• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 New Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy the complete part, hand and spring, from Dixie Gun Works for $5.95. If you heat the hand and spring in order to solder it will take some temper out of the spring. I've never seen a hand spring as manufactured by the factory soldered, only crimped. This is true whether it be a reproduction or original C&B revolver or SAA factory Colts.
Solid point and another piece of experience I'm glad to read about here. I'm building all of this into my knowledge database for the day when I have to change the hand spring in my own Remington.

You can buy the complete part, hand and spring, from Dixie Gun Works for $5.95. If you heat the hand and spring in order to solder it will take some temper out of the spring. I've never seen a hand spring as manufactured by the factory soldered, only crimped. This is true whether it be a reproduction or original C&B revolver or SAA factory Colts.
True, I'd open the slot and coat it with solder first, insert the spring, crimp, file and see what happens. I believe the crimp I put on it last night is going to hold though.

True, I'd open the slot and coat it with solder first, insert the spring, crimp, file and see what happens. I believe the crimp I put on it last night is going to hold though.
True, but be careful in crimping, too tight a crimp can work harden or crack the tab of the spring. I've had a Uberti 1866 carbine and a Pietta 1860 that was crimped too hard at the factory. The carbine hand spring snapped with the first backing of the hammer, and the Pietta 1860 cracked and snapped after a dozen or so shots. When I pulled the hand on both, the hand was severely crimped and mushroomed at the spring slot. The SAA Colts are barely crimped at all, matter of fact, some are to where you can slide the spring in and out with thumb pressure. That is not a problem on the Colt clones since the hand spring has more of an "S" curvature and the close tolerances of the frame keeps everything in place.

Here is a link to the DGW hand and spring. For $5.95, I keep a couple on hand just in case. I've had several fit and time perfect with just a little polishing.

DGW 1858 Remington Hand and Spring

why would you say that?
You really ask that question??? I asked a very specific question, and he posted a picture of a part to a gun I've seen in my own hands because I have my own Remington.

Can you honestly say that posting a picture of a part with nothing more in response to a specific question about soldering versus not soldering is truly helpful???

Seriously???

If you read Erwan's posts 11 & 13 I think you'll find he answered your question. "You don't have to weld or glue : just crimp the new spring in the slot..." (from his post #13). When I read your post (#14) I thought it was harsh. It seemed you already had an answer and you were upset that he suggested an alternative method of repair. One, BTW, that seems to be used by the majority who replace the hand spring unless they go on to do a coil spring repair. ✌️

If you read Erwan's posts 11 & 13 I think you'll find he answered your question. "You don't have to weld or glue : just crimp the new spring in the slot..." (from his post #13). When I read your post (#14) I thought it was harsh. It seemed you already had an answer and you were upset that he suggested an alternative method of repair. One, BTW, that seems to be used by the majority who replace the hand spring unless they go on to do a coil spring repair. ✌️
The reason I was so harsh was because putting a picture of a part with nothing more is just a smart-alec move.

You can already see where I responded with gratitude to the ones who posted real discussion points. THEY are the reason I read the posts on this site. THEY are the reason I ask questions. I have no preconceived notions because I haven't been shooting black powder long enough to have any I'm willing to go to war over.

The sentence I quoted in my post above (#26) was included just below the photos. I may be looking at it differently than you but I felt it answered the question "Doesn't the spring have to be soldered in?" "There's more than one way to skin a cat" but so long as you end up with a skun cat that's all that matters. ✌️

Yes I can see where you have responded with gratitude and unfortunately that's something we don't always see enough of here. :thumb:

Back