• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Remington Pietta Sights and Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrowkiller

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to cap and ball, but not new to black powder.

I recently purchased a Remington 1858 revolver by Pietta through Cabelas. I enjoy shooting it, and have finally found an accurate load. The problem is that it prints 5" low and 3" left at 25 yards. I can raise the group by filing the front sight, but is there any way except "Kentucky windage" to move the group to the right?

Also, CCI #11 and Remington #10 caps are both too loose for the nipples. Without "piching" the caps, they WILL fall off. What threads do the newer Piettas have, so I can order some new nipples? Is there another cap that would fit what I have?

It's better to have caps that need to be pinched to keep them on.

Old Crow;

Are you right handed? 3" at 25 yards isn't too bad and if you're right handed, you might be using a tad too much finger with your trigger pull. On the other hand, your gun may simply be shooting 3" left at 25. So, here's what I do. I take a small file and do one of two things. Either I shave a bit of sight off the side of the front sight I want the ball strike to move, or I open up the rear groove a bit on the side I want the ball strike to move. Only, after determining that this is the load I will continue to shoot.

Correcting for 3" at 25 yards is very small. It won't take too much work to make that up. Be careful.

Dan

I've got the very same gun you have. The original nipples went bad relatively quickly and had to be replaced. The nipples are 6 X .75 MM, and you should be able to find replacements through most of the suppliers. I just got a six pack of the TRESO's and the #11 Remington caps seem to fit snug and stay on well, good luck, hope this helps....

Just got a set of Treso's and a set of the nipples made by Thunder Ridge. I also have a Pietta 1858 and the nipples are for sure 6x.75mm. I have CCI, Remington, and RWS caps here, all #11: they all fit very snugly on both sets. I have yet to fire the thing, so I cannot tell you if the caps stay put during recoil.

Take your clyinder out of your Pietta Remington and Clamp the barrel in a padded vise....Try to tighten the barrel slightly. This will cant the front sight to the left and correct your windage. It only needs to turn a HAIR. So make yourself an index scratch under the barrel to see your progress.......................Bob

The problem with the caps is that they do not stay in place with recoil, sometimes even if pinched.

The tightening of the barrel seems like an idea I will try.

OldCrowkiller said:
The problem with the caps is that they do not stay in place with recoil, sometimes even if pinched.

The tightening of the barrel seems like an idea I will try.

Pinch them till they're a tight fit. It works on mine.

One other thing I have done with that pistol is use #10 caps for the first loading and then the 11's seem to stay on no problem with the fowling you get from the first round.

Back