• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st time with 3f

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With everything being said, my $0.02 opinion is, use whatever you want, in moderation. I just returned from holiday and while on the road, stopped by NMLRA headquarters in Friendship, Ind. and bought some FFFg. Goex and Schutzen. It should last me until the end of my time above ground. FFFg in all my rifles and handguns, FFg for my smoothbore.

I just ordered 10lbs of 3f last night. It should keep me shooting for a while.

I say the best thing for any shooter is to have a selection of powder. I've tried 1Fg, 1 1/2 Fg, 2Fg, 3Fg, and 4Fg, mainly in Goex Red or OE, although I've tried Swiss and Shutzen, as well as most blackpowder substitutes.

Everyone has their preference. I always end up coming back to 1 Fg, and that is mostly what I've bought the past few years. They all work. The cleanliness thing is mostly overblown. The finer the powder, the higher the pressure it produces with the same volume. I don't consider 4 Fg dangerous, but 60 grains of 4 Fg is going to produce higher pressure than 100 grains of 1 Fg. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is. The barrels on most of our rifles are thick, and with a PRB, pressure really don't ever get that high. I think the highest test I ever saw was with 3 Fg with a hefty charge, and it was only up around 15,000 PSI. I have equipment to test pressures, but it will not work on an octagon barrel. One of these days I'll test it out on one of my round barrel shotguns.

I have about 10 lbs of 3F and can do just fine without any 4F/2F, but I simply prefer 4F for the pan when I have it. I do hear a lot of complaints alluding to 4F drawing moisture too readily. I've used 4F in the pan a long, long time but never experienced any special problem using it. I've hunted in downpours with pans filled with 4F. But when it's time to unload the flinter and pack up, the pans flash without a hitch and the guns fire perfectly. I will say this, however; IF the gun has been fired and it's humid then the pan fouling will soak up moisture like a sponge. Any powder put in the pan in this case will puddle, and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's 4F, 3F or 2F. This is why I feel it's so important to wipe the pan surfaces, flint and frizzen dry prior to reloading.

After completing a trail walk at a rendezvous a few years ago the bore of my rifle was fouled enough that when I pointed the muzzle toward the ground, black liquid poured out. That day was ultra humid and the air felt thick enough to cut with a knife. I did remember to wipe the pan after each shot. This has been MY experience over the years, and the experience of others may differ markedly.

Back