. I spent yesterday afternoon building a new deer blind and took my little .36 with me just in case. Ended up being surrounded by squirrels right before dark but, by then, was wore out so just sit in the blind and watched them. Good to know for when I do go after them.

Attachments

• IMG_20231023_173140440.jpg
    IMG_20231023_173140440.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Good report. I spent yesterday afternoon building a new deer blind and took my little .36 with me just in case. Ended up being surrounded by squirrels right before dark but, by then, was wore out so just sit in the blind and watched them. Good to know for when I do go after them.
That's a nice looking little ML.

Indeed, it has been years (if ever actually) that I have went out for an evening squirrel hunt. Honestly, I do not remember ever doing so. But all I can say is, for this part of the country and for this particular time of year, the squirrels are definitely out and about before dark.

Also, even though it is right now what I call "squirrel stupid season", some are still on alert. However, overall, most are now spending a lot of time on the ground after fallen nut crops and/or burying them in prep for winter, thus making it much easier to sneak up on them. Just have to wait until their heads are down and then move in super slow motion.

Tim, I understand what you mean when you stated that it was late in the day and you didn't want to mess with the squirrels due to being worn out. I got a dose of reality when I got back right at dark. After an already long day, the last thing I wanted to be doing is cleaning my ML and then cleaning squirrels.

Back