• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Hollis and Sheath percussion rifle by John Campbell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about this rifle? I have attached pictures. It is believed to be a competition rifle presented by John Campbell. Thank you.
Hollis and Sheath right side.jpeg
Hollis and Sheath left side with cleaning rod.jpeg
Barrel muzzle stamped with 14.jpeg
Hammer assembly top view.jpeg
Hammer assembly side view.jpeg
Rear peep sight by Redfield - side view.jpeg
Underside of barrel stamped with JC 1860.jpeg
Barrel breech top plate engraving - London fine xxx.jpeg
Front peep sight by Lyman.jpeg
Trigger guard - engraved.jpeg

Indeed! I was most taken with it after discovering Dad had it tucked up high on a wall that I hadn't noticed before. He passed this last February and sorting out his stuff has been an adventure. I wish I had known so I could have learned more about the rifle from him, how he obtained it, and any other history. I hope this group will be able to shed light on it.

It looks very British. Are there proof marks anywhere? Possibly if you remove the barrel from the stock? Also, quite often the pure target rifles wouldn’t have the ramrod pipes and under rib. The sights are modern, the rear sight is a fairly old Lyman adapted to the rifle with a custom made sight plate. Are there any other dovetails on the barrel where a rear sight might have been located?

Looking at the muzzle, I would call the attachment a bullet starter that will align a bullet to the bore. I do not see the big protrusion that is prevalent on most false muzzles. A false muzzle will have indexing pins to align the land of the false muzzle with the lands of the barrel. Yes, the bullet starter or false muzzle has to be removed before firing or it can be shot off and lost.

Hollis & Sheath - British (also look up Issac Hollis history).
The round barrel is typical of sporting smoothbores of the period for Brits, probably sleeved/lined to a rifle. (Any visible rear dovetail blank?).
Ramrod thimbles also appear much larger than existing ramrod.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Now its hideous ,Was fine before some ones lined it and ruined the gun with 20th c sights .Vandalism done to a good old gun. that what it is NO excuse... Beautifull !? Tusch !NO excuse high class bubba ing thats all it is . Rudyard's view
Yes ........ but!

Those sights can come off!

Edit
Rudyard is correct it is hideous... I will pay for shipping to my address.

Last edited:
Hideous is in the eye of the beholder - clearly someone has taken an old M/L Shogun (rather nice) and sleeved a rifle barrel into it (obvious in the muzzle pic) -with a Lyman front tunnel and a Redfield rear aperture. If it shoots I could certainly live with 'hideous'- sorry Rudyard I was contemplating doing this with a Colley that I have - perhaps I won't now!! I certainly don't 'need' another rifle at the moment.

Back