• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Target Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It arrived right on time. Pietta 1858 Remington target model from EMF (Pietta really, as they own EMF). While the action IS smoother than most Piettas I've seen/owned, it will need some smoothing. Not much, but some. Light machining marks are visible in areas of the trigger guard, but can be buffed out with some compound, so not bad. Timing however seems to be on point, with two distinct clicks for half cock and full, (As apposed to three with Colt models) with absolutely ZERO rubbing from the cylinder stop. The grips are very comfortable size wise, even with my large hands (Which normally contact the rear of the trigger guard with back of middle finger on most), which as you can see do have some room behind the trigger guard. The sights appear to be of good quality steel and the rear of which is fully adjustable, including some meat at the bottom of the rear sight notch for filing to bring groups down if shooting high. A tube of lube was even included in the box, which I am assuming is probably for the rear sight workings. The hammer tension is a bit on the heavy side, but will be remedied by removing material from the spring. Trigger pull is light (Maybe 2lb), smooth and crisp. The grip wood could use a coat of sealant to seal in the stain, which did bleed a bit due to all the packing oil which must be cleaned after unboxing of course. All together, would I suggest purchasing the Target Model? Well, we shall see. Thanks again E.M.F. Company, Inc.

Attachments

• DSC00236.JPG
    DSC00236.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00237.JPG
    DSC00237.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00239.JPG
    DSC00239.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00240.JPG
    DSC00240.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00242.JPG
    DSC00242.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00243.JPG
    DSC00243.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 70
Have two of them. Only adjustment needed was windage and not much at that. Will hit inside 2 inch bull at 25 yards all day.

I've had my pieta .44 1858 target model for a bit now and in the right hands it's one super accurate revolver. have a buddy that can almost put them through the same hole at about 30 ft. I can't duplicate that but am extremely satisfied with the pistol. use 30grns fffg wheel bearing grease over ball.

Mine was fairly accurate from the factory but had under size chamber mouths and a tight spot in the bore under the frame threads. I fire lapped out the bore, re-cut the forcing cone and reamed the chamber mouths to groove diameter. It's more accurate than my ROA now.
In re-cutting the forcing cone, I believe a round ball likes them short and bullets prefer them longer. My opinion is that the ball should stop in the cone about half it's diameter. I have both a 11 and 8 degree cutters and for balls believe the 8 degree the best.

I assume with all that re-working and to use Zonie's word, "frinckling", it is no longer legal for NMLRA sanctioned shoots correct?

Will it pass an NMLRA inspection?

How about if Fleenor???

Disregard, the Target Model is not allowed in "As Issue" matches which are sanctioned.

Latest posts

Back