• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1979 .50cal Hatfield questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to possibly purchase what I believe to be an "early" Hatfield.

It is stamped "FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY" on the barrel, which leads me to think it is a later production and not from the original maker, Hatfield.

One issue with it is that in the pictures I have seen of it, the stock has a crack directly behind the barrel tang on top. Nothing big at this time, but I could see it growing.

stock crack.jpg

153369816.jpg

153369822.jpg

153369843.jpg

153369845.jpg

I find it quite attractive, and I have read about them possibly being muzzle heavy, and a few other negatives, and quite a few positives.

I have done some searches both here and on the web, and it seems that the earlier production was the best by the original makers, and one indication of it being an early Hatfield is the browned barrel?

Bottom line is that I do like it, and I am seriously thinking about the purchase, but need input on the cracked stock, and possible fixes along with value reductions due to the cracking.

It looks to have not been abused, and possibly never fired.
I will be going to look at it in person, but would like to go "armed" with some guidance from you fine gentlemen.

The knowledge here is phenomenal!
Thanks in advance,
Dave

I have a early .45 Hatfield. The position of the crack in the stock is where there is a weak point. The long tang, thru bolt and cross bolt require hogging out considerable wood in the area making it weak. A stout load could be the reason for the crack. If you remove the barrel and lock, I think you will find it is possible to fill the crack with some epoxy on the inside of the mortise. If you decide to purchase, be sure you snug down the thru and cross bolts so there is no play.

It would be nice if the trigger guard were inlet and the buttplate were on straight. The cracks are caused by poor barrel inletting. You'll need to remove a little wood behind the rear of the tang. The barrel had enough space to come back against the wood in that area during recoil and crack the wood. I had a lot of those things come through my shop back in the 80's. Bad locks, leaky breech plugs, you name it. Check to see if there are any cracks in the ram rod channel. If the barrel has moved back that far it's possible the screws that hold the stock to the barrel may have cause quite a bit of stress.

I had one back in the 80's. Love the looks of them and save and save my hard earn money and finally got one. Could never get it to spark worth a darn, One of my happy days was when I brought it, and my second happy day was when I sold it. I would stay away from it.

I have two Hatfields, a .45 Flintlock and a .50 Caplock. Both are good shooters. The flintlock is an excellent sparker. I wouldn't part with either one.

I have a early .45 Hatfield. The position of the crack in the stock is where there is a weak point. The long tang, thru bolt and cross bolt require hogging out considerable wood in the area making it weak. A stout load could be the reason for the crack. If you remove the barrel and lock, I think you will find it is possible to fill the crack with some epoxy on the inside of the mortise. If you decide to purchase, be sure you snug down the thru and cross bolts so there is no play.

Try this

In addition to the epoxy into the crack, you may want to put a little Acraglas bedding compound where the breech rests agains the stock. This will stabilize the wood there and keep any shrinkage from allowing a minscule gap and thus abrupt backward movement when shooting, The tip of the tang can act as a chisel, and/or the tang-bolt can cause stress on the wood from a sudden but tiny movement. Bedding would also displace the recoil over a larger area thus dampening the effect. Of course thoroughly read the directions for the bedding of the breech, to avoid gluing the barrel to the stock.

LD

I would first apply some thin cyanoacrylate (super glue) CA to the crack to get some glue into the crack. Then it would be time to use the Accra glass epoxy bedding for additional strength.

Thanks everyone, this Hatfield is at a local auction that I may or may not attend tomorrow depending on where the value for this rifle in this condition stands.

Any input on the value, as is, so I do not make a mistake "in the heat of the moment"?

I'd just pass it by at any money considering the past problems I have seen in Hatfields over the years.

I am leaning in that direction.

The pre bidding has stalled at $35.00 online, and I just may watch that to see what happens, and go a bit further.
Only 10.5 hours to go.

Estimate is $400 to $500, and with that crack, I cannot see it getting anywhere close to that.

Heheh, it must have $35 worth of parts eh?

Hatfields generally sell in the $700-800 range depending on condition and the quality of the wood used to stock the gun. My Hatfield has a gorgeous birdseye maple P+++ stock with a honey brown finish. I am sometimes reluctant to take the gun to the range to shoot as the stock is just beautiful. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people do not like all the wood grain figure.

I remember back in the day that Hatfield made some pretty good guns. never shot one but had two friends that had them and they really liked them. Both flint guns and both worked quite well. I cant say much about this rifle. I would like to have it in hand to examine the crack and the fitting of the breech into the stock. As was mentioned, the crack could be the result of a poor fit between breech and stock which can be repaired fairly easily. I would like to see better picture(s) of the breech area.

Have you checked the prices for Hatfields sold on other online auctions ?

JMHO

I remember back in the day that Hatfield made some pretty good guns. never shot one but had two friends that had them and they really liked them. Both flint guns and both worked quite well. I cant say much about this rifle. I would like to have it in hand to examine the crack and the fitting of the breech into the stock. As was mentioned, the crack could be the result of a poor fit between breech and stock which can be repaired fairly easily. I would like to see better picture(s) of the breech area.

Have you checked the prices for Hatfields sold on other online auctions ?

JMHO

I have checked on several previous sales, and for pristine, new condition, they have sold for in the $500 range and up to $1200 or so.
I guess it depends on the day, and like all other auctions, who wants it and how badly.

This one is starting to grow on me more daily, and would be an excellent companion to my Crockett.
Something about the shape of the stock draws my eye.

If I should purchase this particular one, I think I may have it "professionally" repaired.... I like it that much.

Latest posts

Back