• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 Tower Enfield Preservation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1862TOWER

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This Rifle was given to me by my cousin a little over a year ago, Our great great grandfather who served with the 18th Iowa came into possesion of it at the battle of Jenkins Ferry. As of now I have cleaned the bore which turned out better than I thought it would but not as good as I hoped it would. Since this is a presservation rather than a restoration, I am only cleaning the bore and trigger/lock mechanisims. The stock is receiving generous coats of boiled linseed oil but all other parts will be left as they are.
Here are some of the markings I have found, other than the markings on the lock, many of the others have proven difficult to read or research.
Once I have everything back together I will post some photos. J.W.

en8.jpg

en7.jpg

en6.jpg

en5.jpg

en4.jpg

en3.jpg

en2.jpg

en1.jpg

en9.jpg

Very interesting Piece..May want to research the barrel and stock makers...Can't wait to see the rifle re assembled...

J.W.Reese said:
This Rifle was given to me by my cousin a little over a year ago, Our great great grandfather who served with the 18th Iowa came into possesion of it at the battle of Jenkins Ferry. As of now I have cleaned the bore which turned out better than I thought it would but not as good as I hoped it would. Since this is a presservation rather than a restoration, I am only cleaning the bore and trigger/lock mechanisims. The stock is receiving generous coats of boiled linseed oil but all other parts will be left as they are.
Here are some of the markings I have found, other than the markings on the lock, many of the others have proven difficult to read or research.
Once I have everything back together I will post some photos. J.W.

en8.jpg

en7.jpg

en6.jpg

en5.jpg

en4.jpg

en3.jpg

en2.jpg

en1.jpg

en9.jpg

I HATE LINSEED OIL as you buy it from your local hardware store especially as pertains to antique guns.I have seen an old time recipe using linseed oil with boiled linseed oil,turpentine,and vinegar in equal parts and have used it occasionally.Boiled linseed oil takes forever to dry,draws dust like a magnet,and darkens the wood,This is why museums don't use it anymore. To cite two examples:

French fusil Ca.1720's in barn condition.I wiped it with a damp rag and began hand rubbing it and on occasion when I had a narrow area I used nose grease. Both the hands and nose bridge contain lanolin and as one might suspect this process will take some time.Just rub as though you are fondling your wife,or favorite hound dog or both.What you are doing is to restore to some degree the natural patina created by the prolonged handling of the gun.A little tip here and one that I look at when considering the authenticity 0f a gun is to hold the gun up to the shoulder and check the areas {wrist and forestock just foward of the lock and side plate panels}Here more rubbing will {to some degree}create the extra wear and patina one normally sees.I have NEVER touched this gun with linseed,tung,Formsby,or other products of that ilk and the gun is really showing its age [280 years /-}

Civil War gun: probably in battlefield condition:Wipe gently with soft rag AND LEAVE ALONE.I once had U.S.1863 Springfield with a lot of surface rust and deep rust on the heel of the butt.The rear leaf sight wasfrozen. I diassembled the gun and used some oil free 0000 steel wool on the surface rust and sight.I got the rust and freed the sight but the deep heel rust was too far gone.

Antique guns should be left as near original/as found condition as possible.To "refinish" old guns is a pitfall into which novice owners often fall. Refinishing can and usually does diminish the value. I recently saw a fine piece of country furniture sold at auction in the 4 figures. It was sold in "as found with" original finish. Had it been refinished or had oil applied it would have brought substantially less.This is especially true in antique guns where the amount of refinishing/restoration is less allowable than in other items such as furniture.
Good luck
Tom Patton

Addendum: I forgot to mention that when faced with surface rust as on the 1863 Springfield I used lemon juice since I have found that lemon juice {reconstituted lemon juice found in the grocery store or the wife's refrigerator} will remove most rust unless it is pitted. This was the case on the 1863 Springfield.I used to carry a small bottle to reenactments to take care of morning rust on guns in or out of the tent. It won't affect patina.Better woodworking suppliers carry oil free steel wool.

As always experiment in doing this type of work
Good luck
Tom Patton

Here it is re-assembled, It is missing the nipple, rings for the sling and the rear sight, this is how I received it. The only parts I plan to add are a nipple and the rings for the sling. Interestingly, the rear sight is missing and grooves have been filed into the tops of the barrel bands to sight down the barrel. I have seen one other Enfield that this had been done to. I also came accross a reunion photo of the 18th Iowa Infantry, My great great grandfather and his wife are at the top center of the photo in the doorway to the courthouse. J.W.

r2.jpg

18th.jpg

Hi J.W. As family heirlooms go, it doesn't get any better than this. In a way, this gun really can talk. :haha: There were so many of these Enfields made you can probably search and find the "original" parts you're looking for - even a rear sight if desired. Great story. Thanks for Posting. Rick. :thumbsup:

ricky said:
Hi J.W. As family heirlooms go, it doesn't get any better than this. In a way, this gun really can talk. :haha: There were so many of these Enfields made you can probably search and find the "original" parts you're looking for - even a rear sight if desired. Great story. Thanks for Posting. Rick. :thumbsup:

Hi folks;
That was a helluva fine article on restorations performed on antique guns and I was especially impressed by the pictures on the Katrina guns.I will print a copy for my files and future reference. If I had one that had suffered similar depredations I would want those folks to work on it but I am not as well equipped as them.I just do the best I can and was happy to share some of my experiences herein. The fact is that most old guns are in the shape as our subject gun here.

Another consideration is the question of the ultimate future of any old gun.That is where value inescapably rears its head. Serious collectors and dealers prefer even demand original "as found" condition.I have seen high dollar guns lose up to 50% or more of value by inept, misguided, and well meaning owners' efforts to "restore" an old gun.I have heard of a very rare Confederate carbine with a frozen cock and a stock covered with some slopped on varnish{?}.That gun should be left alone unless perhaps it had a strong family provenance which was in that situation was probably not the case.

As to the replacement of missing parts, original parts even for Enfields are hard to find although modern replacements can be used until correct antique parts can be found although I would be inclined to leave the gun in "last used" condition.The removal of the rear sight and a replacement filed in is a typical and often found depredation which could have even occurred during its Civil War usage.I have seen similar treatments on 18th century guns.
As always I welcome responsible opposing comments.
Good luck and enjoy a part of our history.
Tom Patton

Okwaho said:
ricky said:

Hi folks;
That was a helluva fine article on restorations performed on antique guns and I was especially impressed by the pictures on the Katrina guns.I will print a copy for my files and future reference. If I had one that had suffered similar depredations I would want those folks to work on it but I am not as well equipped as them.I just do the best I can and was happy to share some of my experiences herein. The fact is that most old guns are in the shape as our subject gun here.

Another consideration is the question of the ultimate future of any old gun.That is where value inescapably rears its head. Serious collectors and dealers prefer even demand original "as found" condition.I have seen high dollar guns lose up to 50% or more of value by inept, misguided, and well meaning owners' efforts to "restore" an old gun.I have heard of a very rare Confederate carbine with a frozen cock and a stock covered with some slopped on varnish{?}.That gun should be left alone unless perhaps it had a strong family provenance which was in that situation was probably not the case.

As to the replacement of missing parts, original parts even for Enfields are hard to find although modern replacements can be used until correct antique parts can be found although I would be inclined to leave the gun in "last used" condition.The removal of the rear sight and a replacement filed in is a typical and often found depredation which could have even occurred during its Civil War usage.I have seen similar treatments on 18th century guns.
As always I welcome responsible opposing comments.
Good luck and enjoy a part of our history.
Tom Patton

Very well said Tom. We also need to keep in mind that the subject British P53 Rifle Musket was not an interchangeable gun (only the products of Enfield Lock and the London Armory were interchangeable)and it will be very hard to find replacement parts that are "drop in" replacements, this includes the rear sight which will have to be soldered on anyway. That will destroy the patina of the barrel so it is probably best to do without. An original percussion cone can be found with a little searching so that part will be easy enough to find. Beyond that it may be best to leave it as last used.

Of course, Tom and Va are correct. I was speaking somewhat off the cuff. In the case of this P53 I believe the operative word is Conservation vs Restoration. As much as necessary, and as little as possible. Maybe adding an original nipple (assuming the threaded area in the bolster is not too far gone), or replacing a broken internal spring with an original, won't really "alter" the gun to any degree. But yes, having to solder a rear sight, or other such ideas that would significantly "alter" the guns last known condition should be avoided.
It's great that the original ramrod is still with the gun. Often these are missing. Seldom do we see an old gun with a known past. Congratulations. Again, thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back