Quantcast

1863 IAB cavalry sight change?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Elkhorse

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there an alternative to the tiny front ànd rear ladder sights on my .54 cavalry carbine?
I don't shoot long distance always under 75yds.
Thanks

rmark

36 Cal.
Reaction score
If you are having trouble seeing the sights you might try an EyePal stick on disc on your shooting glasses. Your mid-barrel rear sight should be about pistol distance I'd guess. Also you might try safety glasses with just .5 adjustment to enhance the rear sight without blurring out the target. Otherwise I think a vernier tang sight is your next choice.

I'm about to turn 60 and have noticed my rifle sights are getting less defined - I blame the gun manufacturers :)

Elkhorse

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks
That's the deal I can't see the front sight well.
My TC Hawken is still perfect, large front and rear.
Need larger sights, preferable bolt on.

rmark

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A piece of black electrical tape with a pin hole is pretty similar to the EyePal disc.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there an alternative to the tiny front ànd rear ladder sights on my .54 cavalry carbine?
I don't shoot long distance always under 75yds.
Thanks
Maybe mount a Lyman bead up front and then a tang mounted vernier sight in place of the rear which would be removed. You don’t need to shoot long ranges to realize the benefits of the peep sight.

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have two of them and changed both front and rear.

Elkhorse

32 Cal
Reaction score
Maybe mount a Lyman bead up front and then a tang mounted vernier sight in place of the rear which would be removed. You don’t need to shoot long ranges to realize the benefits of the peep sight.
Thanks

rmark

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I use this, the plain version, it sharpens up the front sight on my Volunteer rifle.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I use this, the plain version, it sharpens up the front sight on my Volunteer rifle.

Lots of people like those but the sharps sights are in a league all their own...

Latest posts