• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodforshort

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Trying to ID a Colt that a friend just got. No manufacturer's name, but "Made in Belgium" stamped on bottom of grip frame. It's very well made and has matching serial numbers on the bottom of the barrel, frame, and grip frame. The frame, hammer, and loading lever are case hardened (nicely colored). One of the proof marks on the barrel looks like a capitol U, but it's not like proofs that I've seen on a couple Ubertis that I looked at. There's also one that looks like a crown. Anybody know what this piece might be?

Does it have a prancing horse on the side of the frame? Could be a Centaure. Pictures would be helpful. The 'crown' is a proof mark.

Positive I.D.s are a little tough with Belgium made guns. A large "U" can either be part of the final inspection stamp or one of the inspectors, the Liege shops used capital letters with some inspectors stamps and "U" was one of them. When the first rebirth of the muzzleloading phenomenon got gong back in the late 50's & early 60's companies like Navy Arms, Centennial Arms & Intercontinental Arms reached out to anyone willing to make the replicas they were beginning to import and either sell themselves or send out to retailers like Dixie and others. At the time, the manufacturing was fairly split out between Italian and Belgian makers. Intercontinental and Replica Arms leaned a little more toward Belgian makers than the others. Over time, the Italian makers picked up more of the total output being imported into the U.S. Obviously, you friends gun is one of the early ones, good photos or any marks would help a lot. Be sure to check the cylinder closely, the Belgian makers were more prone to putting marks on the rear half surface than on the cylinder front like the Italians. Check all the parts, sometimes marks show up in odd places.

Check out FROCS,the website for the Belgian Colts. Your friend has a somewhat desirable revolver. :thumbsup:

Check www.1960nma.org which is the website of Centaures & FROCS FRiends Of the Centaure Society.
Or send me an email at [email protected] with a few pics and serial number of this Belgian made Colt 1860 pattern pistol.
I will gladly tell you what variant of the Centaure you have.
Long Johns Wolf

Thanks everybody. I found the FROCS site (a good one). My friends piece has a serial number in the 1200's, which I gather means mid-1960's production. It is unfired, in new condition. I advised her not to shoot it until we found out more about it. She's not a collector, she just wants a good shooter, so I'm thinking maybe she should sell it and get a Pietta or Uberti (I'm thinking about parts availability as much as anything). But, I haven't any idea yet what it's worth. Any ballpark guesses? Thanks again for all the help.

S/N in the 1200 range?
Would mean making 1961.
Should be a good shooter but would be more valuable as a collector's piece.
Appreciate pics and S/N per PM to add the pistol to the Centaure & FROCS website www.1960nma.org.
Thanks Long Johns Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back