• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1868 trapdoor springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidLeadSlug

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hoping I'm close enough to to a muzzloader related to keep within the rules, but it's a conversion of a muzzloader so...

I have a springfield conversion of a rifled musket to 50-70 that needs a new receiver since the orginal is damaged and unsafe to fire. I wanted to hear from someone here if they have experience removing receivers from trapdoors and how I should go about it. I have a replacement so far but I cannot find a local gunsmith that's willing to help me. Would love to hear from someone!

I am pretty sure this thread will be locked down, but here it goes. I brought a 1873 Springfield to a "gunsmith" to change the barrel decades ago. I asked if they wanted me to strip the receiver first - no was the reply... "we know what we're doing" was the answer. When I got the gun back I found the receiver pivot screw was snapped in half and the extractor & extractor spring was broken also. They had attempted to un-screw the barrel without removing any parts first! If you want it done right make sure they have done it before & strip all the parts from the receiver yourself.

been there, done that, got screw'd in the end, Mike

I'll bet @Phil Coffins could at least give some advice.

You might also look up the Shiloh Sharps Forum. They don't just talk about Sharps. Possibly a call to C. Sharps would be another thing to try. I believe they do some general gunsmithing on blackpowder cartridge guns, but I'm not certain of that.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Years ago Dixie sold those long nose receivers, cheap. Maybe call them and see if they have any left.

Is it a model 1866 or model 1868? The 1866 (second Allin conversion) is the only one that was both a .50 and also a muzzleloader conversion like you describe.

An 1866 will have two flathead screws in the nose of the receiver, on top of the barrel. If that's the case, the "receiver" is fitted over top of the original muzzleloader barrel, and a portion of the barrel cut away for the trapdoor.

If it's an 1868 model, it was technically a new made rifle (even though they used a lot of leftover parts from previous models). The 1868 has a barrel that threads into the receiver.

I haven't personally rebarreled either, but the way they're constructed, you're looking at two VERY different jobs.

Hoping I'm close enough to to a muzzloader related to keep within the rules, but it's a conversion of a muzzloader so...

I have a springfield conversion of a rifled musket to 50-70 that needs a new receiver since the orginal is damaged and unsafe to fire. I wanted to hear from someone here if they have experience removing receivers from trapdoors and how I should go about it. I have a replacement so far but I cannot find a local gunsmith that's willing to help me. Would love to hear from someone!
Our cutoff date is 1865, and anything breechloading must have an ignition source outside of the cartridge itself. The trapdoor Springfield was officially their 1866 model, and was issued out first, in 1867.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back