• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield hammer adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsoldat44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening. I want to see if anyone knows how to adjust the hammer positions. I have an older Armi Sport made 1861 Springfield, and the half-cock and full cock are very low. The half-cock sits right above the nipple. I know it can be adjusted but I haven’t had any luck so far. Thanks!

If it sits high enough at half cock that it's not ouching with a cap on then you should be OK. Does it fire every time on full cock? If so it might be a case of "if it ain't broke......"

Good evening. I want to see if anyone knows how to adjust the hammer positions. I have an older Armi Sport made 1861 Springfield, and the half-cock and full cock are very low. The half-cock sits right above the nipple. I know it can be adjusted but I haven’t had any luck so far. Thanks!
There is no adjustment. Since you're in NC, why not bring it by the Recruit Skirmish we're holding at Statesville on 3/9? We shoot these in competition and can give you some idea of what you might need to do.

I, too, have an ArmiSport '61. Just for comparison, the leading edge of the hammer is 3/8" from the tip of the nipple at half cock. At full cock it's 1 1/8" from the nipple. How does that compare to yours? I've had mine for around 20 years and it fires off caps just fine.

I, too, have an ArmiSport '61. Just for comparison, the leading edge of the hammer is 3/8" from the tip of the nipple at half cock. At full cock it's 1 1/8" from the nipple. How does that compare to yours? I've had mine for around 20 years and it fires off caps just fine.
I will measure it when I get home. I think it is about 1/4” from the nipple at halfcock. Big issue I find is it is hard to get a percussion cap on, I end up have to use the full cock which I don’t like. But it works for range shooting.

Thanks everyone else who provided feedback. Definitely helps!

Respectfully,
Alan

I will measure it when I get home. I think it is about 1/4” from the nipple at halfcock. Big issue I find is it is hard to get a percussion cap on, I end up have to use the full cock which I don’t like. But it works for range shooting.

Thanks everyone else who provided feedback. Definitely helps!

Respectfully,
Alan
I have had several cap locks but not military style. I don't ever recall being able to load a cap without going to full cock. If not shooting right away I gently lower it to half cock. Never considered it a problem.

MY Armi Sport 1861 is 5/8" at half and 1 1/8" at full.

I just run it at full cock. Ground the butt, load, bring up to the waist and bring hammer back briskly to full cock, strip off the spent cap, seat a cap, shoulder, aim and fire. If not immediately going to shoot, I remove the cap. The half cock doesn't come into use for me.

I think the very low half cock is to prevent the cap from coming off the nipple.

Latest posts

Back