• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt vs. 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which?

• 1858 Remington

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • 1860 Colt

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters
Be warned going down this rabbit hole lol. I started just a year and a half ago with a pietta Remmy I now have a steel bodied NMA a Brasser NMA and an 1851 Colt and have been eyeing the 1860 as my next buy. Like others have said you can never stop at just one. Enjoy
There just like the old Lays Potato Chip commercials. Bet you can’t eat just one.

Go with the Remington first. The sights are much better than the Colt.
Also the Remington will usually shoot low, so you just need to file the front sight down a little.....the Colts often shoot crazy high, which is much harder to remedy.

But no matter....if you like your first Cap&Ball, you'll need one of each.

Edit....No annoying cap-jams with the the Remington either.

Last edited:
I have 3 colts and 2 remingtons. I like the colts best for the fact they look way cooler. My newest is the 51 navy colt by pietta. Shoots great, best trigger pull out of the box I could ask for. 2 pairs touching and the flyer I called second time out. 15 grains and some cornmeal. I have a mini colt sherrif and its been used, bought right here. I will be sending for goonerization within a few weeks so I must really like it. Gonna pay what i paid for the pistol for a rework. But I like the Remingtons. As per above you'll have both soon anyway.

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20230604_180741.jpg
    TimePhoto_20230604_180741.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Which do you think would make the better choice for me as my first cap and ball revolver?
Nobody can answer your pole with one or the other.
It's your hand, your palm,, get the one that feels best for you.
Go to a store, touch them both, lift and feel them both, in your hand.
Honestly for me(?) they both suck, I like the 51`.
There have been bastard 44 cal 1851's available for decades, caliber is not the issue unless your going for historically correct,, it's the fit and feel in your hand that matters..

Last edited:
I'm eyeballing a cap and ball revolver as my next muzzle loading pistol. Top of my list are the "Army" revolvers used in the Civil War. The two main choices I'm considering are the reproductions of the Remington 1858 and the Colt 1860 44 cal revolvers. There appear to be some significant differences leading to similar functionality. Which do you think would make the better choice for me as my first cap and ball revolver? And why? And which manufacturer? Thanks ...
That's a tough question. I have them both. May I suggest flip a coin, then put it in your pocket and buy one of each. Which ever way you decide I believe you will like it.

But my all time favorite of all BP revolvers is the 1851 Colt Navy.
You're reading my mind?
I was leaning toward the Remington because of its closed frame, sights and hammer. I haven't had a chance to handle a Remington in the store, and I have handled a Colt. Comparing the Colt to some of the others they had (at Cabela's) the Colt just leaped out as well-suited to my hand. So .... now, I'm thinking, maybe what I really need is the 1851 Colt Navy AND the 1858 Remington Army. Hah!! Plus, I'd have one for each service. Service sidearms is one of my collecting motifs.

Question about "cap sucking" (?? if I remember the term right) tendency of the Colt due to the notch in the hammer: is it more or less with #11 caps or #10 caps or no difference?

I have both, The Remington ,IMO is a much stronger revolver, changinging cylinders is much easier and the sights are better. IMO the 1860 Colt is a better looking revolver. The sights are less accurate, the rear being in the hamer, and changing cylinders are out of the question, to time connsuming and not practical
I like the Uberti guns, Pietta has improved there line, and I also have ASM all have been functional
As an aside, Remington ifor their 1863 Navy revolver milled out the loading lever so it was un-necessary to lower the lever to change the cylinder. The problem, with age the pin became loose and the cylinder could fall out when drawing from a holster

I have both and they are great. buy an uberti they cost more but are much better quality. I just got the uberti 1860 army with full fluted cylinders and it shoots more accurately than the remington. In the remington I like the uberti sheriff model with the shorter barrel. I have pietta 1858 new model army full size pistols and they work fine but I still like the uberti better.When you have the 44 cal. pistols try the colt 36 cal. pistols. I have the 1851 navy it is a classic and I also have the 1862 pocket models, both the pocket police and the pocket navy. When you have all those then you have to get the 1849 pocket pistol in 31 cal. If you really like the big 44s then you need a dragoon but I find them way to heavy unless you have a horse to carry them on.

You don't need both. Go with the Colt Army. You'll be holding and shooting a sidearm representing the culmination of military and firearm manufacturing history. From the Paterson to the Walker, Dragoon, 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, Colt SAA, to the M1911.

If you buy two, buy another model Colt for an expanded historical experience.

I'm eyeballing a cap and ball revolver as my next muzzle loading pistol. Top of my list are the "Army" revolvers used in the Civil War. The two main choices I'm considering are the reproductions of the Remington 1858 and the Colt 1860 44 cal revolvers. There appear to be some significant differences leading to similar functionality. Which do you think would make the better choice for me as my first cap and ball revolver? And why? And which manufacturer? Thanks ...
Get what feels best in your hand. Everyone's hands are different so grips and balance is different with various models. For a first cap and ball pistol an 1858 is a good choice just for ease of use. Easier to load and clean. Good choice if only going to buy one. I prefer the 1860. I like the feel of the Colt style pistols and with big hands and the 1860 fits me well. The looks of the Colt style pistols also appeals to me more than the the Remington.

Last edited:
Back